Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Originally Posted by Weebie
Australians aren't used to get ripping off it's more that money isn't a problem. Many Australians live in million dollar homes whilst in Britain it's a small minority.
If you have a millionaire and he's happy to pay $100 for something that he can get for $50 they are getting ripped off but they're probably so loaded they don't mind. And them paying that keeps the Davy Jones' of the world in business. Now ozzies are wising up and Dave Jones is crying

And I don't think most ozzies live in million dollar homes - unless you're talking about those on the north shore of sydney. Even then...

Last edited by itxrd; Jul 20th 2011 at 10:05 am.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

ldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
1.5% for everyone, rising to 2.5%.

But the income tax rate itself is higher here.

So on $80k you'd pay $17550 (22%)

vs on £35k you'd pay £5505 (16%)

...most would consider those comparable incomes.

So although NI is much higher, you can bet that a substantial portion of that tax difference goes on funding Medicare.
This isn't right at all, I earn £30k and based on current stoppages will pay £6851.52 this year tax and NI so where the figure of £5505 on £35k comes from I have no idea. Unless that is just the tax portion not including NI which is incorrect since NI is just tax by another name
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:18 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll swap you our $600 bill if you like

Just got our latest quarterly electric bill. $270 - huge increase from last year!

That's with gas heating, gas hot water & gas for cooking!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:21 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
I've noticed saffron has become expensive. It was $1240/kg in Woolies the other day.
My mum makes lovely saffron cake and buns.

She doesn't bother with pounds and pence anymore.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:23 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is a huge number of people that wont agree that money isn't a problem. I can't personally think of anyone that lives in a million $ house but in many areas houses are still grossly overvalued.

Australians aren't used to get ripping off it's more that money isn't a problem. Many Australians live in million dollar homes whilst in Britain it's a small minority.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:42 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THENbc

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The message appears to be getting through, and has for some time. Noone I know pays top dollar anywhere unless they want a top dollar experience if you know what I mean...I can only guess the average Aussie doesn't know any better.

What annoys me is the way manufacturing has gone to China - in this case, the 'Chinese don't know any better'. There has been a marked decline this last 10 years. I was looking at higher end stuff in Melbourne, and even the 'high-quality' Italian (the 'Italians know how to do it!') stuff was poor quality.

In London you need to pay over a grand, and about 2-3+ in Australia to get something good resembing a suit. There are some good independents here in Melbourne.

Not much choice in FNQ...M&S is dreadfully middle-class though..sorry tis true.
You'd have to be desperate...
Getting everything from M&S is nostalgic. A little like when my mum bought long lasting quality
from 'mark's' that had good hems that could be taken in and let out. No point having a decent wardrobe up here or living on a boat. I'm 'daggy'
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:00 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
It'll be a very brave government that takes on the NHS. Thatcher thought about it, but it does appear quite sacred to the average Britisher and if messed around with will result in great peril to the sitting government.
They gotta do what they gotta do, I don't give a shit either way.

Either the UK cuts government spending drastically or they become Greece mk 2, it's up to them.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Not much choice in FNQ...M&S is dreadfully middle-class though..sorry tis true. You'd have to be desperate...
I may be desperate (though not exactly middle class) but some of their clothes suit me, and are perfect for work, so
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:33 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

sounds like Australia is on a par with Ireland prices,except for us medicare is a bonus as health care is not free here,its very expensive. food is expensive so are utility bills and are increasing regardless of the recession. we see less of our wages thanks to crappy budgets

a 5 bed house here were I live cost euro 750 a month checking exchange rate its $991.88 for comparison 5 bed house in Brisbane is $2200 per month that's a lot of money!

but then it might not be when you take in wages in Australia if your earning more it all works out I guess.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:43 pm
Banned

Yes IF you are earning more then you don't notice as much, you would want to be earning a fair bit more though. I keep reading people saying 'of course people earn a lot more in Australia' which is by no means across the board, many earn less and others earn more. Don't be fooled into thinking that you just come here and automatically earn more.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:00 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes IF you are earning more then you don't notice as much, you would want to be earning a fair bit more though. I keep reading people saying 'of course people earn a lot more in Australia' which is by no means across the board, many earn less and others earn more. Don't be fooled into thinking that you just come here and automatically earn more.
I think for many of us who have been here for a few years it's impossible to know, we can only speculate about what we would be earning in the UK. Sure my wage converted into GBP looks pretty good at today's exchange rates, but I'm also surprised when I find out how much some people over there in similar roles earn now.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:04 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chris955
Very true! you would be very lucky to come over and be earning good money straight away, when we were there DH earned OK money, but all the jobs went for tradies on the sunshine coast and he ended up working in Cloundra race course, money was very bad think we got 400 a week rent was 350 we survived on savings and we were entitled to centerlink which paid our rent.

but wouldn't ya know just before we came home he got offered a job that would have paid 40 dollars an hour! but was that old cliche it wasn't what he knew but who he knew!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:04 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldticp
This isn't right at all, I earn £30k and based on current stoppages will pay £6851.52 this year tax and NI so where the figure of £5505 on £35k comes from I have no idea. Unless that is just the tax portion not including NI which is incorrect since NI is just tax by another name
As was already clarified the numbers you are quoting are income tax only. The point was that you're not paying an extra 12% tax (NI) in the UK just to fund the NHS. In my first post I stated that the total income tax + NI/medicare levies personal burden was about 24-25% in both countries on those incomes.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

But living in a million dollar home here, is like living in a half a million pound home in the UK. Comparitively. And plenty of people do that.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Just got our latest quarterly electric bill. $270 - huge increase from last year!

That's with gas heating, gas hot water & gas for cooking!
We've just got ours too. $170. We don't have gas, so electric for heating, cooking and water heating. Stupidly expensive, but then it has been cold. Should be down to about $100 or less next quarter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.