Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The reality of Perth's resources boom.

The reality of Perth's resources boom.

Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default The reality of Perth's resources boom.

The resources boom shows no sign of ending and the good times keep on rolling. I just got passed this email:

Hi xxxx,

Good to hear from you.

This is what’s happening I have a major client GRD Minproc based on St. Georges Tce. They are looking for a bunch of people including Structural Designers These are contract positions and will be for 12 months and on offer is a $20,000.00 sign on bonus $10,000.00 when you start and $10,000.00 on completion of the project plus they are offering a retention bonus of 10% on earnings backdated to January the 1st (this does exclude the sign on bonus) not a bad enticement. The project is a Copper plant down in the Congo no travel is expected. As for rate this would be negotiated with the individuals based on experience. The fact they have put the bonus structure in to the equation I think they would be on the money with the rates if not they won’t attract the people they want.

Hours on offer minimum 50 per week.

If you could get back to me and if interested attach a copy of your resume if you would like me to submit your details.

They are also looking for the following so if any of your friends or contacts might be interested please feel free to pass on my details.

Look forward to hearing from you soon

Cheers

Nigel Pedersen
National Manager - Infrastructure Support Services
BDS People
Level 2, Grand Chancellor Building
15 Leichhardt Street
Spring Hill Qld 4000
Mobile: 0413 629 016
Office: 07 3105 4323

Parents - get your kids off to Tafe to study engineering. There is a chronic shortage of these people in Perth - as there is in the UK too. After a couple of years training they will be able to fast-track to the big bucks and have a career that will keep them busy for years to come.

If you know anyone who does this in the UK, tell them to get their asses over here and cash in.
Attached Thumbnails The reality of Perth's resources boom.-senior-designers.jpg  

Last edited by Amazulu; Jan 17th 2008 at 4:10 am.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:15 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The reality of Perth's resources boom.

Originally Posted by Amazulu
50 hour week minimum? - f**k that!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:16 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

The resources boom shows no sign of ending and the good times keep on rolling. I just got passed this email:

Hi xxxx,

Good to hear from you.

This is what’s happening I have a major client GRD Minproc based on St. Georges Tce. They are looking for a bunch of people including Structural Designers These are contract positions and will be for 12 months and on offer is a $20,000.00 sign on bonus $10,000.00 when you start and $10,000.00 on completion of the project plus they are offering a retention bonus of 10% on earnings backdated to January the 1st (this does exclude the sign on bonus) not a bad enticement. The project is a Copper plant down in the Congo no travel is expected. As for rate this would be negotiated with the individuals based on experience. The fact they have put the bonus structure in to the equation I think they would be on the money with the rates if not they won’t attract the people they want.

If you could get back to me and if interested attach a copy of your resume if you would like me to submit your details.

They are also looking for the following so if any of your friends or contacts might be interested please feel free to pass on my details.

Look forward to hearing from you soon

Cheers

Nigel Pedersen
National Manager - Infrastructure Support Services
BDS People
Level 2, Grand Chancellor Building
15 Leichhardt Street
Spring Hill Qld 4000
Mobile: 0413 629 016
Office: 07 3105 4323

Parents - get your kids off to Tafe to study engineering. There is a chronic shortage of these people in Perth - as there is in the UK too. After a couple of years training they will be able to fast-track to the big bucks and have a career that will keep them busy for years to come.

If you know anyone who does this in the UK, tell them to get their asses over here and cash in.
Sounds good. My old man doesn't do microstation otherwise I am sure he would be going for that.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
You're obviously not a grabbing contractor like me!
They're paying $80/hr, so that's $4k/wk or $180k pa based on a 45 week year. So with the $20k signing on bonus and the 10% ($18k) retention bonus, that's $218k for a year's work - and that's Perth based and not FIFO. Superb.

I'm a contractor. If you want loyalty get a dog!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

They're paying $80/hr, so that's $4k/wk or $180k pa based on a 45 week year. So with the $20k signing on bonus and the 10% ($18k) retention bonus, that's $218k for a year's work - and that's Perth based and not FIFO. Superb.

Hi Amazulu

Is there any need for Building Services requirements on these projects as I am arriving in March and whilst I know there is plenty of Building Services work around, a foot into this world would be worth it if the opportunities are there.

Cheers for any info

Mick
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:09 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Hi amazulu good reading and good pay too but id like to as you a question .
Do you think the resources boom will continue ?
The reason i ask this is because of the banking meltdown in america and what seems like an impending recession there and with the states representing about 20-25% of the world consumption do you think the problems in the states will affect us here in aussie ?
The reason ive asked this is because you are probably more qualified to give an answer as up until a couple of months ago i would probably have agrred with you that the boom would keep going ,but in the last couple of months i have started to see a huge slow down in construction here in perth and with interest rates going up here and down in the usa and the uk and with the ongoing strength of the aussie dollar .Wouldnt this make our resources more expensve to china thus making them look elsewhere for supplies .
Personally i havent seen such a slowdown in construction here in perth since the last major one of 1989-1991 and to me its not a good sign for any of the major industries .
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

What type of construction you in Kong, as I am due out in March and will be looking for Building Services work, is it going to dry up just as I land

Any feedback welcome

Cheers

Mick
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:25 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickagnew
What type of construction you in Kong, as I am due out in March and will be looking for Building Services work, is it going to dry up just as I land

Any feedback welcome

Cheers

Mick
Hi mick ,i am in housing .I am hoping its only a temporary blip and things will pick back up .Others i know at the moment seem to be stuggling a little too ,so only time will tell .I am sub-contractor .
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by king kong
Hi mick ,i am in housing .I am hoping its only a temporary blip and things will pick back up .Others i know at the moment seem to be stuggling a little too ,so only time will tell .I am sub-contractor .
Cheers mate

I thought there wasnt enough housing to go around?
Old Jan 17th 2008, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickagnew

Any feedback welcome

Cheers

Mick

If it does, there's always Adelaide - no sign of a slow down here. People are camping out for days to get land
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:51 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by king kong
Hi amazulu good reading and good pay too but id like to as you a question .
Do you think the resources boom will continue ?
The reason i ask this is because of the banking meltdown in america and what seems like an impending recession there and with the states representing about 20-25% of the world consumption do you think the problems in the states will affect us here in aussie ?
The reason ive asked this is because you are probably more qualified to give an answer as up until a couple of months ago i would probably have agrred with you that the boom would keep going ,but in the last couple of months i have started to see a huge slow down in construction here in perth and with interest rates going up here and down in the usa and the uk and with the ongoing strength of the aussie dollar .Wouldnt this make our resources more expensve to china thus making them look elsewhere for supplies .
Personally i havent seen such a slowdown in construction here in perth since the last major one of 1989-1991 and to me its not a good sign for any of the major industries .
There was a thread on this sort of thing a couple of days ago. Amazulu and I agreed that China and India are not that reliant on the US these days. Then in the paper yesterday I read the CEO of Rio Tinto estimated the effect on the chinese economy would only be 1% and we are predicting another 50% rise in the cost of iron ore we sell to China this year. I think it will take civil war in China or a pandemic to knock the boom at the moment.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

just what i thought
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:36 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
just what i thought
I guess it's a good job if you hate your wife and kids.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:52 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
just what i thought
That is my initial reaction too, but then I see these guys put 50 hours on their timesheets and arrive after me and leave before (I probably work 40-45 anyway). My experience of these jobs is they pay 30-50% more than employment at the clerical end and up to 100% at managerial level. There is a risk you could be axed at a minutes notice or even told to relocate in Australia but to double your money has to be tempting. Some of these guys do 18 months on a job then don't work for 6 months. Others are looking to retire mid-40's. Others drive Porsches, have a $70K boat on the drive and a second home in Margaret River.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

I guess it's a good job if you hate your wife and kids.
I can tell you're not a contractor.
If you start at 6:30am, take 1/2hr for lunch, you can be home by 5:30-5:45pm and you've done a 10hr day. All good. A young guy hitting this kind of money - $200k+ - and being sensible can set himself up for life after 10 years. If you are doing 37.5hrs and earning $60k it will take your lifetime, you will be constantly living on the edge financially and probably won't have enough to retire on.

You either 'get' contracting or you don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.