Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reality on costs or not?

Reality on costs or not?

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 1:59 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reality on costs or not?

sounds awful
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 2:06 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Reality on costs or not?

Originally Posted by bcworld
Really? I've never seen a Lidl. Do you mean Aldi?
YES! I mean Aldi! Sorry everyone... trying to work and type shit on here at the same time!

BB
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about

Unfortunately Aldi has yet to set up in WA.

Given that they have given created some real competition for Woolworths and Coles in the other states I suspect that they (Aldi) will be kept out as long as possible.

Not that I'm suggesting WA retailers are biased against competition (and abetted by the state givernment).
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
NZ also has only two companies that own all the supermarkets - and they don't have Lidl.

BB
They are owned by 2 companies, one of which I think is even Australian (woolworths/Progressive Enterprises) but prices, and choice of food, vary quite dramatically in some stores.

New World (brand is owned by Foodstuffs but is a co-op), Countdown (Woolworths), Foodtown (Woolworths), Pack N Save (Foodstuffs), Woolworths (Woolworths - and I only saw my first Woolworths in Whangarei at the weekend). Foodtown and Woolworths will all be rebranded to Countdown over the next few years.

There's also more speciality shops such as Nosh which have good deals, huge chinese hypermarkets out at places like Botany etc. (Auckland but my sis in law says the same of Wellington.)

It is also a misnomer to think that the cheap food will also be found in supermarkets (something similar in the UK) - my local frut and veggie man and the Mr Fruity by the roadside offer excellent value, for example. My aunt in Nambour often won't go to the supermarkets for food but prefers using her local shops. You get more variety that way too

Outside of the urban areas you won't have so much choice.....but I don't see how that will be different to Australia, or the UK for that matter (online shopping just isn't the same!!).

It's also hardly the end of the world that there is no Lidl in either country! only a good thing!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Being on holiday somewhere and living there are two very different experiences. If your friend from NSW had to pay utility bills, visit the doctor, buy prescriptions or even do a complete weekly food shop she would soon be realising how expensive it is there, and the lower wages in NZ make it even more so.
BB
Disagree. I find some things comparable to the UK and some things, such as my utility bill, even cheaper. The cost of gas, for example, is unbelievable now. Pescription charges are not expensive. My weekly shop is not expensive.

Of course, I'm not sure how that compares to Oz as I've only been there on holiday (and found it rather pricey). But as I understand it, if you don't have some form of PR in Oz then you aren't entitled to state healthcare, which will cost you a small fortune if you wind up needing it? Or perhaps that is state by state, not sure? It all seemed a bit confusing!

Last edited by londonescapee; Nov 23rd 2010 at 4:08 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:20 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonescapee
Disagree. I find some things comparable to the UK and some things, such as my utility bill, even cheaper.
We're not talking about the UK. Just NZ compared to Australia.

BB
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Ok, we did a $500 shop at our local Woolworths (Lower Hutt, Wellington) on Sunday and bought a wide range of stuff for the week.

Last night we logged on to Woolworths in OZ for comparison against the receipt we had from NZ.

In every singe case we compared, the price in OZ was cheaper and in most cases 10% cheaper after we'd converted the AU$ price to NZ$.

When we consider that we'll actually be earning more actual AU$ that NZ$ it makes the costs in OZ even better.

There is no doubt food shopping (at woolworths) is most certainly cheaper in Australia.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

We're not talking about the UK. Just NZ compared to Australia.

BB
Yes thanks for that. I did understand, hence why I ALSO said that I didn't know what the costs would be in Australia except when I go there on holiday I find it rather expensive. But in so many of your posts you go on and on and on about how expensive NZ is which is simply not neccessarily the case for everyone.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:25 am
Victorian Evangelist

Yes thanks for that. I did understand, hence why I ALSO said that I didn't know what the costs would be in Australia except when I go there on holiday I find it rather expensive. But in so many of your posts you go on and on and on about how expensive NZ is which is simply not neccessarily the case for everyone.
Sure.

But - I have never yet heard of anyone who became worse off financially by moving from NZ to Australia.

BB
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:27 am

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

RE Shopping, I definitely remember watching on today tonight a few months ago where they bought Aussie made products in Aus and NZ and NZ basket was considerably cheeper than the AUS one, even though, they were made in Aus, it was shocking difference in price
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by teambwr47
Ok, we did a $500 shop at our local Woolworths (Lower Hutt, Wellington) on Sunday and bought a wide range of stuff for the week.

Last night we logged on to Woolworths in OZ for comparison against the receipt we had from NZ.

In every singe case we compared, the price in OZ was cheaper and in most cases 10% cheaper after we'd converted the AU$ price to NZ$.

When we consider that we'll actually be earning more actual AU$ that NZ$ it makes the costs in OZ even better.

There is no doubt food shopping (at woolworths) is most certainly cheaper in Australia.
could it be because the AUS$$$ has got higher? so it effects the exchange when converting?
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:29 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
RE Shopping, I definitely remember watching on today tonight a few months ago where they bought Aussie made products in Aus and NZ and NZ basket was considerably cheeper than the AUS one, even though, they were made in Aus, it was shocking difference in price
Weird isn't it? My FIL was frustrated at how much cheaper NZ wines were in Dan Murphy's than in NZ!

BB
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Sure.

But - I have never yet heard of anyone who became worse off financially by moving from NZ to Australia.

BB
Money is not and should not be the main reason for anyone emigrating anywhere unless you of course are about to be destitute in a ditch. Somehow I doubt that is applicable to many people on this forum. You'll find that happiness about earning more $$ versus inner peace or whatever it is called will be rather short lived. If you base your life's happiness around how much you earn then imo that's a very sad state of affairs. Career development, new experiences etc is somewhat different - but just for money's sake and nothing else is a mistake.

I will migrate back to my side of the Tasman now - but just as a parting thought, both sets of my parents, having spent time in both Oz and NZ, have found NZ cheaper. Good luck to the OP with what they decide
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:34 am

Oh I LOVE Dans.. yes u would think they would charge for the cost of import on top of it.

I think its really hard to compare costs of 2 places when its in totally different currency - its like when people compare UK to Aus, it probably all evens out in the end, and you are paid in AUS$ so you have to not compare, cos its erelivant (spelling??) anyway....

I look at houses in NZ and things I see and hear and talk about moving there as we would be better off, I think its the same everywhere you get paid and spend your money and its never quite enough
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:38 am
Victorian Evangelist

Money is not and should not be the main reason for anyone emigrating anywhere unless you of course are about to be destitute in a ditch. Somehow I doubt that is applicable to many people on this forum. You'll find that happiness about earning more $$ versus inner peace or whatever it is called will be rather short lived. If you base your life's happiness around how much you earn then imo that's a very sad state of affairs. Career development, new experiences etc is somewhat different - but just for money's sake and nothing else is a mistake.
Correct. Money does not bring happiness

BUT

lack of money normally causes unhappiness!

And anyway this thread is specifically about costs ie money.

I will migrate back to my side of the Tasman now - but just as a parting thought, both sets of my parents, having spent time in both Oz and NZ, have found NZ cheaper.
How long ago? I'll wager they haven't lived in Oz in the last 10 years if they find it cheaper than NZ

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.