Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reality check - monthly budget

Wikiposts

Reality check - monthly budget

Old Nov 27th 2005, 2:23 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Reality check - monthly budget

[QUOTE=thatsnotquiteright][QUOTE=webgum]Interesting thread, Worzel. I admit it got my hackles (sp?) up at first. We are a one income family here (my husband works) coming from 1 and 1/2 incomes in UK. If Ed offered me money to do housekeeping stuff etc I would probably punch his lights out!!.....

So you have the same system....?
Hence the apology at the end of my post!! My hackles were up more about the way Worzel phrased it.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:11 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webgum
if you could post a budget planner for those of us lesser mortals (non-accountants) whose monthly budgeting leaves something to be desired it would be hugely appreciate !!
I start by adding take home pay to any other income like child benefit and interest. I work mine out on a monthly basis.

Next I deduct any regular monthly payments like rent and all the utilities. Go through bank statements / bills in case you forget any.

Then deduct a figure for shopping / petrol that are similar figures every month.

Finally deduct a yearly average for other things like buying Xmas/birthday presents, clothes, holidays, car repairs etc that spring up occassionally. Any month you don't have these expenses put the average away in a savings account (or tea caddy) so it will be there when you need it and to stop yourself blowing it.

What is left is yours to spend. Going back to the original post I split this between Sam and me and give her half plus $200 for groceries.

Anyway. the trouble is, you will greatly under-estimate what you are spending as disposable income when it is a few dollars here and there. So being a sad accountant I go through my bank statement and analyse what I have spent. I don't imagine anyone else will want to do this (it is a habit I got into when I first started studying to be a bean-counter as extra practice that has stuck with me and because I struggled to make ends meet in a crumby bedsit) but I recommend you try it for a month and you might surprise yourself. When you realise what you are spending on your weakness (beer, shoes, eating out etc) it may help you get over it!!!
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:28 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by worzel
I start by adding take home pay to any other income like child benefit and interest. I work mine out on a monthly basis.

Next I deduct any regular monthly payments like rent and all the utilities. Go through bank statements / bills in case you forget any.

Then deduct a figure for shopping / petrol that are similar figures every month.

Finally deduct a yearly average for other things like buying Xmas/birthday presents, clothes, holidays, car repairs etc that spring up occassionally. Any month you don't have these expenses put the average away in a savings account (or tea caddy) so it will be there when you need it and to stop yourself blowing it.

What is left is yours to spend. Going back to the original post I split this between Sam and me and give her half plus $200 for groceries.

Anyway. the trouble is, you will greatly under-estimate what you are spending as disposable income when it is a few dollars here and there. So being a sad accountant I go through my bank statement and analyse what I have spent. I don't imagine anyone else will want to do this (it is a habit I got into when I first started studying to be a bean-counter as extra practice that has stuck with me and because I struggled to make ends meet in a crumby bedsit) but I recommend you try it for a month and you might surprise yourself. When you realise what you are spending on your weakness (beer, shoes, eating out etc) it may help you get over it!!!
Ta for that, in fact, I did do something similar a couple of months ago, and it really helped, I've just got to fine tune it now I think. Maybe repeat the exercise? I've definitely cut down on the cappucinos since arriving!! And, less although that's meant changing from bottles to cask wine at home!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:03 am

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Good advice, we are "good" with money but I find when I have to really pull the belt in and cook up those lovely meals I ate as a student I get really depressed, hunt out the ATM card and blow some cash on some choccy
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
Good advice, we are "good" with money but I find when I have to really pull the belt in and cook up those lovely meals I ate as a student I get really depressed, hunt out the ATM card and blow some cash on some choccy
Jacket Spuds with beans is a clasic
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:13 am

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Spag bol, anything with cheese and 24p bread from Safeway :scared:
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:52 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Trouble is Heinz beans are $1/tin over here and another post said potatoes are expensive too (though we tend to eat pasta / rice rather than spuds so I don't know). So it could be cheaper to head to the food court
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:09 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Must admit I do the finances in our house, if Mr. annqldau did them the back of our wardrobe would be full of shiny car's and other big boys toys with two wheels and we would have no money left for food etc... :scared: .

We are finding things sort of even out between food and petrol etc. like you've said some things cheaper then others exspensive.

Finding the wage cut is a problem as my hubbies first job will pay a lot less than UK equivilant but then don't have to go out as much as at least it is nice and warm in the garden.

House price alone could make the difference for many as will be cheaper than most UK houses of equivilant size.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:19 am
ABCDiamond

Trouble is Heinz beans are $1/tin over here and another post said potatoes are expensive too (though we tend to eat pasta / rice rather than spuds so I don't know). So it could be cheaper to head to the food court
Todays Potatoes Prices:
Woolworths: Potatoes Sebago (brushed) 4kg $4.74 ($1.19 kg)
Fruit & Veg Shop: Potatoes 5kg $2.99 (60c kg)

How much are Potatoes in the UK now ?

Also in Woolworths:
Heinz Baked Beans Tomato Sauce 130g $0.79
Heinz Baked Beans Tomato Sauce 220g $1.06
Heinz Baked Beans Tomato Sauce 420g $1.56

Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:25 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by annqldau
House price alone could make the difference for many as will be cheaper than most UK houses of equivilant size.
And there is the saving grace. Our rent (Mortgage will be similar) is the same in $ terms as our mortgage in was in GBP.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:45 am
kneading my cushion

And there is the saving grace. Our rent (Mortgage will be similar) is the same in $ terms as our mortgage in was in GBP.
This is what's hurting us. Our rent here is nearly double our mortgage in the UK! Until we sell the UK house, we'll just be squeaking by here!