Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Realistic amount of money to take to Oz?

Realistic amount of money to take to Oz?

Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

debs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nice
Default Realistic amount of money to take to Oz?

Hi Guys

Because we have recently decided to now rent out our UK house and move to Oz what would you consider to be a reasonable amount of money to live off when you first arrive out there. We are thinking of possibly re-mortgaging for another £20,000 so we have a little capital to play with when we arrive.

Surely there must be people who arrive in Oz with very little money if they have no property to sell.

Would £20,000 be a realistic amount of money to get us by for the first one to two years bearing in mind I only want to initially rent in Perth when I get out there.

Kind regards

Debbie
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:40 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of
Default Re: Realistic amount of money to take to Oz?

Originally Posted by debs66
Hi Guys

Because we have recently decided to now rent out our UK house and move to Oz what would you consider to be a reasonable amount of money to live off when you first arrive out there. We are thinking of possibly re-mortgaging for another £20,000 so we have a little capital to play with when we arrive.

Surely there must be people who arrive in Oz with very little money if they have no property to sell.

Would £20,000 be a realistic amount of money to get us by for the first one to two years bearing in mind I only want to initially rent in Perth when I get out there.

Kind regards

Debbie
We took £20,000 with us - we had not sold our house in the UK although it was on the market. We found that amount of money more than sufficient BUT my wife had a job to go to and I found my perfect job within 3 months.
The £20,000 paid for 6 months rent, 2 cars, furniture etc
We sold our house in the UK after being in Oz 6 months and bought.

Depending on your circumstances - how many mouths you have to feed, whether you want a car etc, you could live off £20,000 for 12 - 18 months without a job.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
We took £20,000 with us - we had not sold our house in the UK although it was on the market. We found that amount of money more than sufficient BUT my wife had a job to go to and I found my perfect job within 3 months.
The £20,000 paid for 6 months rent, 2 cars, furniture etc
We sold our house in the UK after being in Oz 6 months and bought.

Depending on your circumstances - how many mouths you have to feed, whether you want a car etc, you could live off £20,000 for 12 - 18 months without a job.
i must admit im a little worried.

i plan to go with about 2000 GBP, im sure it will be enough to get me by.

im a trades man, but i understand it will be difficult to get the dream job but i will work hard and take any job that comes my way.

im prepaired to live in a tent if i must, but i am a single guy with no ties, it will be different for families.

i will say, what ever you take with you, you will live off until you all find work, best of luck to you all

but money is not evrything, love and smiles will get you through, thats what im going on but ive always been a gambler

good luck
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:55 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by debs66
Hi Guys

Kind regards

Debbie
Had that amount of debt when I arrived, it was real for me
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:39 am
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light

We came with £6000 as house sale fell thru, it hasnt been too bad but hubby had a job to go to which was a help, there are 4 of us that has paid rent, bought furniture and a deposit down on a car unfortunately having no money we had to get car on finance but we get by. £ 20,000 is a good amount of money but be careful not to waste it as you can get carried away here.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:54 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by docgp

im a trades man, but i understand it will be difficult to get the dream job but i will work hard and take any job that comes my way.

im prepaired to live in a tent if i must, but i am a single guy with no ties, it will be different for families.

i will say, what ever you take with you, you will live off until you all find work, best of luck to you all

but money is not evrything, love and smiles will get you through, thats what im going on but ive always been a gambler

good luck
I admire your optimism.

However, 2k is a piddly amount.. if you are gonna have to get a vehicle, tools ( as a tradie ) fuel, insurance, get yourself certified ( not the nut house )

Admiration for the tent thought.. but mate 2k ! ppl who go to Calella for a 10 day holiday take more than that !

Wish you luck !!!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:50 pm
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
I admire your optimism.

However, 2k is a piddly amount.. if you are gonna have to get a vehicle, tools ( as a tradie ) fuel, insurance, get yourself certified ( not the nut house )

Admiration for the tent thought.. but mate 2k ! ppl who go to Calella for a 10 day holiday take more than that !

Wish you luck !!!
I think he will be fine on 2k, we did it on 6k and there are 4 of us we have been here 4 months and are fine, good luck chick you'll be alright with your determination you will have no problem, people are just silly when it comes to money and think they need loads of it but it doesnt make you happy.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 11:16 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to know the experiences of a family who have emigrated successfully with very limited funds, do a search for posts by "Wholeworldwindow".

Buzzy
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

sarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Realistic amount of money to take to Oz?

good luck

I think you'll be okay with the 2K - we went out a few years ago with about that between 2 of us! we were fine...
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I admire your optimism.

Wish you luck !!!
I think he'll be fine on £2k. I only plan on taking £5k with me, and leaving the rest behind. I couldn't live in a tent though.

When you don't have a family to look after, you can get by on much less. I could eat baked beans for months, live in a tiny apartment, ride a bike instead of drive a car, all until I got a job. A family couldn't be expected to do that lol.
On holiday, you don't really live to a budget, you spend to have a good time, so it's a little different. I mean, you're not going to be going on trips, buying souvenirs etc.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:18 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Im not saying you cannot survive on 2k, that isnt the point, Im sure if we all knuckled down, then that 2k grows in scale and proportion.

However, how would you set yourself up as a tradie ? with just 2k?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice

Im not saying you cannot survive on 2k, that isnt the point, Im sure if we all knuckled down, then that 2k grows in scale and proportion.

However, how would you set yourself up as a tradie ? with just 2k?
i have no intentions of setting up as a electrician on my own,

i am hoping to be offered a job with a company that can provide the likes of a van, insurance etc etc.

The 2k in question is to just look after me with a bit of rent, food and some entertainment, i plan to work as soon as poosiable upon my arrival in OZ

doc
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:13 pm
Banned

i have no intentions of setting up as a electrician on my own,

i am hoping to be offered a job with a company that can provide the likes of a van, insurance etc etc.

The 2k in question is to just look after me with a bit of rent, food and some entertainment, i plan to work as soon as poosiable upon my arrival in OZ

doc
Okies, Initially you said you were a tradies man, not a sparky... which could make a difference, as a lot of electrical firms, do have their own trade vehicles for their guys....

but then a lot dont !

Good Luck Ste
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:40 pm
East Mids to Vic

Laura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really nice

Hi Debbie

I'm planning to take over about £18k, hopefully if all goes to plan at the start of next year. We're a family of 4 and as soon as we know that we have the visa I'm going to start to email companies for OH and...for me too (hopefully not!!)
I was reading a thread the other week and it seems to be a fairly reasonable amount to take and should last a good few months. I'm not planning on buying a new car initially and the rentals in the areas I'm looking at seem quite reasonable.
Will you also have funds left from renting your home here to boost it up every month??

Good luck Laura
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Hi All,

I don't think there is a realistic amount of money to bring with you as it all depends on yourself, only you know what your spending habits are like.

There are people who take £100,000 + and people who only go with the clothes on there back, obviously this will be a harder option, but if your willing to work hard and keep the purse strings very tight, I think anything is possible.

Me and the OH were planning on taking £20k but the way the housing market is, we may have to settle for £15k possibly £10k. We have no kids at the minute which would be a help, but we do have a dog we are planning to take, before we even get there, this is gonna cost £2500.00. This is going to definately limit are options and make things harder :curse:

If you do your research and TRY to get some interviews lined up before you go, this surely may take some pressures off.

Don't know if this has helped, but just my op.

Donna.
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.