Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Realestate au.com

Realestate au.com

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 5:25 pm
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road
Default Realestate au.com

have been looking at property on Realestate.com/au prices of property look pretty good but wife thinks they must be old web pages ,any one now if they portyray a real estimate of property any feed back always good.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Default Re: Realestate au.com

They are upto date. Heres another site it lets you pick what area you want to have a look at www.domain.com.au
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 5:35 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pike
have been looking at property on Realestate.com/au prices of property look pretty good but wife thinks they must be old web pages ,any one now if they portyray a real estimate of property any feed back always good.
No prices are right on the web site. The east coast has peaked and is dropping in some areas and wa is rising in price but in general you get loads more for your money than in most of the uk.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 5:46 pm
stuck in twilight

Thank's for web site book marked it for later'

I have heard prices are coming down in the east hope so might have enough to squeeze a boat with the change.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Helium Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the one I enjoy looking at....
http://www.ljhooker.com.au/
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:00 pm
ABCDiamond

They will sometimes have some older listings, but you do have the option when searching to change the "Ordered by:" section from "default" to "latest listings".

That way, the first property shown will be the latest one entered on the system, etc.

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 11:23 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Perthforme
No prices are right on the web site. The east coast has peaked and is dropping in some areas and wa is rising in price but in general you get loads more for your money than in most of the uk.
Except in Sydney. I know. I live there now and recently lived in UK.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 11:51 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank's for web site book marked it for later'

I have heard prices are coming down in the east hope so might have enough to squeeze a boat with the change.
Maybe - just avoid Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane (unless you're absolutely loaded of course!)!!!

Australian Property Monitor stated this morning that, with the current 0.25% interest rate rise, it expects prices in Sydney to change between -1 to +2%. I think Brisbane was 0% to -3% change. 0.5% will ioncrease that to about -5% to -8% in Syd/Melb/Bris I seem to recall.

For interest, go to http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Subu....aspx?mode=buy to check out the demographics of a particular Australian suburbs (you just need the name of the suburb)
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 3:08 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Be wary what you read on the property websites. Like estate agents in the UK, Australian real estate agents are prone to exaggeration etc. I've just been looking on the domain website, where I read that one property was close to Marrickville's 'cafe society'. I must have missed that whenever I've visted. I'm sure there's a coffee shop or two there, but reading the blurb I'm reminded of a delightful Parisian suburb, not the reality of the area's slightly depressing, down-at-heel shopping strip.

Like in the UK, the most popular homes are in the most expensive areas. Difference I think is that people coming over here are more willing to consider areas the likes of which they wouldn't dream of looking in back home. Maybe a lack of knowledge of the areas, or a lack of stereotypes or misinformation makes them so?
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
Like in the UK, the most popular homes are in the most expensive areas.
Yup. Like anywhere, you get what you pay for. If somewhere's cheap, it's cheap for a reason.

The best spots in town - for whatever reason (cooler, harbour views, near beach, near CBD etc) - will always cost the most. People in Sydney are pretty clued-up about their real estate and you won't find many bargains here.

The websites are usually very accurate. Occasionally, some properties will show up after they're sold, but that's caused by agents not updating their listings often enough.

Like anywhere, you do have to read between the lines. These are real estate agents writing this stuff, after all, and they're not exactly famous for their honesty and integrity....
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They will sometimes have some older listings, but you do have the option when searching to change the "Ordered by:" section from "default" to "latest listings".

That way, the first property shown will be the latest one entered on the system, etc.
also when you view the properties online,you can click on to the actual realestate agents and they will send regular updates of properties as they become available
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimtrish
also when you view the properties online,you can click on to the actual realestate agents and they will send regular updates of properties as they become available
An idea is to set up a new email account if you do that. I didn't, and am still trying to stop the email updates from all the agents we contacted. Its useful when you are looking for a house, good to get the latest updates etc,but its a pain in the a**e once you've got a place and settled, and they won't take me off their mailing lists, despite repeated requests. I didn't even sign up for them it was Mrs JTL, who kindly gave them my email address

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 4:10 pm
stuck in twilight

Thank's for the feed back very help full