Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The real real gost of migrating.

The real real gost of migrating.

Old Nov 18th 2003, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

mutznuts1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The real real gost of migrating.

Ok here goes.
total cost of getting to nz if you dont include a divorce(sorry gd have to keep chin up)work visa + student visas x4 £300 flights £2000 total £2300.I would reccomend people get back to there roots stop bitching stop being snobs and get on with what you want to do!!!!NZ is a great place as is aus the worst areas that both the countries have are 100 times better than the worst the uk has to offer,I am pi**ed off with the amount of people that want to get away from the uk because "thou neighbours are ruffians"etc etc .If you are not prepared to go to another country and live on nothing or next to nothing stop your whinging get on with life in your "village"and shut the ***** up on the forums..
sorry needed to let off steam about people that no matter where they go or who they meet they WILL NEVER BE HAPPY.
and they know who they are
Old Nov 18th 2003, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The real real gost of migrating.

With all due respect, you've put a very simplified cost on getting to NZ/Oz. Not everyone is a risk taker, some people are more cautious than others about making decisions - be they financial or otherwise - just as some people are more spontaneous than others. Everyone has their own agenda to consider - if only it were as simple as applying a single, simple theory.

Surely anyone who has concerns over emigrating has come to the right place to discuss them.

There is no membership criteria laid down to read or to post - if some threads aren't relevant to you, is it not easier to just move on to the next thread?
Old Nov 18th 2003, 5:33 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The real real gost of migrating.

Originally posted by mutznuts1
Ok here goes.
total cost of getting to nz if you dont include a divorce(sorry gd have to keep chin up)work visa + student visas x4 £300 flights £2000 total £2300.I would reccomend people get back to there roots stop bitching stop being snobs and get on with what you want to do!!!!NZ is a great place as is aus the worst areas that both the countries have are 100 times better than the worst the uk has to offer,I am pi**ed off with the amount of people that want to get away from the uk because "thou neighbours are ruffians"etc etc .If you are not prepared to go to another country and live on nothing or next to nothing stop your whinging get on with life in your "village"and shut the ***** up on the forums..
sorry needed to let off steam about people that no matter where they go or who they meet they WILL NEVER BE HAPPY.
Lets list all the costs dogsballs has forgotten. I will start will removal costs. I have seen these in the 2-3000 GBP mark.

Who is next?
Old Nov 18th 2003, 5:44 am
:0)
Just Joined

:0) is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok here goes.
real cost could be giving up my nice village.... giving up my friends.... giving up my freezing cold ride to work.... giving up sitting in my freezing cold office.... to move half way around the world.... and have a narrow minded pratt like you for a neighbour. :scared:
Old Nov 18th 2003, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

In reality the worst of NZ/Oz is not 100 times better than the worst of the UK. Which part of Oz/NZ did you live in just out of interest (and how long did you live there)?
Old Nov 18th 2003, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

mutznuts1 is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]and have a narrow minded pratt like you for a neighbour. :scared:
I see I have hit a nerve with a few people hidden I stayed near taupo nz in a village that all the Europeans said was a terrible place cos of crime etc and didn’t have a days trouble never saw police there never heard of any problems while reading in the local press all the crime was happening in the "affluent"/"effluant"areas.As for taking risks ok I am not selling my house unlike majority of people on this forum are doing and then finding out they dont like it abroad and realise it has cost them 30k to do this!Hmm huge risk I am taking I can see that now!!!Bondi removal costs? Why do you need to take the whole house with you? If you are starting a new life why not do it afresh without all the memories?
hiddenpaw ok 100 times may have been an exaggeration but the point is that the worst slums are not as bad as the the worst uk has to offer.
:O)
Hidden you say that there is no criteria for reading or posting, I couldn’t agree more and passing over this thread should be easy but apparently I am the narrow minded one, why cant emigrating be as simple as I suggest? there are people that have got themselves so stressed with taking material possessions and all they have succeeded in doing is enhancing their stress levels to a point of hospitalization some of the happiest migrants I have met are the ones that left there homeland with just a suitcase.
So to sum it up I am the prat as I haven’t burned my bridges at home.
I haven’t spent 2-3000 gbp alone on moving material possessions from one side of the world to another.
I am the one that’s getting offended by posting a cost that everyone in the uk could attain.
I am the one that’s calling people names.
hmmm thanks for the survival lesson I will change my ways.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:08 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Bondi removal costs? Why do you need to take the whole house with you?
Don't have to, but a lot of people want to!

And otherwise you have to buy a whole new(or secondhand) load, that's gonna cost you heaps either way. And you have to buy it all quickly, cos you need stuff. And then you don't have the time to look around for stuff you really really want, and settle for something a bit less.

And most will take there clothes, books, videos, personal nicknacks anyway, so then it's cheaper just to take everything.

Well, this is my opinion(and the experience of my parents, who regretted taking only a bit with them when they went)
Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:09 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

fwiw, I tend to agree which much of what you say.

I do think sometimes people do complicate things for themselves - sometimes ignorance is bliss, and it's better to go with an open mind, rather than a closed mind filled with 'knowledge'.

as people keep, saying nothing can prepare you 100%, and at times we do get carried away with specifics on here, when in reality the specifics are nowhere near as important as they appear on this forum.

but it does depend a lot on your situation - I'm relatively younbg with no kids. things are much easier for me - and I had no furniture I wanted to keep anyway. Other people do...
Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:09 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

I see I have hit a nerve with a few people hidden I stayed near taupo nz in a village that all the Europeans said was a terrible place cos of crime etc and didn’t have a days trouble never saw police there never heard of any problems while reading in the local press all the crime was happening in the "affluent"/"effluant"areas.As for taking risks ok I am not selling my house unlike majority of people on this forum are doing and then finding out they dont like it abroad and realise it has cost them 30k to do this!Hmm huge risk I am taking I can see that now!!!Bondi removal costs? Why do you need to take the whole house with you? If you are starting a new life why not do it afresh without all the memories?
hiddenpaw ok 100 times may have been an exaggeration but the point is that the worst slums are not as bad as the the worst uk has to offer.
Hidden you say that there is no criteria for reading or posting, I couldn’t agree more and passing over this thread should be easy but apparently I am the narrow minded one, why cant emigrating be as simple as I suggest? there are people that have got themselves so stressed with taking material possessions and all they have succeeded in doing is enhancing their stress levels to a point of hospitalization some of the happiest migrants I have met are the ones that left there homeland with just a suitcase.
I haven’t spent 2-3000 gbp alone on moving material possessions from one side of the world to another.
I am the one that’s getting offended by posting a cost that everyone in the uk could attain.
You're obviously fortunate enough to have enough money to run a house in the UK while buying/renting and setting up another in OZ. We're not all able to do that, so good luck to you, but please don't slag others off for doing what is necessary for us to get out there.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:16 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

If you did not have removal costs (like myself) then you will have higher set up costs. ie you will have to obtain all the possessions essential to live. Things like bed, a cupboard, crockery etc etc.

The bloke calls himself mutznuts so I am sure he won't mind being called dogsballs.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

You What ??? Did you get up on the wrong side of your bed?? or are you always like this?? Chill Out mate its only a forum!!! Need some calming tablets? Send me PM - Am a Pharmacist - can sort you out!!
Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:24 am
:0)
Just Joined

:0) is an unknown quantity at this point

I stand by view of you being a Pratt, the website you have linked to for your graphics says

Notice!
we ask you not to hotlink any gifs!

Reading is probably not one of your strong points and that could be the reason you need to slag off others.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't believe many people could fund a new start in NZ on £2300 without having a job to go to. For many people finding a job takes weeks or months. One would presume you are going straight into a job when you get there. Am I right?

And those who have PR - well, for many, it is hoped to be exactly that - permament. Why keep ties/houses in the UK? Do you have PR in NZ? Or are you going on a work visa?

Which NZ & Oz 'slums' were you referring to BTW? (You only mentioned in your post that you stayed in Taupo - but you didn't elaborate on the bad bits that you also lived in or visited.)
Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

We've spent heaps of dosh getting here/setting up etc and we're shipping nearly all our stuff out.

So? What do you (dogsballs) care? It's my problem not yours, and if I want to moan about it I will!

As it happens, I've got no gripes at the moment, everything is rosy in our NZ garden! BUT I reserve the right to moan if I want to!

Unstressed (well, not today!) Karen
Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:47 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Regarding the bit about shipping your whole house......

Try...its cheaper. We don't own a whole house worth of stuff, but if we did, it would all be going. The cost of shipping will be cheaper than buying a whole new set of furniture. That is of course not mentioning any posessions with any sentimental value....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.