Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Real Football..... Australian Style..

Real Football..... Australian Style..

Old Mar 18th 2010, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real Football..... Australian Style..

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Ah, British Rail ... I remember them ... I can almost see the seats falling apart and barely covered in that horrible blue fabric that attracted chewing gum ...
It's been a while since Jimmy Saville advertised the 'Age of the Train'...

nothing really wrong with a BR sandwich.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 11:29 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It's been a while since Jimmy Saville advertised the 'Age of the Train'...

nothing really wrong with a BR sandwich.
I wonder if they still come round with a trolley and cans of Heineken?

I remember the yearly trip down to Margate ... Bembom Brothers Amusement Park all day ... Dreamworld? Nah, they got nuthing!
Old Mar 18th 2010, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I wonder if they still come round with a trolley and cans of Heineken?

I remember the yearly trip down to Margate ... Bembom Brothers Amusement Park all day ... Dreamworld? Nah, they got nuthing!
Margate! Of course!

Ben Elton once said that the train companies were trying to pass themselves off as airlines...
Old Mar 19th 2010, 12:44 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's in Melbourne...

Hope your watching the game. Posted the following yesterday.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659954

Oops! It should be a good game - I hope MV are not too tired after the trip to China for the ACL game.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I remember getting a train down to Kent when I was a boy and even the words ' Gillingham, Rochester" were enough to send me into a short-lived misery..which even a British Rail sandwich could barely rescue.

Just read this thread properly - well almost - and apologise for the incursion previously...

So why are the Australian A League games so slow? Do players swan around in slow motion?

I'm getting excited about the new rectangular stadium in Melbourne.
Probably does seem a bit slow.... Still trying to get out of kindergarten on the skill stakes.... This Saturday should be as good as the Aleague can muster.

Cant wait for the rectangular stadium myself. We've got our name down for 5 memberships. Apparently MV have sold out of memberships... 25,000 plus..... thats according to the supporters forums though, so will have to wait and see if its reality.

Robbie Kruise can play a bit, when he is in the mood.

Old Mar 19th 2010, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carbery
Oops! It should be a good game - I hope MV are not too tired after the trip to China for the ACL game.
Seen this.... Palace Left of Center as per usual....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/...5875-22121504/

Palace the Rappers club....

Palace have actually put a copy of his Album into all new season ticket packs already. I suppose it's slightly better than the Walt Disney sponsorship they had in line.... with the possibilty of a Mickey Mouse motif.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 19th 2010 at 1:37 am.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

TrentEnd will become famous soon enough

It's got to be Sydney to win tomorrow! The 'toilet seat' will be 'ours'!

Winning in Melbourne would make up for the 5-0 loss a few seasons back, as well as equalling the number of championships won.

I still can't get my head around all this major/minor/preliminary final nonsense though......
Old Mar 19th 2010, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TrentEnd

Winning in Melbourne would make up for the 5-0 loss a few seasons back, as well as equalling the number of championships won.

I still can't get my head around all this major/minor/preliminary final nonsense though......

Yeah tis bullsheet the way this competition works. Sydney have won the league as far as I'm concerned as well. Still owing to the chronic lack of teams in the comp, we'll take this Aussie style end of year comp competition as the real final, until more teams join the fray.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

TrentEnd will become famous soon enough

It would also be nice to have some kind of FA Cup type comp, featuring the likes of Marconi, Sydney United, Melbourne Knights etc etc. Then, maybe this Grand Final nonsense could be done away with? I've got a novel idea - how about the team who wins the league are actually crowned as champions?
Old Mar 19th 2010, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It would also be nice to have some kind of FA Cup type comp, featuring the likes of Marconi, Sydney United, Melbourne Knights etc etc. Then, maybe this Grand Final nonsense could be done away with? I've got a novel idea - how about the team who wins the league are actually crowned as champions?
100 pct agree with all of the above.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Does that involve a double chance. I like that idea. Rewards the top teams. I like the AFL system.

The other MacIntyre (sp?) derived system as used by the NRL is hard to understand and - pants - yes.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah- so you are talking about the way a team can win the Minor Premiership, but not carry the final trophy in many Australian sports?

I don't mind it.

EDIT - if we had a FA style cup in Australia, you'd have the situation where the Mornington Pom Pubside 11 dispatches Sydney and wins the comp!

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Mar 19th 2010 at 10:15 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah- so you are talking about the way a team can win the Minor Premiership, but not carry the final trophy in many Australian sports?

I don't mind it.

EDIT - if we had a FA style cup in Australia, you'd have the situation where the Mornington Pom Pubside 11 dispatches Sydney and wins the comp!

Like non league Hereford v Newcastle in 1972 eh Drawing at Newcastle then beating them in the Replay.

Yehp would like to see more like that.... gets the punters talking.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

if we had a FA style cup in Australia, you'd have the situation where the Mornington Pom Pubside 11 dispatches Sydney and wins the comp!
Nothing wrong with that, IMHO.

Of course, by 21:00 tonight a grand final will eiathe rbe a brilliant idea or a rubbish one.

go MV
Old Mar 20th 2010, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan
Nothing wrong with that, IMHO.

Of course, by 21:00 tonight a grand final will eiathe rbe a brilliant idea or a rubbish one.

go MV

And so it starts.... Just cracked my first Cider of the day. People turning up in 25 mins.... BBQ, drinks MVP Melbourne Victory Piss..... Malibu Vodka Pineapple.... On the tram circa 3.30 pm then the pub crawl.

See you around the GWHotel and Colonial hotels 585 lonsdale... circa 4.30 pm to 5.00 pm apparently now. Afterwards the Word Bar...14 Goldie Place...Near Lonsdale st... Free entry for MV Membership holders... 8 dollar Jagerbombs and 6 dollar pints of Carlton draught 5 dollar bubblys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.