Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Real Football..... Australian Style..

Real Football..... Australian Style..

Old Feb 14th 2010, 12:10 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Real Football..... Australian Style..

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I like it. Very athletic - a game where you need stamina, strength, power, bulk, and speed. They are almost perfect athletes. People don't realise how knackering it is to turn and run back every phase.

Prefer Union.

I reckon you need to be a rugby player to appreciate it fully. It represents shear determination.
I can well appreciate all the physical ability involved in the sport... its just damn dull. The sport seems to consist of running into the bloke in front of you, wriggle around on the floor a bit, stand up, backheel and repeat... ad nauseam.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I can well appreciate all the physical ability involved in the sport... its just damn dull. The sport seems to consist of running into the bloke in front of you, wriggle around on the floor a bit, stand up, backheel and repeat... ad nauseam.
See where you are coming from!
Old Feb 14th 2010, 7:36 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Rugby league is a dire sport.I was shocked at how popular it is in certain parts of Aus.
Union is far superior.As a friend of mine used to say "league is union with all the skill taken out"

Pretty much sums it up IMO.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Rugby league is a dire sport.I was shocked at how popular it is in certain parts of Aus.
Union is far superior.As a friend of mine used to say "league is union with all the skill taken out"

Pretty much sums it up IMO.
Overall yes. Depends I think. Union is more tactical - and better to the TV watcher - but as a winger I felt I'd get more action on the hard tracks of League in Sydney than some UK grounds with Union. I like playing League, and I like watching it in Australia - not so in the UK.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I have grown up watching both a lot. In Australia the League players are more skilled than the Union players on average. The League group we have now would out skill any national Union team including the All Blacks.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fish.01
I have grown up watching both a lot. In Australia the League players are more skilled than the Union players on average. The League group we have now would out skill any national Union team including the All Blacks.
You can't hide in League. You have to be able to do the basics. Defense...pass...etc....More to it than people think - unless you can run natural lines in your sleep. Sounds silly, but there is more skill in running a ball in than soccer supporters realise, not just the leg strength and agility. Some people can't sidestep at speed..or only off one foot.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

You can't hide in League. You have to be able to do the basics. Defense...pass...etc....More to it than people think - unless you can run natural lines in your sleep. Sounds silly, but there is more skill in running a ball in than soccer supporters realise, not just the leg strength and agility. Some people can't sidestep at speed..or only off one foot.

Always hated any form of Rugby when I was at school and when I grew up. Our School and District was always football and many famous players came from our area.

But since moving over here I have been to a few matches, the State of Orgin and the World Cup and I have got to say I have got quite into the League. I admire the sheer power of some of those players.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 7:48 pm
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Getting back to real football - Ozzy, hope you had a good weekend and were not too disappointed at the result. Sorry but I think it will be a Sydney / Gold Coast final now.
Any Gold Coast football fans, why not try out the first semi on Saturday night against Newcastle?? tickets are only $30 adults / $20 kids and I think you will be surprised at the quality / excitement at the game. If you fancy a few beers before the game the pub we go to runs buses to & from the ground and has a good football atmosphere. PM me if details are required.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carbery
Getting back to real football - Ozzy, hope you had a good weekend and were not too disappointed at the result. Sorry but I think it will be a Sydney / Gold Coast final now.
Any Gold Coast football fans, why not try out the first semi on Saturday night against Newcastle?? tickets are only $30 adults / $20 kids and I think you will be surprised at the quality / excitement at the game. If you fancy a few beers before the game the pub we go to runs buses to & from the ground and has a good football atmosphere. PM me if details are required.
Had a great time..... Hope your evening goes well up on the GC.... personally my tip is Wellington, they've come good at the right time, and are Sydney's bogey team. Cant see Melbourne winning this silly little end of season comp, as most of the main players that influence a game are injured.... Kruise, Muscat, Thompson, Kemp etc.

We need a decent cup comp, involving the each State champions in the NSL for this time of year, rather than this Aussie finals clone crap. Still this will do in the interim better than no football. Will be a miracle if MV win it from here, still they want to be in the Asian Champions league, so they will probably give it a red hot... plus they only have to get to the final to make it.

Hope you get a few along Carberry and enjoy your evening.

PS how much did you pay that linesman v Palace
Old Feb 16th 2010, 6:27 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Had a great time..... Hope your evening goes well up on the GC.... personally my tip is Wellington, they've come good at the right time, and are Sydney's bogey team. Cant see Melbourne winning this silly little end of season comp, as most of the main players that influence a game are injured.... Kruise, Muscat, Thompson, Kemp etc.

We need a decent cup comp, involving the each State champions in the NSL for this time of year, rather than this Aussie finals clone crap. Still this will do in the interim better than no football. Will be a miracle if MV win it from here, still they want to be in the Asian Champions league, so they will probably give it a red hot... plus they only have to get to the final to make it.

Hope you get a few along Carberry and enjoy your evening.

PS how much did you pay that linesman v Palace

His cheque is in the mail
I agree Wellington are peaking at the right time but I feel all the travelling will hit them soon. Gold Coast now have home advantage, no major injuries and cant play any worse than the last 2 games.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Cant go to Thursday game, have to work.... had to many sickies and they will start to get suss.... already thinking about the possiblity of going up to Sydney for the main final.... cant believe MV would lose two major games... thats on the proviso they will get there and miss out choice of venue via the 1st semi option, which is likely with Thompson and Muscat out.

Hows this for irony though, started to get the wife really interested in football about 4 years ago via MV. We've been going as a family group to most home games as we are members. Now for the first time, she will be going without me.... now that hurts LOL !!!

Dammit

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 16th 2010 at 7:08 am.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:47 pm
Decreased member

Cant go to Thursday game, have to work.... had to many sickies and they will start to get suss.... the possiblity of going up to Sydney for the main finalalready thinking about .... cant believe MV would lose two major games... thats on the proviso they will get there and miss out choice of venue via the 1st semi option, which is likely with Thompson and Muscat out.

Hows this for irony though, started to get the wife really interested in football about 4 years ago via MV. We've been going as a family group to most home games as we are members. Now for the first time, she will be going without me.... now that hurts LOL !!!

Dammit

Are you going to Sydney for the game Saturday?
Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Carbery
Are you going to Sydney for the game Saturday?
It's in Melbourne...

Hope your watching the game. Posted the following yesterday.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659954
Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Since the 'Mighty' Roar have Bob Hope then I'll go with MV for the rest of the season.

Have to admit that I haven't been to an A League game this season, then again I haven't watched ANY soccer (football, whatever) for the last year.

Just can't get into it here, something about the standard and the lack of atmosphere does not do it for me. Maybe my years of supporting Gillingham has spoilt me ... hahaha ...
It's in Melbourne...

Hope your watching the game. Posted the following yesterday.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659954
I remember getting a train down to Kent when I was a boy and even the words ' Gillingham, Rochester" were enough to send me into a short-lived misery..which even a British Rail sandwich could barely rescue.

Just read this thread properly - well almost - and apologise for the incursion previously...

So why are the Australian A League games so slow? Do players swan around in slow motion?

I'm getting excited about the new rectangular stadium in Melbourne.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 11:12 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I remember getting a train down to Kent when I was a boy and even the words ' Gillingham, Rochester" were enough to send me into a short-lived misery..which even a British Rail sandwich could barely rescue.

Just read this thread properly - well almost - and apologise for the incursion previously...

So why are the Australian A League games so slow? Do players swan around in slow motion?

I'm getting excited about the new rectangular stadium in Melbourne.
Ah, British Rail ... I remember them ... I can almost see the seats falling apart and barely covered in that horrible blue fabric that attracted chewing gum ...

(Slow Games?) It's so the 'crowd' can wander to a bar regularly, get a beer, settle back down and not miss any action.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.