Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Real Football..... Australian Style..

Real Football..... Australian Style..

Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real Football..... Australian Style..

BTW Wellington on right now.... I'd guesstimate 15k there by the looks of things.... 2nd best supporters in the Aleague according to most MV fans.... so plenty of noise...

have a quick squizz....
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:00 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's actually depends on Melbourne Heart and Sydney Rovers..... it comes down to those two teams that dont even exist yet. If they make it.... which means circa 10k minimum average in the first 3 years.... then it will take off. I do understand where your coming from and it's my biggest fear. It's one that could almost make me want to return to the UK, especially now I've tasted the joy of going again.

Twas always the biggest gap in my life here, not being able to go to real football.
I hope it does thrive, believe me, there are enough kids playing to promote it at 'grass roots' level. I just hope the expansion isn't too quick and unsustainable ... I mean, how many teams qualify for the finals these days ... it's just a money grab at the end of the season really.

And then there is the dubious practice of bringing in 'marquee' players ... Dwight Yorke? Robbie Frikkin Fowler?!

Money better spent elsewhere I'd say but what do I know?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
I suspect most soccer fans in Oz do not watch the A-League because it is boring and slow. They prefer watching quality soccer on the TV from elsewhere.

In Oz the best athletes play rugby league or AFL.
Copa... and the rest of the armchair brigade need to take note of this article and really start to think hard...... I could go on about the Palace academy and how the system is wrecking Englands prospects as well, you need to absorb this first....

Not your fault as individuals I'll grant you, But it's another damn good reason to get off your collective arses and get down to your local team. ...... Said with the best intentions as well. Nothing personal Copa... but as a Palace fan you just gave me a vehicle.

http://blogs.thisismoney.co.uk/2010/...-football.html

Half time 4 beers and I'm getting lairy.... Imagine me in Sydney on Sunday with a 11am pub start and a 5 pm kick off.....oh heaven....

PS Wellington game not much chop I'll grant you.... but the fans are trying
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:57 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Two clubs added last year... Gold Coast United, who failed to entice the local fickle population in spectacular style.... totally contrasted by the Northern Queensland team Queensland Fury... from Townsville who certainly brought the punters in and have turned out to be a mini and unexpected success story.
My son & I have been season ticket holders for Gold Coast Utd and have been to 2 away games as well this season. I think there are a few reasons why the crowds have been disappointing for the first season - the marketing has been poor, they seemed to think that football was NRL with a round ball and tried to appeal to the same demographic which clearly did not work, the chairman / owner in true football tradition was a megalomaniac who quickly lost interest in the club when he found that the cost of renting Skilled Park was $140,000.00 and the ticket sales did not even total $40,000.00. His solution to this dilemma was to only open one stand triggering a fan boycott and FFA taking over the costs / losses of the stadium for the rest of the season. The standard of football / excitement has surprised me and we have really enjoyed our first season at GCU. Looking forward to the finals and if we make it to play Melbourne / Sydney will definitely make the trip.
I know what you mean about different sets of supporters - behind the goal in the home end there is the younger (mainly Aussie) fans and on the left of them an almost exclusively pommie group of older fans who sing all instantly recognizable terrace songs - great fun!
Any Gold Coasters really should try and make one of the finals games - you might enjoy it.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

New stadium in Melbourne next year ICFU.... almost certainly filled to capacity every game.....
I'll be taking my son to watch the new Victorian Rugby team there (!)
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Rudder will become famous soon enoughRudder will become famous soon enough

Just to let you guys know, especially those that are new to the country, that this weekend is a benchmark in Australian Domestic Football. It's the end of the 5th A league season, which is culminating in one game which will decide the winners of this years home and away matches.... Sydney FC V Melbourne Victory. Consequently this game will be the biggest game outside of finals matches that this country has seen up to this point.

Football has struggled in the past in this country with strong ethnic rivalries dominating the sport. The old NSL was riddled with clubs with names like Preston Macedonia....South Melbourne Hellas, Sydney St George.... Melbourne Croatia (Knights) .... I gave up going after a very brief patronage in the mid 80s, feeling very alienated and disillusioned after being exposed to ethnic rivalries I had little or no knowledge of.

It's very different now.... establishing itself well amongst the general population in places like the Inner North of Melbourne, Adelaide, Central and Western Suburbs of Sydney , Gosford, Newcastle and Townsville.... Perth has been a little slow, but seems to finally be turning around.

The Standard is not the best.... with fleeting glimpses of championship level on occasion, ....(See MV's Carlos Hernadez for proof of that) ..with somewhere between league 1 and 2 being the norm. However it is moving forward slowly and steadily and the competition is growing each year, with Two clubs added last year... Gold Coast United, who failed to entice the local fickle population in spectacular style.... totally contrasted by the Northern Queensland team Queensland Fury... from Townsville who certainly brought the punters in and have turned out to be a mini and unexpected success story. A new Melbourne team starts next year... Melbourne heart, with a projected membership of 7,500 in the first year... with gates expected to be between 12 - 15,000. The year after a Western Sydney team will be introduced into the league, and if past history re demographics is anything to go by should end up with more support than the current Sydney Team.

Got to say.... I havent looked forwards to a game like we have on Sunday.... since I saw Palace win the Division 2 championship in front of 55,000 at Selhurst park in 1979.

Should be a hard fought game.... MV only have to draw to win the home and away section of the league, they are taking the biggest away interstate support that domestic football in this country has seen... with somewhere around 1300 supporters making the journey north.

Anyone that doubts the European influence that I see everyday in the inner north of Melbourne should now see this clip of how support is done in this country, especially in Melbourne. This isn't one Ethnic group.... its Melbourne how it really is.

COME ON VICTORY..... and more importantly heres to a successfully expanding Aleague....

MV fans in Sydney 2007.... 3 times this number expected this time.

Jump on board people

I am a football nut and am reasonably impressed with the A League. I rate it (using the best teams in the A League as a marker) as good as the CC Championship and many aussie players as good as those also in the CCC.
It gladens my heart to see tyhe growth of 'soccer' (horrble word) in Oz.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:51 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

That's the problem with soccer. It's so boring on the pitch that the fans have to make their own entertainment.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:57 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Copa... and the rest of the armchair brigade need to take note of this article and really start to think hard...... I could go on about the Palace academy and how the system is wrecking Englands prospects as well, you need to absorb this first....

Not your fault as individuals I'll grant you, But it's another damn good reason to get off your collective arses and get down to your local team. ...... Said with the best intentions as well. Nothing personal Copa... but as a Palace fan you just gave me a vehicle.

http://blogs.thisismoney.co.uk/2010/...-football.html

Half time 4 beers and I'm getting lairy.... Imagine me in Sydney on Sunday with a 11am pub start and a 5 pm kick off.....oh heaven....

PS Wellington game not much chop I'll grant you.... but the fans are trying
I've really started enjoying rugby league since moving to Canberra .. regular season ticket holder these days. The athletes are amazing.

I did start going to NSW premier league games when Canberra had a team in the soccer comp.... but it just got too expensive for the quality of the match and there were too many away fan nutters from sydney in the crowd for my liking .. i wasn't comfortable bringing my family to a game anymore. Women were being hassled, flares were set off in the little stand crowded with families, assaults etc etc.. It might be safer, more family friendly elsewhere.. i don't know.

The Canberra raiders had better value for money and a much safer, family friendly crowd. Security is everywhere and not afraid to act.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Rudder will become famous soon enoughRudder will become famous soon enough

I've really started enjoying rugby league since moving to Canberra .. regular season ticket holder these days. The athletes are amazing.

I did start going to NSW premier league games when Canberra had a team in the soccer comp.... but it just got too expensive for the quality of the match and there were too many away fan nutters from sydney in the crowd for my liking .. i wasn't comfortable bringing my family to a game anymore. Women were being hassled, flares were set off in the little stand crowded with families, assaults etc etc.. It might be safer, more family friendly elsewhere.. i don't know.

The Canberra raiders had better value for money and a much safer, family friendly crowd. Security is everywhere and not afraid to act.
Are we still discussing the Hyudai A league? or has the conversation passed me bye?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
That's the problem with soccer. It's so boring on the pitch that the fans have to make their own entertainment.
LOL.... well its just on 4.30 am Im orf down the airport in about 20mins and Ive got about 60 hours worth of entertainment coming up Accompanied by the Wife and our freinds.

If all fails there is always Valentines day evening in Sydney

Thanks to everyone that posted... and hope you will be watching the other game at 1.45 am monday Carberry It's on Setanta...5th round of the cup.

Glad that a few others have seen the light and are enjoying attending the games.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 12th 2010 at 4:32 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For all football supporters on Valentines day....

http://www.pumahardchorus.com/
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

does anyone know if we can get the game over here in the u.k
they do have the A league round up on sky sports during the week and wouldnt mind catching this one
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried the Dragons a few times and really wanted to get into watching regular sport again.... but it just didn't hold my attention.

Rugby League has to rank of one the worlds most boring team games... I found myself watching the mascot, an eight foot tall green dragon on a scooter, much more than I did the games.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Once people realise Soccer stands for Association - I don't see why they can get annoyed about it.

So Soccer is a particularly accurate and apt word, and easily differentiates from the other codes, some of which were codified before especially in a place like Australia where there is a code for everyone. This world game and what other people call it is by the way and means nothing. I suppose its called differently in countries where it is not the No 1 game (yet) - at professional level, in a nation's sporting psyche - not participation numbers. Long standing debate I know.....(!)
Old Feb 13th 2010, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I tried the Dragons a few times and really wanted to get into watching regular sport again.... but it just didn't hold my attention.

Rugby League has to rank of one the worlds most boring team games... I found myself watching the mascot, an eight foot tall green dragon on a scooter, much more than I did the games.
I like it. Very athletic - a game where you need stamina, strength, power, bulk, and speed. They are almost perfect athletes. People don't realise how knackering it is to turn and run back every phase.

Prefer Union.

I reckon you need to be a rugby player to appreciate it fully. It represents shear determination.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.