Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Real Football..... Australian Style..

Real Football..... Australian Style..

Old Feb 12th 2010, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Real Football..... Australian Style..

Just to let you guys know, especially those that are new to the country, that this weekend is a benchmark in Australian Domestic Football. It's the end of the 5th A league season, which is culminating in one game which will decide the winners of this years home and away matches.... Sydney FC V Melbourne Victory. Consequently this game will be the biggest game outside of finals matches that this country has seen up to this point.

Football has struggled in the past in this country with strong ethnic rivalries dominating the sport. The old NSL was riddled with clubs with names like Preston Macedonia....South Melbourne Hellas, Sydney St George.... Melbourne Croatia (Knights) .... I gave up going after a very brief patronage in the mid 80s, feeling very alienated and disillusioned after being exposed to ethnic rivalries I had little or no knowledge of.

It's very different now.... establishing itself well amongst the general population in places like the Inner North of Melbourne, Adelaide, Central and Western Suburbs of Sydney , Gosford, Newcastle and Townsville.... Perth has been a little slow, but seems to finally be turning around.

The Standard is not the best.... with fleeting glimpses of championship level on occasion, ....(See MV's Carlos Hernadez for proof of that) ..with somewhere between league 1 and 2 being the norm. However it is moving forward slowly and steadily and the competition is growing each year, with Two clubs added last year... Gold Coast United, who failed to entice the local fickle population in spectacular style.... totally contrasted by the Northern Queensland team Queensland Fury... from Townsville who certainly brought the punters in and have turned out to be a mini and unexpected success story. A new Melbourne team starts next year... Melbourne heart, with a projected membership of 7,500 in the first year... with gates expected to be between 12 - 15,000. The year after a Western Sydney team will be introduced into the league, and if past history re demographics is anything to go by should end up with more support than the current Sydney Team.

Got to say.... I havent looked forwards to a game like we have on Sunday.... since I saw Palace win the Division 2 championship in front of 55,000 at Selhurst park in 1979.

Should be a hard fought game.... MV only have to draw to win the home and away section of the league, they are taking the biggest away interstate support that domestic football in this country has seen... with somewhere around 1300 supporters making the journey north.

Anyone that doubts the European influence that I see everyday in the inner north of Melbourne should now see this clip of how support is done in this country, especially in Melbourne. This isn't one Ethnic group.... its Melbourne how it really is.

COME ON VICTORY..... and more importantly heres to a successfully expanding Aleague....

MV fans in Sydney 2007.... 3 times this number expected this time.

Jump on board people

Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:13 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real Football..... Australian Style..

I found it quite bizzarre that one end of the stadium was full of MV fans singing TO another set of MV fans at the other end.
The fans were more sedate than at good old English footie match.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
I found it quite bizzarre that one end of the stadium was full of MV fans singing TO another set of MV fans at the other end.
The fans were more sedate than at good old English footie match.

They do that in England as well you know ! Been doing it at Palace since the 70's A Waite to the Holmesdale.

To explain a little further about MV Fans.... the South end is more mature.... doesnt like flares.... slightly more Anglo.... and hates flags waved in their faces... so they have created choice in their style of support. Altogether for away games though

In actual fact at the old ground Olympic Park they used to manage four sides.... like this at Etihad... in celebration mode, can guarantee the new ground will be the same, and will not be sedate.

Can absolutely gurantee this weekend will not be sedate.... catch a glimpse at 5pm Sunday on Foxtel.....

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 12th 2010 at 4:32 am.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:33 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
They do that in England as well you know ! Been doing it at Palace since the 70's A Waite to the Holmesdale.

To explain a little further about MV Fans.... the South end is more mature.... doesnt like flares.... slightly more Anglo.... and hates flags waved in their faces... so they have created choice in their style of support. Altogether for away games though
What i was trying to say was i found it strange that there were no away fans ( for obvious reasons ) This gave the ground a strange,sanitised atmosphere.

On the positive side it was good to sit in the warmth and not -5 on a cold and windy day down at Highfield road
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
What i was trying to say was i found it strange that there were no away fans ( for obvious reasons ) This gave the ground a strange,sanitised atmosphere.

On the positive side it was good to sit in the warmth and not -5 on a cold and windy day down at Highfield road
Perth actually brought over 300 supporters this year..... they choose one major away trip per year and take as many supporters as they can muster.... bloody good effort for 2,000 miles.

Get a few kiwis for the Wellington games as well, but they are probably ones that live here already.

Other than that only Sydney and Adelaide bring support worth mentioning.... although next year, with Mheart that should provide a derby start of atmosphere... may take a while though I will admit.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:49 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Since the 'Mighty' Roar have Bob Hope then I'll go with MV for the rest of the season.

Have to admit that I haven't been to an A League game this season, then again I haven't watched ANY soccer (football, whatever) for the last year.

Just can't get into it here, something about the standard and the lack of atmosphere does not do it for me. Maybe my years of supporting Gillingham has spoilt me ... hahaha ...
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Since the 'Mighty' Roar have Bob Hope then I'll go with MV for the rest of the season.

Have to admit that I haven't been to an A League game this season, then again I haven't watched ANY soccer (football, whatever) for the last year.

Just can't get into it here, something about the standard and the lack of atmosphere does not do it for me. Maybe my years of supporting Gillingham has spoilt me ... hahaha ...
Yeah, your slightly unlucky there.... had you been in just about any other region, you would have had something resembling atmosphere.... probably best to only go and try again if you play Gcoast or Sydney or Melbourne.

Yes remember trips to Gillingham as well... used to enjoy myself down there Probably before your time though Vim
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:57 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Every time I see it on the box its always looks like its in a vast stadium with about 4 people watching... and three of them are the subs.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Every time I see it on the box its always looks like its in a vast stadium with about 4 people watching... and three of them are the subs.
New stadium in Melbourne next year ICFU.... almost certainly filled to capacity every game.... certainly oversubscribed with members..... 22,500 is the cut off point for Memberships and they will get that many easily.... the rest is corporate and away support out of the 31,500 capacity. Which is why Melbourne Heart should take off as they will be playing at the same venue.

Adelaide always do well, they stayed bottom almost all season and still managed 12,500 average.... with some gates being circa 18,000..... Wellington also managed a crowd of 19,500 this year. Should be a few at the Wellington game at 6pm our time... tonight. To be fair think league 1....

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 12th 2010 at 5:07 am.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:14 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

New stadium in Melbourne next year ICFU.... almost certainly filled to capacity every game.... certainly oversubscribed with members..... 22,500 is the cut off point for Memberships and they will get that many easily.... the rest is corporate and away support out of the 31,500 capacity. Which is why Melbourne Heart should take off as they will be playing at the same venue.

Adelaide always do well, they stayed bottom almost all season and still managed 12,500 average.... with some gates being circa 18,000..... Wellington also managed a crowd of 19,500 this year. Should be a few at the Wellington game at 6pm our time... tonight. To be fair think league 1....
They should stick to the smaller venues and generate a 'proper' atmosphere. There are not too many clubs around the world who need 60,000 plus stadiums and seeing row after row of empty seats does nobody any favours
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:15 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, your slightly unlucky there.... had you been in just about any other region, you would have had something resembling atmosphere.... probably best to only go and try again if you play Gcoast or Sydney or Melbourne.

Yes remember trips to Gillingham as well... used to enjoy myself down there Probably before your time though Vim
We aren't known for enthusiasm ... even the State Of Origin can be a bit flat

I was regularly at Priestfield from about 1984 to the mid 90s ... time served ... much disappointment ... but happy(ish) days
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:22 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

I suspect most soccer fans in Oz do not watch the A-League because it is boring and slow. They prefer watching quality soccer on the TV from elsewhere.

In Oz the best athletes play rugby league or AFL.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:27 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by copa
I suspect most soccer fans in Oz do not watch the A-League because it is boring and slow. They prefer watching quality soccer on the TV from elsewhere.

I could wear the standard (to a degree) but I just keep comparing it with the atmosphere in the UK ... it's a bit of a trudge and expense to go and see The 'Mighty' Roar grind out a 1-0 loss when I'd rather spend less cash and watch a day's cricket at The Gabba.

There is room for all codes, etc, etc but I can see the latest venture dying on it's arse ... probably soon after being tapped ever so slightly on the ankle and executing a dive of swan-like grace.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by copa

Not supporters but followers.... a massive difference in culture and style.

I personally get very little out of watching football on TV if you actually compare it to going.

So on one hand I agree.... but I'm not talking to the armchair brigade with this thread.... I'm talking to people that want to and love to go and participate.

I spent 25 years in the wilderness in regards to this.... 25 years without going to a meaningful game. I doubt if you would understand where I'm coming from.... but as a person that went home and away in the UK to at least 400 games... then maybe you would.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I could wear the standard (to a degree) but I just keep comparing it with the atmosphere in the UK ... it's a bit of a trudge and expense to go and see The 'Mighty' Roar grind out a 1-0 loss when I'd rather spend less cash and watch a day's cricket at The Gabba.

There is room for all codes, etc, etc but I can see the latest venture dying on it's arse ... probably soon after being tapped ever so slightly on the ankle and executing a dive of swan-like grace.

It's actually depends on Melbourne Heart and Sydney Rovers..... it comes down to those two teams that dont even exist yet. If they make it.... which means circa 10k minimum average in the first 3 years.... then it will take off. I do understand where your coming from and it's my biggest fear. It's one that could almost make me want to return to the UK, especially now I've tasted the joy of going again.

Twas always the biggest gap in my life here, not being able to go to real football.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 12th 2010 at 5:36 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.