Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Real Estates....AKA.....Con artists!!!

Real Estates....AKA.....Con artists!!!

Old Aug 7th 2005, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Angry Real Estates....AKA.....Con artists!!!

We built up a great relationship with the Real Estate we rented through.......or so we thought. She often said she felt that she didnt need to undertake her 3 monthly inspections as the house was always in such great condition.
So when we moved out we expected all or our $960 Bond Money returned. WRONG.

We were charged $95 for the inspection that they insist on carrying out.
They then docked us $150 as they said the carpets were not clean enough. We had them steam-cleaned and handed over the certificate from the cleaning company confirming we had paid $100, but no, they said they were not clean enough.

When we took the property on the inspection document clearly stated 'faded marks on carpet in bedroom'. When we left they said that these 'faded' marks were now bleach marks that we had done????????? Another $100 deducted.

We advised them in writing that we were moving out on the 15th July. When Mick went in to hand the keys back on the morning of that day, he was told 'Oh no, you dont have to be out until the 18th July'. So although we had already moved out he used those extra days to repaint the house (not realising just how much they were going to deduct) We then got charged $140 'Over due rent' When I phoned to query it they said we didnt move out until the 18th. I argued that we had told them that we had originally advised them that we were moving out on the 15th and they had made the mistake. They agreed that their had been 'a lack of communnication', (even though I had stated the 15th on the paperwork that we had signed) We still got the $140 deducted.
I then paid a window cleaner $150 to clean all the windows. They then said on their report that there were grubby marks on the windows and deducted a further $100.

The Real Estse left it a week before they did the inspection, from when we moved out. She phoned me at home and asked if I could meet her at the house with some polish and cloths. When I got there she was wiping her finger over the woodwork and windowsills and said how dusty they were. I stated that the house had been empty for over a week and dust does tend to settle. However not wanting to upset the applecart I duly dusted all through (again).
We then got confirmation of how much we were getting back. Just $110!!!
She had made a further deduction for the dust and we had to pay the water bill.

Take into account that we had already paid out $250 for the carpet cleaning and the window cleaning we were out of pocket!!

If I had known this I wouldnt have even made an effort to blitz the place. I nearly had a stroke doing it!!

I wouldnt have minded, but the house is now up for sale with a great big board out side showing Micks lovely decorating.
As we have family here we popped in on the open day to show them our first house in Perth. I was bloody gobsmacked when the Real Estate selling it said the asking price reflected the decor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Those in Kinross............Its number 1 Glencoe Loop!!!!!!!
Old Aug 7th 2005, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real Estates....AKA.....Con artists!!!

OMG . I really don't know what to say. I can't believe it the cheeky sods. Can't you take it further? Especially as you have the receipt etc. to show you had had the carpets cleaned.

I think this has put me off renting althogether. Think I'll rent an apartment or something for a month and then buy a place.

How do they get away with it?
Old Aug 7th 2005, 3:14 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Sandra - how did you find the restraint to stop yourself from decking her - the cheecky mare!!What real estate company was that with??
Old Aug 7th 2005, 3:34 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
We built up a great relationship with the Real Estate we rented through.......or so we thought. She often said she felt that she didnt need to undertake her 3 monthly inspections as the house was always in such great condition.

They then docked us $150 as they said the carpets were not clean enough. We had them steam-cleaned and handed over the certificate from the cleaning company confirming we had paid $100, but no, they said they were not clean enough.

When we took the property on the inspection document clearly stated 'faded marks on carpet in bedroom'. When we left they said that these 'faded' marks were now bleach marks that we had done????????? Another $100 deducted.

We advised them in writing that we were moving out on the 15th July. When Mick went in to hand the keys back on the morning of that day, he was told 'Oh no, you dont have to be out until the 18th July'. So although we had already moved out he used those extra days to repaint the house (not realising just how much they were going to deduct) We then got charged $140 'Over due rent' When I phoned to query it they said we didnt move out until the 18th. I argued that we had told them that we had originally advised them that we were moving out on the 15th and they had made the mistake. They agreed that their had been 'a lack of communnication', (even though I had stated the 15th on the paperwork that we had signed) We still got the $140 deducted.
I then paid a window cleaner $150 to clean all the windows. They then said on their report that there were grubby marks on the windows and deducted a further $100.

The Real Estse left it a week before they did the inspection, from when we moved out. She phoned me at home and asked if I could meet her at the house with some polish and cloths. When I got there she was wiping her finger over the woodwork and windowsills and said how dusty they were. I stated that the house had been empty for over a week and dust does tend to settle. However not wanting to upset the applecart I duly dusted all through (again).

Take into account that we had already paid out $250 for the carpet cleaning and the window cleaning we were out of pocket!!

If I had known this I wouldnt have even made an effort to blitz the place. I nearly had a stroke doing it!!

I wouldnt have minded, but the house is now up for sale with a great big board out side showing Micks lovely decorating.
As we have family here we popped in on the open day to show them our first house in Perth. I was bloody gobsmacked when the Real Estate selling it said the asking price reflected the decor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where are you moving to Sandra, still in Kinross?
Old Aug 7th 2005, 4:18 pm
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Nothing surprises me Sandra.
I wonder who you were renting with - we've been in our place for seven weeks and already we've had to have the boiler replaced and have just notified the agent that a tree is beginning to topple next door's wall.
We also advised them of many more issues than we're on their 'condition of property' notes just after we moved in, so it'll be interesting to find out which come back to haunt us!
Old Aug 7th 2005, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Blimey they must have learnt that from my old landlord in the UK .He tried to sting me for £560 many years ago .After i turfed the back garden (brand new house just mud ) decorated the whole house in the same neutral colours and did numerous repairs to the house all paid for by me. His excuse was the house looked used. I did get the money back through small claims court.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 4:40 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Flippen 'eck Sandra,

Sounds a complete and utter nightmare for you. Can they really get away with all that considering you have proof of the carpet cleaning, the marks already on the bedroom carpet were existing and not new and the windows having been cleaned????

And to add insult to injury the agent bestowing the virtues of YOUR hard work on the decor!!!!

Have you checked this all out with a solicitor???

D D xx
Old Aug 7th 2005, 5:43 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

Absolutely Astounded

I would have told them to wear to stick it when she said to meet with dusters and polish!

I think reading between the lines that you can virtually right of any bond monies paid at the begining of rental. I did read a very simular thread a while ago.

Spill the beans for us all to avoid them ourselves
Old Aug 7th 2005, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all

OMG. take it further, the robbin bas......
Old Aug 7th 2005, 7:39 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/default.a...&sub=landlords

Have a read at this site Sandra regarding bond disputes.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 8:27 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading about probs re deposits and a term re carpet cleaning on another site. This was for NSW, so not sure if terms can vary in other states.

However, in NSW it is an unenforcable & unbinding term to put in when vacating the property that the carpets have to be professionally cleaned - see p10
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

We had similar issues with our first rental.

On condition report, we noted 'black marks on carpets'. On moving out, we had Myers to steam clean. Told agent, and she insisted on wearing her shoes through the house, despite us telling her not to.

Then she tried to deduct $500 for replacement carpets due to cigarette burns- these were the black marks that we noted on condition report.(Neither hubby nor I smoke). Argued hugely over whether black marks and cigarette burns were the same thing.

Eventually I said that I was happy to take it to a tribunal...knowing full well they cannot relet the house until the bond issue is resolved. Surprisingly they gave us our whole bond back within 48 hours.

Some will try and rip you off but stand your ground!
Old Aug 8th 2005, 4:23 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Get straight on the phone to someone at REIWA and report the agent, they cant just take random amounts for things they arent happy with.
Normally you would arrange your final inspection for the day you leave and hand the keys back once they've done it, not before.
Check if somewhere in your original contract whether there's a mention of a cost for them to do the final inspection, its a cost they would charge the owner for as part of the management fee, shouldnt have anything to do with a tennant.
Sounds to me as though they are really trying it on.
Dont let them get away with it.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pompeywill
Where are you moving to Sandra, still in Kinross?

Hi Paul,

Yep we are still in Kinross.........a bit closer to Burns Beach. Hope to see you soon!!!!

We really looked after that house. If I had known then what I know now I would of just handed the keys back without even bothering to hoover and stuff the bond money. The whole situation was too stressful. We were trying to move out of one place, get the new house sorted and get ready for visiting rellies all at the same time.

Nearly had a cardiac!!!!!! LOL LOL
Old Aug 9th 2005, 1:00 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paul,

Yep we are still in Kinross.........a bit closer to Burns Beach. Hope to see you soon!!!!

We really looked after that house. If I had known then what I know now I would of just handed the keys back without even bothering to hoover and stuff the bond money. The whole situation was too stressful. We were trying to move out of one place, get the new house sorted and get ready for visiting rellies all at the same time.

Nearly had a cardiac!!!!!! LOL LOL
name and shame please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.