Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Real Estate Wages

Real Estate Wages

Old Feb 2nd 2007, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future
Default Real Estate Wages

Does anybody out there know how much you ca expect to earn selling real estate in oz. Salary and commision wise and what is the process to get a job.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 5:40 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Real Estate Wages

Estate agents are paid by commission, but also receive a "retainer" salary (often very low, to encourage sales).

Total income is therefore dependent upon the company you work for, the area in which you are based, and the amount of sales you successfully take to completion.

I suggest you contact some of the real estate companies who advertise on www.realestate.com.au and see what they can tell you.

Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Courtney will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Real Estate Wages

Hi there

You need to go to TAFE or somewhere to do the Salespersons and Property Management Registration Course. Once you have completed that, you can then start applying to Real Estate Agents. The best thing to do is just go into all agents and ask if they are recruiting. I am about to start my course tomorrow but have already made a few contacts in the industry. I live on the Gold Coast so it's pretty rife up here, not sure about other parts of the country though.

Good Luck
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:54 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Courtney
I live on the Gold Coast so it's pretty rife up here
What do you mean
Old Feb 5th 2007, 2:09 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

The real estate agents I meet in Sydney seem to be doing okay for themselves, if their flash cars are anything to go by!
Old Feb 5th 2007, 2:26 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
The real estate agents I meet in Sydney seem to be doing okay for themselves, if their flash cars are anything to go by!
.........and that they can take half of Dec & Jan off plus long weekend for Australia Day
Old Feb 5th 2007, 3:05 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
Company cars - like to see them pay for them outside the tax regime
Old Feb 5th 2007, 3:52 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by walaj
.........and that they can take half of Dec & Jan off plus long weekend for Australia Day
.....that maybe so, but you should also consider that they do viewings most evenings until late sometimes and work most weekends! Not so attractive really!

It is a job I have often considered, takes a special breed of person though, someone resiliant enough to work when others are off having fun, with no guarantee of an income (commission based income).
Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:23 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
.....that maybe so, but you should also consider that they do viewings most evenings until late sometimes and work most weekends! Not so attractive really!

It is a job I have often considered, takes a special breed of person though, someone resiliant enough to work when others are off having fun, with no guarantee of an income (commission based income).
Point me in the direction of one of these latter-day saints, as I haven't come across any matching that description in Sydney! The ones I've met do work at the weekend - a couple of hours on Saturday - but then have a day off on Monday to recover. And trying to get them to show you a property outside of the two allotted time slots per week is an uphill battle worthy of any Olympic Games.

The industry certainly does seem to attract a special breed of person
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:30 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
.....that maybe so, but you should also consider that they do ...most evenings until late sometimes and work most weekends!.
What job doesn't these days?

My wife used to get called up at 2am while on maternity leave
Old Feb 5th 2007, 11:35 am
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chrisandvee
Does anybody out there know how much you ca expect to earn selling real estate in oz. Salary and commision wise and what is the process to get a job.
Hi

We live in a regional town and I was told at the weekend that there are around 100 agents and they mostly work on commission only. I've met with quite a few of them now due to going on home opens and the majority of them are absolute sharks! I have found one lady who is great, very trust worthy. It seems that when they do sell a house they earn a lot of money but in the meantime there is a lot of pressure on them.

It might be different in other parts of Australia. Good luck.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisandvee
Since we arrived in Perth, both our dentist and our bank manager have quit to sell real estate. It's been like a gold rush.

I noticed however that in this week's Subiaco Post there were something like 30 pages of real estate ads (including a 20 page Acton pull-out). Although largely funded by the homeowners themselves through the agents, it's a sign that property is nolnger selling itself and that almost everything is getting a little harder to shift. As one real estate agent put it to me at a recent home open, it's time for agents to start earning what their clients pay them.

Mark
Old Feb 5th 2007, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

Could be great news was too thick to be a dentist but if you cant beat them join them i say!