Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

real estate "speak"

real estate "speak"

Old Mar 28th 2004, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default real estate "speak"

Real estate agents in oz speak a different language from here. please could someone in Melbourne help me out here, its driving me mad!

A Villa- looks like a house
A town house-looks like a semi or terraced but also looks like a detached house?
an apartment- it looks like a single storey bungalow to me?
part of 4?
a back house of 4?
and so it goes on.......

Next question re- suburbs. we were looking at a job in Glen Waverley and I thought it would be significantly cheaper than say Brighton because its 14k away but it doesn't look that different. At least similar to Hampton so I thought I'd rather Hampton because its nearer the sea. Any comments about Glen or Mt Waverley, Bentleigh, Oakleigh...
thx
Old Mar 28th 2004, 10:39 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: real estate "speak"

Originally posted by helinuk
Real estate agents in oz speak a different language from here. please could someone in Melbourne help me out here, its driving me mad!

A Villa- looks like a house
A town house-looks like a semi or terraced but also looks like a detached house?
an apartment- it looks like a single storey bungalow to me?
part of 4?
a back house of 4?
and so it goes on.......

Next question re- suburbs. we were looking at a job in Glen Waverley and I thought it would be significantly cheaper than say Brighton because its 14k away but it doesn't look that different. At least similar to Hampton so I thought I'd rather Hampton because its nearer the sea. Any comments about Glen or Mt Waverley, Bentleigh, Oakleigh...
thx
A villa is often a smaller detached house, on a small block of land, but in a complex with other villas. You "may" need to pay a body corporate fee, to cover communal expenses for the area.

A town house. This is a terraced house, but sometimes just two in the terrace

An Apartment. A unit in a block. I've never seen a single story property called an apartment.

A part of 4 ? Here I will assume that it is an apartment or unit, in a block of 4 ?

Mind you, it may all be different in Melbourne ! I can only speak from my knowledge of Sydney and Brisbane areas.

Old Mar 28th 2004, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by helinuk

thx

By far Hampton is the best suburb on your list. Our kids go to the local school and it is fantastic, the whole area is really nice, close to the sea and on a rail line. It offers a really good lifestyle and there is a good mix of Aussies and expats. Love it.....

Glen Waverely is a totally different area, one of the guys in work lives there in Wheelers Hill, he suggests only thinking of the block near Jells Park. In Glen W the higher house prices tend to be the ones with a view of the hills. GW is not close to the water but it is on the right side of town for going into the Dandenongs. Personally we looked there and it did not suit us. Public transport is crap in that area. You will get "more" house for your money here than in Brighton or Hampton. Nothing wrong with GW but it is very suburban and you will need a car for everything.

We lived in East Bentleigh when we arrived, and put it this way if we were still there we would be back in the UK by now (if that makes any sence!!) Bentleigh is next door to East Brighton, as prices have gone through the roof in Brighton, then East Brighton they have spilled over in Bentleigh. The most expensive house in Bentleigh sold last year for $810, I know because I was at the auction!!! Fantastic house but too expensive for that area.

Oakleigh is s#@t, prices tend to drop from the coast as you go east, an average 3 bed house will cost about the following, Brighton ($800+), E Brighton ($750+), Bentleigh ($600+), E Bentleigh($450+) then Oakleigh ($400+) - don't go further east than Jasper Road, which is in Bentleigh. You will be amazed at how these areas change in the space of a few streets. It reflects the age of the areas and the type of houses, B, EB and Oakleigh have loads of horrible yellow brick 1950's houses. There is also a lot of subdivision going on (i.e. buy one house, knock it down and build 3 townhouses in its place). Other areas to consider are McKinnon (good state schools) but houses.

In short look at Hampton, Brighton or Brighton East (keep to the east of the Nepean Highway). You will get a house for $600 - millions.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
A villa is often a smaller detached house, on a small block of land, but in a complex with other villas. You "may" need to pay a body corporate fee, to cover communal expenses for the area.

A town house. This is a terraced house, but sometimes just two in the terrace

An Apartment. A unit in a block. I've never seen a single story property called an apartment.

A part of 4 ? Here I will assume that it is an apartment or unit, in a block of 4 ?

Mind you, it may all be different in Melbourne ! I can only speak from my knowledge of Sydney and Brisbane areas.
Thank you ABC
Old Mar 29th 2004, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by NJFOZ
By far Hampton is the best suburb on your list. Our kids go to the local school and it is fantastic, the whole area is really nice, close to the sea and on a rail line. It offers a really good lifestyle and there is a good mix of Aussies and expats. Love it.....

Glen Waverely is a totally different area, one of the guys in work lives there in Wheelers Hill, he suggests only thinking of the block near Jells Park. In Glen W the higher house prices tend to be the ones with a view of the hills. GW is not close to the water but it is on the right side of town for going into the Dandenongs. Personally we looked there and it did not suit us. Public transport is crap in that area. You will get "more" house for your money here than in Brighton or Hampton. Nothing wrong with GW but it is very suburban and you will need a car for everything.

We lived in East Bentleigh when we arrived, and put it this way if we were still there we would be back in the UK by now (if that makes any sence!!) Bentleigh is next door to East Brighton, as prices have gone through the roof in Brighton, then East Brighton they have spilled over in Bentleigh. The most expensive house in Bentleigh sold last year for $810, I know because I was at the auction!!! Fantastic house but too expensive for that area.

Oakleigh is s#@t, prices tend to drop from the coast as you go east, an average 3 bed house will cost about the following, Brighton ($800+), E Brighton ($750+), Bentleigh ($600+), E Bentleigh($450+) then Oakleigh ($400+) - don't go further east than Jasper Road, which is in Bentleigh. You will be amazed at how these areas change in the space of a few streets. It reflects the age of the areas and the type of houses, B, EB and Oakleigh have loads of horrible yellow brick 1950's houses. There is also a lot of subdivision going on (i.e. buy one house, knock it down and build 3 townhouses in its place). Other areas to consider are McKinnon (good state schools) but houses.

In short look at Hampton, Brighton or Brighton East (keep to the east of the Nepean Highway). You will get a house for $600 - millions.
Thank you NJFOZ, you've confirmed my views of H, B & BE.(I visited friends in BE, & Sandringham last year but didn't drive over the otherside of the Nepean HW)
Thanks for your view of the other suburbs, and house price differences. (It must have taken you quite a while to type that lot! )must appreciated.