British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Real estate for rental limits (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/real-estate-rental-limits-929049/)

KenA Nov 4th 2019 2:17 am

Real estate for rental limits

I am renting a house and still renting it

the real estate arranged an inspection to the house.

They sent me a report complaining of some stickers on the wall, and messy room, as my clothes were not hanged properly in the closet.

I am not sure if messy room is one of their rights to complain about?

and stickers will be removed before leaving the house and cleaning the area where it was.

So what are the limits of the real estate agent ?

Pollyana Nov 4th 2019 6:12 am

Re: Real estate for rental limits

Originally Posted by KenA (Post 12758590)

They sent me a report complaining of some stickers on the wall, and messy room, as my clothes were not hanged properly in the closet.

and stickers will be removed before leaving the house and cleaning the area where it was.

Depends on the State you are renting in, and on the contract you signed.
And on the mood of the agent on the day.

Presumably you have told them you are currently living abroad? That may not improve the situation if it meant the property is empty and unattended.

The Bloke Nov 4th 2019 8:26 am

I'm not sure what you have on your notification for routine inspection entry, but the following is what is on my inspection notice email;

"Things to consider for a routine inspection:
· property/room generally clean and tidy
· routine cleaning: including items such as dusting, sweeping/vacuuming, cleaning kitchen surfaces, bathrooms, oven, grill,
hob, toilet, shower etc

· removal of any mould from surfaces
· cleaning any marks from walls, kitchen units or other surfaces
· grass, edging and weeding, and disposal of any garden rubbish
· other outside areas (such as decks, patios) swept and tidy
· pool cleaned of leaves or other debris."

Depending on the person doing the inspection, as Polly said it can depend on the mood of the person and they can be totally anal about doing it to the microscopic degree if they're having a bad day, but generally they won't normally send in a complaint unless they have a valid reason. As long as the premises is reasonably tidy, and everything has been cleaned, you shouldn't have a problem.

A mate of mine told me once, if you have to, shove all the loose items in a bag (or box) until after the inspection. As to the stickers, I think I could see why they may have a issue, as they now take photos and send to the owner as part of the leasing process. If you want to do anything out of the norm, request permission in writing,

Moving forward, I would suggest talking to them and confirming exactly how they want it done.

spouse of scouse Nov 4th 2019 9:59 am

Stickers on walls will usually remove paint when they're taken off, so I can understand that one.
A few clothes scattered around the room is none of their business, they're not your mother.

moneypenny20 Nov 4th 2019 11:12 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12758693)
Stickers on walls will usually remove paint when they're taken off, so I can understand that one.
A few clothes scattered around the room is none of their business, they're not your mother.

Even then it's not really their business. Daughters' rooms were a mess, I'd walk past and close the door. :D

spouse of scouse Nov 4th 2019 11:15 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12758705)
Even then it's not really their business. Daughters' rooms were a mess, I'd walk past and close the door. :D

Well yeah, but it's more your mother's business that the bloody nosy real estate agent's!

KenA Nov 4th 2019 9:03 pm

thanks spouse of scouse, that is how i felt. that agent was trying to find anything to cause problems.

PittwaterPrincess Nov 30th 2019 2:05 am

Oh what a nightmare these are usually.

In my last rental I had a cat and I wasn't meant to, so every inspection I had to put her in the cattery for a week - very expensive. But I kept her there for five years without anyone knowing :)

First ever inspection I got into trouble for "not vacuuming the carpet enough", and for hanging my beach towel over the balcony to dry. I came home to find my beach towel on the floor of the balcony where the real estate agent had ripped it down and left it there. She was a real nutter and fairly militant and I hated her with a passion.

Current agent is really nice and easy going.