Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Real estate joke

Real estate joke

Old Jun 18th 2011, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future
Default Real estate joke

I still can not believe this. Went to see a house in Marmion, 4/2, pictures okay but nothing outstanding, reduced to $760,000. I was shocked walking into the messy first room (huge tent inside, massage bed in the corner, other stuff all over the place), Another room entirely filled with boxes, kitchen and the garden were not impressive either, and nothing like on the pictures. I couldn't resist to comment 'No wonder this house has been long on the market' to which the agent responded 'But not at this price' Hello, it doesn't make it better that this crappy house has been on the market since 16 Apr 2011 for 879,000-939,000.

I have been looking for a long time and have seen many old houses but at least they have been well presented at a home open.
I'm feeling fooled by someone not even able to present a house clean and tidy but still wanting $760k for it and then not being able to take criticism. The real estate agent demanded the brochure back from my husband when we left

This house market has still a long way to go until many sellers realise that they can't sell everything for some imaginary $.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real estate joke

Originally Posted by Perthine
I still can not believe this. Went to see a house in Marmion, 4/2, pictures okay but nothing outstanding, reduced to $760,000. I was shocked walking into the messy first room (huge tent inside, massage bed in the corner, other stuff all over the place), Another room entirely filled with boxes, kitchen and the garden were not impressive either, and nothing like on the pictures. I couldn't resist to comment 'No wonder this house has been long on the market' to which the agent responded 'But not at this price' Hello, it doesn't make it better that this crappy house has been on the market since 16 Apr 2011 for 879,000-939,000.

I have been looking for a long time and have seen many old houses but at least they have been well presented at a home open.
I'm feeling fooled by someone not even able to present a house clean and tidy but still wanting $760k for it and then not being able to take criticism. The real estate agent demanded the brochure back from my husband when we left

This house market has still a long way to go until many sellers realise that they can't sell everything for some imaginary $.

House on market since 16th April 2011???????

So that's about 2months....

As for the feeling fooled.... ? Why?

Real estate joke? Sorry, but where was the funny bit in that? I know I've had the week from hell at work, I'm tired and maybe have a teeny weeny bit of pmt... But I didnt see anything funny in that post
Old Jun 18th 2011, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Melbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really nice

In my opinion these are the best houses to buy.

Just put a lowball offer in - don't know why people get hung up on if a place isn't clean or the furniture is crap etc.

When you buy the house it is empty and you can just send a cleaner around for a day for a few hundred dollars and job done.

Don't see what the fuss is - you are paying for what is left when they leave not what is there when they are living in it.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by eddie007
House on market since 16th April 2011???????

So that's about 2months....

As for the feeling fooled.... ? Why?

Real estate joke? Sorry, but where was the funny bit in that? I know I've had the week from hell at work, I'm tired and maybe have a teeny weeny bit of pmt... But I didnt see anything funny in that post
Maybe I should have written "Ironic Joke" for better understanding
Or maybe I was just a bit sensitive today but after seeing many houses in the last year or so I haven't seen such a crappy presented house for a long time, and that in a supposedly nice suburb like Marmion, and for that money, I just had enough. I think those times are over anyway, when people paid every price just to get property. If I knew that this house would be so crappy I wouldn't have wasted my time on it. Way to many other nice houses on the market atm for realistic money and with realistic sellers/agents
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Melbourne bound Mark
In my opinion these are the best houses to buy.

Just put a lowball offer in - don't know why people get hung up on if a place isn't clean or the furniture is crap etc.

When you buy the house it is empty and you can just send a cleaner around for a day for a few hundred dollars and job done.

Don't see what the fuss is - you are paying for what is left when they leave not what is there when they are living in it.
Yep, but the house was really old and in need of a lot TLC so not really appealing for the asking price and its not done with just a few hundred dollar cleaning up. Anyway my point is that if you want to sell your house expecting certain money you can be expected to clean up the place before letting people in. I was disgusted by that place, but maybe that's just my European nature

Don't know about Melbourne but Perth housing market is not in good state atm.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

I agree, if someone expects high dollar for a property the least they can do is make an effort to present the place well.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I should have written "Ironic Joke" for better understanding
Or maybe I was just a bit sensitive today but after seeing many houses in the last year or so I haven't seen such a crappy presented house for a long time, and that in a supposedly nice suburb like Marmion, and for that money, I just had enough. I think those times are over anyway, when people paid every price just to get property. If I knew that this house would be so crappy I wouldn't have wasted my time on it. Way to many other nice houses on the market atm for realistic money and with realistic sellers/agents
If there are so many nice houses on the market atm for realistic money and realistic sellers/agents then go buy one.... And stop whinging about this one
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
I agree, if someone expects high dollar for a property the least they can do is make an effort to present the place well.
But that price for that area isnt top dollar...
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by eddie007
But that price for that area isnt top dollar...
So, you believe that the house prices are not overpriced in WA for the quality you get?

Maybe its just me being fed up with those unrealistic and outrageous house prices in Perth and high prices in general .
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that it is not nice to go to a 'home open' and visit something in a dire mess, but surely that gives you massive bargaining power, and shows that the current owners must be pretty desperate to be presenting it in that state?

Also, that price is way under replacement value, it's just block value. With some cleaning up and repainting, it would appear to be very good value for that suburb. Appears to be a footpath on the northern side, huge park next door and walk to the beach.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So, you believe that the house prices are not overpriced in WA for the quality you get?

Maybe its just me being fed up with those unrealistic and outrageous house prices in Perth and high prices in general .
Sorry... It wasnt me that said "there are way too many houses at realistic prices"....

That was quoting the ORiginal poster....

So you need to ask them whether they believe the house prices are not overpriced in WA, not me

THat price for that area is actually bloody good value in todays market... Overpriced or not.....

Fluck me, you WERE the original poster... So what the heck are you on about?
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:35 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Many are completely unrealistic about the value of their houses - our neighbour has had his place on the market for well over a year, has brought the price down in stages from around $1m to something like $700k but isn't able to see that it's only land value that someone will pay for. 1.5 acres in a desirable position, but *not* with the house that's on it - and a buyer would have to pay to pull it down, too. The land value is probably in the order of $600k, no more.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

[THat price for that area is actually bloody good value in todays market... Overpriced or not.....
[/QUOTE]

That'ts what I thought, before I saw the house .
Old Jun 18th 2011, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, but the house was really old and in need of a lot TLC so not really appealing for the asking price and its not done with just a few hundred dollar cleaning up. Anyway my point is that if you want to sell your house expecting certain money you can be expected to clean up the place before letting people in. I was disgusted by that place, but maybe that's just my European nature

Don't know about Melbourne but Perth housing market is not in good state atm.
Perhaps the vendor is just trying it on and see if there are any bites. Perhaps just another standard case of laziness and can't be much bothered trying to impress.

Not altogether unknown. Just put in a low offer and see where it goes.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it's a rental?

Tenants fed up of people walking though their home so are hitting back the only way they can?

Nothing in it for them to keep the place tidy.

Just a possibility..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.