British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Real estate agents in uk (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/real-estate-agents-uk-369297/)

killamarsh Apr 23rd 2006 11:24 am

Real estate agents in uk

As this is my first house I have never sold before and can't believe how many real estate agents there are. Can anyone recommend who to use or not to use for selling the house?

Has anyone got any handy hints when it comes to dealing with these people as I feel like I might be taken for a ride as I haven't got a clue.

Also, I might as well ask, if you can think of any handy hints on presenting the house ie minimalist etc, I would be most grateful.

Mrs Jackaroo Apr 23rd 2006 12:05 pm

Re: Real estate agents in uk

Originally Posted by killamarsh
As this is my first house I have never sold before and can't believe how many real estate agents there are. Can anyone recommend who to use or not to use for selling the house?

Has anyone got any handy hints when it comes to dealing with these people as I feel like I might be taken for a ride as I haven't got a clue.

Also, I might as well ask, if you can think of any handy hints on presenting the house ie minimalist etc, I would be most grateful.

I know there are quite a few threads on this but this is the only one I can find at the moment - hope it helps! :)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=359143

I would also add - keep your house as clutter free as possible - get some flowers in for a nice fresh smell - no pets (or evidence of them) around - lights on - as much natural light as possible - and if possible magnolia (or at least light coloured) walls - pretty much The House Doctor experience! :D

geordie mandy Apr 23rd 2006 12:20 pm

when we sold our first house we went with who ever had the most boards up in our area big mistake we had no viewers. We changed to a well known agent (Reeds Rains) we were inundated with viewers and 4 people put offers in. Don't go over board with decorating as it can make people think you are hiding something. (We found that with this house painted through out before we moved in we now know that there is damp in toilet and youngest bedroom.) Keep it clean and tidy and if you have a breadmaker or coffe machine put them on before viewers arive it's amazing what those smells can do for a sale.
Good luck with your house sale :)
Mandy

Luma Apr 23rd 2006 12:23 pm

Make sure whoever you use advertises on www.rightmove.co.uk
everyone I know seems to know this website and checks there when looking for a property.

Paul&Nic Apr 23rd 2006 12:26 pm

Haggle on commission. I paid 1.25% but coulda paid 1% but went with other agent for best chance of selling.

Make sure agent has a decent website. I think these days everyone likes to view houses via the net to start with. See sommit they like and go from there.

Pick an agent close by. I think if you want to live in a certain area, you'll look for the local agents to start with.

Try not to seem desperate (if you are) or too pushy selling the house. At the same time you don't want to say nothing at all. Try for the 'happy medium' and give 'factual' information about the house and area.

We sold over Xmas just gone and like many it drove me mad, but as they say if it's priced right, it will sell in any market!

Best of luck! ... :)

Vash the Stampede Apr 23rd 2006 1:00 pm

Clutter-free (LOL, a clutter-free British house; that's one for the Guiness Book of Records!) and depersonalised.

A potential buyer needs to be able to see themselves in your house - and your house as their own. This is only possible if you ensure that it is presented in a neutral context.

Paul&Nic Apr 23rd 2006 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Clutter-free (LOL, a clutter-free British house; that's one for the Guiness Book of Records!) and depersonalised.

A potential buyer needs to be able to see themselves in your house - and your house as their own. This is only possible if you ensure that it is presented in a neutral context.

I WAS gonna say a bit on this. I agree that the house 'can' look a little messy as it will look more 'lived in'. Houses that look too 'perfect' look too 'fake' to me.

Ok, some ppl DO keep their houses spotless, but generally the odd empty cup on the side, or sock on the steps won't stop a sale in my books.

Tony Po Apr 23rd 2006 2:03 pm

All good advice in this thread...
Sold my house last year after about 9 months. Made the mistake of going with the agent who valued it the highest.
I knew who the best estate agent was in the area by word of mouth and by the relatively short amount of time the houses they advertised stayed in the papers but greed kicked in unfortunately! :o
Eventually used them to sell the house which they did within a month!
Now I'm a thousandaire!!! :D

Amazulu Apr 23rd 2006 2:16 pm

You should see some of the chintzy, frilly, granyish sh*t box excuse for houses for sale in this city before coming out with a statement like this.

Weasy Apr 23rd 2006 5:29 pm

Hi

Whoever you go with don't mention that you are emigrating - to either the agent or potential buyers. Have heard tales of people dropping offers as they think you are desparate for a sale....

Lou
xx

Vash the Stampede Apr 23rd 2006 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You should see some of the chintzy, frilly, granyish sh*t box excuse for houses for sale in this city before coming out with a statement like this.

http://www.realestate.com.au/objects...1140097146.jpg

http://www.realestate.com.au/objects...1140097397.jpg

http://www.realestate.com.au/objects...1140097400.jpg

http://www.realestate.com.au/objects...1140097804.jpg

http://www.realestate.com.au/objects...1140097805.jpg

Yeah, I see what you mean... :zzz:

Tiggs+Graz Apr 23rd 2006 7:18 pm

Yeah, I seewhat you mean... :zzz:

surely they are piccies of a hotel - nobody actually lives in a house that looks like that do they?!

Tiggs

killamarsh Apr 23rd 2006 7:39 pm

:scared: [That looks like a place I saw on allhomes. com in Canberra. :scared:

geordie mandy Apr 23rd 2006 7:44 pm

That house looks so gorgeous but it can't be a home there's no toys scattered around or wet towels hanging over the shower cubicle LOL ;)
Mandy

killamarsh Apr 23rd 2006 8:13 pm

[QUOTE=geordie mandy]

No the kids probably have their own wing. I used to know a couple in Melbourne where the kids had their play room and toys were not allowed outside of that room or out of their bedroom.

there is nothing like standing on a car or a toy soldier on the way to the loo in the middle of the night..