Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Real Estate Agents

Real Estate Agents

Old Jul 22nd 2007, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Real Estate Agents

Picked up our keys for our new rental on Friday just gone. What a shock i had when i got there. My personal opinion the house was dirty. Screens thick with dust, windows i could write my name in, door runners dead insects. Hair left in the bathroom. The garden has brown patches in the grass where the previous owners dog tinkled, no new seeds put down. I have phoned the agent and the property managers off sick, so she will call me on Monday.

Don't actually move into next Friday thank god, had to leave some of our furniture in the garage. The real estate agent of the house I'm in at the moment has sent me a to do list of all the things they expect us to do before leaving. There is so much to do, so we have got a professional cleaner to come in. Are all estate agents the same with the cleaning process when vacating. Or have i got a fussy agent at the moment that likes everything to be perfect or a new agent that are not doing there job properly. The agent we have our new house with is a well known company. Can i ask for a professional to go into clean before i move in at there expense. I have a feeling no one went around to check the house before they handed the keys to us. Other wise they would have known about a pair of curtains that was taken down and left in the garage.

What can i do, can they get away with this.

Stacey

Last edited by stacey and jordan; Jul 22nd 2007 at 9:59 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 10:11 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real Estate Agents

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
Picked up our keys for our new rental on Friday just gone. What a shock i had when i got there. My personal opinion the house was dirty. Screens thick with dust, windows i could write my name in, door runners dead insects. Hair left in the bathroom. The garden has brown patches in the grass where the previous owners dog tinkled, no new seeds put down. I have phoned the agent and the property managers off sick, so she will call me on Monday.

Don't actually move into next Friday thank god, had to leave some of our furniture in the garage. The real estate agent of the house I'm in at the moment has sent me a to do list of all the things they expect us to do before leaving. There is so much to do, so we have got a professional cleaner to come in. Are all estate agents the same with the cleaning process when vacating. Or have i got a fussy agent at the moment that likes everything to be perfect or a new agent that are not doing there job properly. The agent we have our new house with is a well known company. Can i ask for a professional to go into clean before i move in at there expense. I have a feeling no one went around to check the house before they handed the keys to us. Other wise they would have known about a pair of curtains that was taken down and left in the garage.

Stacey
At the end of the day you need to leave the way you found it and have the proof on the property condition report. Taking photos is advisable with dates on them.

But I would mention it to the property manager and try to get it cleaned.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 10:28 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I know of one place where they repaint the house when you leave and take the costs out your deposit !

Stacey
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
I know of one place where they repaint the house when you leave and take the costs out your deposit !
Well i can say after the amount of dead bugs i saw squashed on the walls, it's definitely not that agent I'm using.

Stacey
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:44 am
Banned

007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all

Well i can say after the amount of dead bugs i saw squashed on the walls, it's definitely not that agent I'm using.

Stacey
Next time take notice of this shit on inspection and go elsewhere. It's just not worth the hassle of moving into someone else's dump and possibly being hit up at lease end by some new nazi RE Agent that has joined the firm.

My place wasn't too bad, although it did take me 1/2 day to fill out my cond report. Eight A4 pages later I feel secure knowing that I can challenge everything when I move out. And if they disagree I will happily go to the Tribunal. Noone will ever be keeping a cent of my Bond unless It's really deserved.

The key is to document EVERYTHING so you're covered.

And yes I would demand a cleaner at their expense if it is as bad as you say.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:46 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Stacey
The agents must make sure that the place is clean and tidy for you moving in. I demanded that they get professional cleaners in to do ours before we moved in. Dont accept it the way it is......if the property manager is off....chances are that it hasnt been inspected.......if this is the case and the previous renters have left if like a shit hole...then the agent takes the price of the cleaning etc out of their bond....thats what the bond is for
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

UPDATE:
Got to speak to the property manager today, and she said that in her opinion it was clean. I argued the fact it was definitely not and she said that she would get the window tracks cleaned and the walls. I was not happy with this, so i asked for her managers telephone number. Her manager told me to get the work done and send her the receipt.

Not looking forward to handing in my condition report tomorrow

Stacey
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:22 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

UPDATE:
Got to speak to the property manager today, and she said that in her opinion it was clean. I argued the fact it was definitely not and she said that she would get the window tracks cleaned and the walls. I was not happy with this, so i asked for her managers telephone number. Her manager told me to get the work done and send her the receipt.

Not looking forward to handing in my condition report tomorrow

Stacey
Good for you for insisting it should get done. They get away with far too much these Real Estates.

Persistance always pays off i think!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:34 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

I find they are really variable all over the place.

At the moment I am living in the UK - the first place I rented the inspection report resembled the Doomsday Book and took forever to fill in - but when we moved in the house was SPOTLESS!! When we moved out they expected it to be the same way (fair enough)

the second place i am in (living there currently) the real estate agent is a bit more relaxed - it was clean when we moved it - but not like the other place!

Same in Australia - some real estates are very good at ensuring everything is clean and in good condition between tenants - others don't give a rats!!

Good on you for sticking your guns! hope the pay the bill now though!!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice

I must admit some of the houses we looked at to rent were shitholes, but the house we got was sparkleing clean and the agents were superb.

Don't settle for anything that you think is second best, some Aussies are not the tidyest people (unfair comment cos its like that the world over)
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Her manager told me to get the work done and send her the receipt.
I think it's best if you ask them to get the work done and send the receipt to the owner. It's not your responsibility to arrange for someone to clean the house before you move in. They still have a couple of days and it is possible for them to get someone in on short notice. It's the rental agent's job and they get paid for managing the property.

Oh, don't forget to take loads of photos (with dates on) to include in your inspection report if you decide to arrange the cleaning yourself.

Good luck,
Mrs JTL
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

We sold our house and are currently renting it back from the new owners who live in NSW so they have an agent dealing with it, on our contract we have to have the house professionally cleaned at the end of the rental period and provide receipts, we had a cat and they even said we have to get the carpets sprayed when we leave, well wont worry there as the cat died before settlement so they can whistle for that one.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:50 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Most rental agreements need you to have the place professionally cleaned before you leave.
I would insist THEY get it clean and take it from the bond money.
And as others have said, take lots of pic's print them off and send it with the entry inspection report.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Stacey
As a tenant you have rights, and one of them when you move in is to see the inspection report of the last tenant on departure, aslo the house should be clean. Take note of everything, photos and put it in writing, as you will be hit for the bill at the end.

This happened to me, where I got the place cleaned, I actually put the house in better condition when i left and ended up doing maintenance for the land lady.
The bitch at the end even wanted more money as she said the garden was untidy, i paid for two gardeners 3 days prior to leaving to ensure it was spot on. (heavy winds blowing leaves and such around.)

RTA is a very good source of advice use them wisely.

Do not accept the place if its disgusting, and tell the rental agent you are going to RTA, they will shit themselves.