Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Real dilemma...Big decisions ahead ?

Real dilemma...Big decisions ahead ?

Old Mar 31st 2004, 10:53 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Real dilemma...Big decisions ahead ?

Hi folks,

I've got a dilemma that needs sharing.

I'm not expecting you to make decisions for me or my family just opinions on how you see it.

My father recently purchased the business he has been employed within for the last 40 years or so. The company exports it's products all over the world and the financial rewards are fantastic.

He recentlt asked me to join the business (which I have) in a managerial role. During the buyout / takeover period my families application to Australia had been prepared and sent off. I am at the top end of the age limit (ie 33 nearly 34) so this is my last chance of gaining the full 115 points through the Skilled Indie route. It's basically a case of now or never.

My Dad is 59 and doesn't intend working forever...fair enough, he's worked damn hard to get where he is. He wants family continuity in the business and is not really too impressed with my emigration intentions.

The job is enjoyable and the profits will be great BUT and it is a big BUT...I'm unsure. We live on the Isle of Man where the weather is shall we say...inclement...and opportunities for our kids limited. It is a lovely place, relatively crime free but isolated and expensive.

Mum thinks Australia sounds great but is aware that if we stick it, Dad is left holding the Business baby.

My wife is looking forward to life in Oz should we pass the impending meds & Police checks. Our son & new born (due August) will have a great outdoor lifetstyle.

My initial thoughts are to emigrate, see how it pans out, gain citizenship and return home after 2 / 3 years. Continue my Dad's business for 7 - 10 years and return to Oz before the kids start secondary school without the worry of the application process.

Does this sound crazy ? Everything is so up in the air at the moment it's doing my head in.

My gut feeling is this...If we get the chance, we have to at least give it a go. I know at the end of the day my Dad will understand.

Confused.

Three Legs

There is more to the situation but that's a summary.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 11:01 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Real dilemma...Big decisions ahead ?

Originally posted by Three Legs
Hi folks,

I've got a dilemma that needs sharing.

I'm not expecting you to make decisions for me or my family just opinions on how you see it.

My father recently purchased the business he has been employed within for the last 40 years or so. The company exports it's products all over the world and the financial rewards are fantastic.

He recentlt asked me to join the business (which I have) in a managerial role. During the buyout / takeover period my families application to Australia had been prepared and sent off. I am at the top end of the age limit (ie 33 nearly 34) so this is my last chance of gaining the full 115 points through the Skilled Indie route. It's basically a case of now or never.

My Dad is 59 and doesn't intend working forever...fair enough, he's worked damn hard to get where he is. He wants family continuity in the business and is not really too impressed with my emigration intentions.

The job is enjoyable and the profits will be great BUT and it is a big BUT...I'm unsure. We live on the Isle of Man where the weather is shall we say...inclement...and opportunities for our kids limited. It is a lovely place, relatively crime free but isolated and expensive.

Mum thinks Australia sounds great but is aware that if we stick it, Dad is left holding the Business baby.

My wife is looking forward to life in Oz should we pass the impending meds & Police checks. Our son & new born (due August) will have a great outdoor lifetstyle.

My initial thoughts are to emigrate, see how it pans out, gain citizenship and return home after 2 / 3 years. Continue my Dad's business for 7 - 10 years and return to Oz before the kids start secondary school without the worry of the application process.

Does this sound crazy ? Everything is so up in the air at the moment it's doing my head in.

My gut feeling is this...If we get the chance, we have to at least give it a go. I know at the end of the day my Dad will understand.

Confused.

Three Legs

There is more to the situation but that's a summary.
Yer Bloody-Well Dreamin' Mate.

If yer products are up-ta-snuff then yer can spend time occassionally in Aus and flog more o' them.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 11:10 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

If you removed your dad from the occasion and were simply weighing up this business opportunity versus emigration, how would you feel then?

I'd be inclined to go to Oz while you still can and see how things work out. You could always come back, as you say, but you may not get another chance to go to Oz.

Time to be selfish and think of yourself and what you want out of the next few years/life...then think of your wife and kids and what they need and want...

Or franchise the business to Oz!
Old Mar 31st 2004, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

I was going to say that if the business exports all over the world, why can you not coninue it in Australia? Surely worth looking into? You could spend the next few years migrating the business HQ over there and then coninue it there when your father retires.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 11:23 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

You're right...I didn't even consider it.

I'll take the business with me. Dad can assist in the set up whilst holidaying with the Grandkids.

It will mean lots of really hard work and finding the right staff but it can be done.

I'll mention it to him when he gets back from the golf course !!!

Gotta love this place.

Three Legs

Originally posted by Mummy
I was going to say that if the business exports all over the world, why can you not coninue it in Australia? Surely worth looking into? You could spend the next few years migrating the business HQ over there and then coninue it there when your father retires.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

bonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Mummy
I agree.But what happens if you go and you love it and your wife and children love it ,what happens if you get that settled that you dont want to come back for a few years,whats more important your wife and childrens happiness and ultimatley your own,or staying were you are running a buisness,and never knowing????
you need to way up all your options,this is your life ,you cant be exspected to follow your dad,not if your heart isnt in it,you have one life you cant repeat it,its a big desicion to make any way ,with out all the hassle you have,try and take the buisness and make it work,you have the best of both worlds then.