British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   "Real" Curry in WA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/real-curry-wa-121513/)

renth Dec 11th 2002 7:00 am

"Real" Curry in WA

OK we've had the real fish and chips thread, there's a chippy in South Perth which is great btw.

What about "real" UK style curry i.e. made Bangladeshis with dishes they have invented like balti & phall. Spinny things with pickled lime, chutney and chopped onions.

I've not seen any places like this in WA, only very poor imitations in food halls.

If there is anywhere like that in Perth I know who will know ... PB..

sophia Dec 11th 2002 11:44 am

hi renth

I can only speak for my part of the world (rockingham) and can sadly say that we have found no curry houses at all...there is one in Freemantle on Market Street, but has a very sad and limited menu :( but I guess it's better than nothing! There used to be one advertised in the Rockingham directory when we were here last year, suspiciously missing from this years....obviously no call for curries around here...they have no idea what they are missing!!

I think my husband would kill for a decent curry!!!

love sophia xx

Stan J Dec 11th 2002 5:59 pm

Quiet a few of the Indians staffing and perhaps cheffing in Indian Restaurants in Brisbane seem to have migrated from Fiji rather than the Indian Subcontinent. Perhaps that explains the different menu/approach to the typical UK Indian Curry House.

Experience has shown that when one orders a 'hot' curry in Brisbane it is barely mild. Presumably to suit Aussie tastes. Frequenting a restaurant does however pay dividends.

There is or has been four or five Indian Restaurants around the Toowong / Taringa area of Brisbane which have been pretty good, although not as exceptional as the Malaysian Experience in Toowong.

pommie bastard Dec 12th 2002 3:34 am

Re: "Real" Curry in WA

Originally posted by renth
OK we've had the real fish and chips thread, there's a chippy in South Perth which is great btw.

What about "real" UK style curry i.e. made Bangladeshis with dishes they have invented like balti & phall. Spinny things with pickled lime, chutney and chopped onions.

I've not seen any places like this in WA, only very poor imitations in food halls.

If there is anywhere like that in Perth I know who will know ... PB..

Joondalup has 2 curry houses worth a visit , one called MR India claims to do a British curry having said that there is one worth a visit in OB City Scarbrough its a bit on the pricy side though.

:D :cool: :beer:

renth Dec 12th 2002 6:37 am

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Joondalup has 2 curry houses worth a visit , one called MR India claims to do a British curry having said that there is one worth a visit in OB City Scarbrough its a bit on the pricy side though.

Do they have the all important flock wallpaper?

pommie bastard Dec 12th 2002 6:44 am

Originally posted by renth
Do they have the all important flock wallpaper?

No but crap pictures and bad music are included , also real Indians not the red type what more could you want?

renth Dec 12th 2002 6:48 am

No but crap pictures and bad music are included , also real Indians not the red type what more could you want?

fantastic, I can already feel my ringpiece stinging

rajj Dec 12th 2002 5:18 pm

CURRY CURRY IN MELBOURNE??

Can anyone tell me if there are any decent curry houses in melbourne??.

I'm addicted to the great british curry - you know the unhealthy but fantastically tasty ones you get in places like Brick Lane, London.

Please re assure me!!!.

rajj

Call me AL Dec 13th 2002 9:16 am

We have given up trying to find a "british" curry in Perth, tried 12 places ranging from inedible to bad, Mr India being on the better side but still not authentic and they use grey meat in the chicken dishes not breast EUGH!! If anyone out there knows better PLEASE help.

renth Dec 13th 2002 9:36 am

Originally posted by Call me AL
We have given up trying to find a "british" curry in Perth, tried 12 places ranging from inedible to bad, Mr India being on the better side but still not authentic and they use grey meat in the chicken dishes not breast EUGH!! If anyone out there knows better PLEASE help.

Are you allowed to take jars of Pataks in, or is this something that has to be chucked in the bin at arrivals?

What about Bombay Duck, a common item on any British curry house menu, until it was banned by some faceless eurocrat? (I think it has something to do with the fish being left out in the sun for days to dry and birds crapping all over it.) I'm sure this added to the unique taste on ammonia that so many people used to enjoy.

You won't catch me whingeing in Australia, but when it comes to not getting a decent curry, I'll put PB to shame. Look forward to trying out that place you recommended though, thanks.

I'll pop in to the OB when we move to Joondalup in a few weeks time and see if I can guess which one you are.... Knowing Joondalup I reckon if I walked in and said "which one is Pommie Bastard?" everyone will put up their hand.

Stan J Dec 13th 2002 3:32 pm

I can recall seeing jars/tins of Pataks and Sharmans at the Aussie supermarkets like Coles and Woolies.

cresta57 Dec 13th 2002 6:12 pm

They do sell pataks in Coles I reccomend the paste if you can get it lasts for ages in the fridge mmmmmmmmmm jalfreziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmm do your own we did!

Anon E Mouse Dec 18th 2002 9:59 am

More importantly, which ones do Kingfisher or Cobra? BYO VB just isnt the same...

Shikse Dec 20th 2002 2:22 pm

You could always try and cook it at home? I've recently bought and highly recommend the book - ' The Curry Secret - Indian Restaurant Cookery at Home' by Kris Dillon on Amazon. It tells you how to make that 'secret sauce' the restaurants use as a base for most of their curries. The pilau rice recipe even tells you how to add those little bits of colour - useless for taste but essential for authenticity!

suebo Dec 25th 2002 3:08 am

Renth,
You can get Pataks at any supermarket in OZ, so no need to take it in. It is pretty hard to get food through customs, they won't even let you take the cheese off the plane!!