British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Real Cost-Of-Living (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/real-cost-living-309747/)

coxfamuk Jun 25th 2005 9:16 am

Re: Real Cost-Of-Living

When moving countries, I think it is important to realise that you are inevitably going to take a 'step back' in your career and salary. When we moved from South Africa to the UK 8 years ago, my husband went from being a financial manager and 2IC of a motor dealership to a project accountant for an auditing firm, a role he did 5 years previously. But, over the 8 years, we worked our way back up again. A magistrate friend of mine who moved to Australia said that he stepped back probably about 15 years in terms of career and salary, but what we both agreed upon was that the financial reward was not the motivating factor for us - it was the better quality of life. When moving countries, sacrifices will have to be made. We live in a 4bed detached with a study in the UK, when we move to Melbourne, even though we have made a substantial profit on our property, we will only realistically be able to afford a 3bed house, but that is ok, we don't plan on spending much time in it anyway :)

What I think you need to do is work out the minimum you can afford to live on and take anything extra as a bonus.

NKSK Jun 25th 2005 10:03 am

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
When moving countries, I think it is important to realise that you are inevitably going to take a 'step back' in your career and salary. When we moved from South Africa to the UK 8 years ago, my husband went from being a financial manager and 2IC of a motor dealership to a project accountant for an auditing firm, a role he did 5 years previously. But, over the 8 years, we worked our way back up again. A magistrate friend of mine who moved to Australia said that he stepped back probably about 15 years in terms of career and salary, but what we both agreed upon was that the financial reward was not the motivating factor for us - it was the better quality of life. When moving countries, sacrifices will have to be made. We live in a 4bed detached with a study in the UK, when we move to Melbourne, even though we have made a substantial profit on our property, we will only realistically be able to afford a 3bed house, but that is ok, we don't plan on spending much time in it anyway :)

What I think you need to do is work out the minimum you can afford to live on and take anything extra as a bonus.

I agree completely. My salary when I move to Perth will be equivalent in sterling to what I was earning 6 years ago.

I'll also be going backwards career wise by at least three steps.

However, you do weigh up everything and it is my feeling that my experience is not wasted - it will be recognised at some point. :)

Having said that I know that for some people the thought of taking a salary cut or a step down is just horrific.

Grayling Jun 25th 2005 11:24 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Why the sarcasm at the end of your comment ?

The smilie was aimed at the site which claims nurses earn that much..not at you.

Why so sensitive :confused:

G

Badge Jun 26th 2005 6:21 am

Re: Q

Originally Posted by wmoore
Depends what you do. I've seen plenty of IT jobs advertised at that kind of level. And seeing as I earn nowhere near £40k here, that could be a huge pay rise for me. Realistically I'd be happy with quite a bit less than that though.

This was indeed the situation for me.

IT workers can earn AUS70plus easily.

GBP40 - maybe in London and the Se for some jobs - 30 more realistic I would say.

Badge

sackofspuds Jun 26th 2005 9:06 am

Originally Posted by NKSK
I agree completely. My salary when I move to Perth will be equivalent in sterling to what I was earning 6 years ago.

I'll also be going backwards career wise by at least three steps.

However, you do weigh up everything and it is my feeling that my experience is not wasted - it will be recognised at some point. :)

Having said that I know that for some people the thought of taking a salary cut or a step down is just horrific.

You and coxfamuk sum up the situation very honestly, I feel. We have decided not to go to Australia for at least another year. My wife teaches mainly GCSE resits at an FE College. There's no equivalent in Oz - the TAFEs tend to do vocational subjects only, so she'd need to get a postgrad qualification in say TESOL to qualify for a decent job. There are few IT jobs in Adelaide for me and, even though I have nothing here at the moment, I don't feel I can take the risk.

So, my wife's accepted a full time post here at her College (they have been begging her to go full time for months) and I am taking a course in something entirely unconnected with IT whilst at the same time starting my own business in IT. This is partly because I've always wanted to start my own business but didn't ever have the opportunity and partly because, at 41 with my specific work experience, there just aren't many IT jobs that are suitable. So too, if the truth be known, I am losing interest in technology for its own sake; the enthusiasm has gone.

Anyhow, I'll be posting less frequently now that we're here for at least another year.

Badge Jun 26th 2005 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
d I am taking a course in something entirely unconnected with IT whilst at the same time starting my own business in IT. This is partly because I've always wanted to start my own business but didn't ever have the opportunity and partly because, at 41 with my specific work experience, there just aren't many IT jobs that are suitable. So too, if the truth be known, I am losing interest in technology for its own sake; the enthusiasm has gone.

Anyhow, I'll be posting less frequently now that we're here for at least another year.

Nice idea - interesting to see how you'd get on. If IT (even in Melbourne) wasn't so well paid I would have lost the drive years ago - although - I quite like the analytical and intellectual side at times over politics and game playing.

Badge