Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

'The Real Australia'

'The Real Australia'

Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'The Real Australia'

Originally Posted by _Australia
Hi, when i go on my Working Holiday Visa (WHV) later this year, well im trying to decide where to go, and as i have never been to Australia, it is more guessing and reading websites than anything else. I was hoping to visit 'The Real Australia', not like the commercial center's e.g. Sydney, but like say Alice Springs (obvious i wont visit there in the heat of the summer if i decide to go there.) Any suggestions on places to go?

P.S. i know people say it changes when you get there on a WHV, but im the organised type, and i like everything to be planned out in advance.

Thanks
Come to the town where I live, Kalamunda. It's about Australian as you can get and has no Legoland. Choice.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice

Theres also the Great Ocean Road and all that offers from victoria to south australia,
but the whinging one did have a valid point
Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Does he? Are you his wife then?

I feel your pain Deadmeat, my ol' chum.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

_Australia will become famous soon enough

Remember, this it isn't a full time move, i will be travelling around Australia for 2 years on a WHV . Then i will possibly move to Australia if a can find a job.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:55 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, when i go on my Working Holiday Visa (WHV) later this year, well im trying to decide where to go, and as i have never been to Australia, it is more guessing and reading websites than anything else. I was hoping to visit 'The Real Australia', not like the commercial center's e.g. Sydney, but like say Alice Springs (obvious i wont visit there in the heat of the summer if i decide to go there.) Any suggestions on places to go?

P.S. i know people say it changes when you get there on a WHV, but im the organised type, and i like everything to be planned out in advance.

Thanks
why dont you try and get some work in an aboriginal mission. i recently did some work in a few in north QLD . its an eye opener.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 10:53 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by youngy73
why dont you try and get some work in an aboriginal mission. i recently did some work in a few in north QLD . its an eye opener.
Youngy,

Do tell, i would be interested to hear about your experiences.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Try and visit as many places as you can. We packed in loads and we were only there for a month. Go to Sydney and see the opera house and bridge. The Blue Mountains are lovely too and well worth a trip. Another must for me was the Barrier Reef for some diving but that might not interest you. We did a fab trek into the rain forest from Cairns as well.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:09 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
they are worthless bludgers
Worth 2 billion dollars of tax payers dosh per year I believe ?
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Got me in one, 2 days after my Citizenship Ceremony you won't see my arse for dust
So why go for Citizenship?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:15 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by somme
So why go for Citizenship?
It was a tongue-in-cheek comment that is impossible to detect in a posting due to the lack of tongues or, indeed, cheeks.

Suffice to say I am here for the long haul thanks to this wonderful country, my Aussie wife and my Aussie daughter ... that and I've got a HUGE thong and shorts collection now which would be a shame to junk.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:25 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
It was a tongue-in-cheek comment that is impossible to detect in a posting due to the lack of tongues or, indeed, cheeks.
Forgive me for pointing this out, but you mentioned your arse, so I think we can safely say there are cheeks. And anything involving tongues now brings up a mental picture that we can all do without.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:33 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

... I was hoping to visit 'The Real Australia', not like the commercial center's e.g. Sydney, but like say Alice Springs ...
Bearing in mind the number of "real" Australians that spend their lives living and working in the commercial centres, compared the the very very few who live or work in all the other places mentioned on this thread, what makes one Australia more real that the other?

By all means go and visit all the lovely places in the middle of nowhere, but don't expect Australian life to be like that if you ever move here. For that experience you would be better off living in a legoland housing estate in Perth or Brisbane, or struggling with high rents in Sydney.

Sorry - I am a realist.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Mar 27th 2007, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Bearing in mind the number of "real" Australians that spend their lives living and working in the commercial centres, compared the the very very few who live or work in all the other places mentioned on this thread, what makes one Australia more real that the other?

By all means go and visit all the lovely places in the middle of nowhere, but don't expect Australian life to be like that if you ever move here. For that experience you would be better off living in a legoland housing estate in Perth or Brisbane, or struggling with high rents in Sydney.

Sorry - I am a realist.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Expanding on that -
To me most people see the 'real Australia' as that presented and portrayed in popular fiction or faction(!) - rightly or wrongly.

Basically it's either Neighbours which is NOT legoland(!) or the outback - both with good old 'recognisable' aussie stuff in place.

Anything else WILL disappoint(!)
Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:41 am
Just Joined

kochie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Hi, I have been in Aust. all my life and have travelled just about every part of it. You will find wide open spaces and some pretty amazing places wherever you go. I am in Cairns now and love it. Lots of diversity and lots of things to do from rainforest to reef. My wife and I operate a hosted accommodation business so if you are coming Cairns way and need accommodation just let us know. Good luck and enjoy your travelling wherever you decide to go!