Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Real Australia

The Real Australia

Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:20 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ButtonMoon
People,People...please a call for peace and harmony.How did someone's views about life in Australia turn into a slanging match about air conditioning?
The greatest dilemma about being an expat is :
You really are a foreigner still and always will be.
The ozzies haven't found a sense of humour yet and they certainly don't understand yours.
There will always be a part of you thar misses home...Christmas morning, snow on the streets,friends, the pub etc.
It's all a matter of balance :you weigh the pro's against the cons.
Seems like most of you have partners, children or family here.I do not .Be grateful, remember the reasons you left and look at what you have now.
There is always a price to pay for ' living in paradise'. Can you afford the price....?
It is more fun and often more informative when 2 opposing views battle.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

ellen fedulow is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry brummiegirl, this is dotty the coward and general wind up merchant. I have been on this site for many months and every now and again dotty rears her nasty head ( or is it monthly!) Don't take her comments to heart, she obviously is very lonely and has no friends or a life, coz people like her get kicks out of trying to upset people.
None of us "dreamers" mind being informed by those who have migration experience (whether good or bad) but when people start getting nasty and personal it can have negative feelings on us.
Dotty will be nice again soon, and all will be forgiven, but i have seen it so many times that i now laugh at her tactics. Sometimes its like being on one of those nasty chat lines...
I'd rather be a "dreamer" than a troll!

Dotty will tell you that she is loaded and has made a sucsess of her life in Oz, so much money she can now afford to buy a mansion in UK! but her money can not buy her manners and decency and certainly won'y buy her friendships!

sad really isn't it!

ellen1

Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ellen fedulow
Don't worry brummiegirl, this is dotty the coward and general wind up merchant. I have been on this site for many months and every now and again dotty rears her nasty head ( or is it monthly!) Don't take her comments to heart, she obviously is very lonely and has no friends or a life, coz people like her get kicks out of trying to upset people.
None of us "dreamers" mind being informed by those who have migration experience (whether good or bad) but when people start getting nasty and personal it can have negative feelings on us.
Dotty will be nice again soon, and all will be forgiven, but i have seen it so many times that i now laugh at her tactics. Sometimes its like being on one of those nasty chat lines...

Dotty will tell you that she is loaded and has made a sucsess of her life in Oz, so much money she can now afford to buy a mansion in UK! but her money can not buy her manners and decency and certainly won'y buy her friendships!

sad really isn't it!

ellen1

Dear Me Ellen, how many of us girls here have suffered this same personal attack (although the menstral cycle bit is new, how charming, personal, relevant to all on the forum I must say).

Isnt this the personal attack you use whenver someone prints something you dont want to hear about OZ.

By the way, I dont think you have ever been to OZ have you?

Why dont you go back to last weeks very informative posts about Coronation st Characters and you playing Social worker with them. What was that you were saying about sad?
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:26 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Ah thats better. Someones put the spice back in.

Just go with it have your arguments and heated (not air conditioned mind) discussions its only a forum.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:34 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has made me pmsl!
Sean, i think you need to do your very own "follow on story", that was excellent.
Rosy, without the rose tints, sorry it didn't work out, but are you glad you tryed it?
Dotty, i find most of your posts informative and often funny, but sometimes sadly patronising.
I guess what i'm trying to say is that we all have different dreams and ideals and its up to us to see if they will work out in the real world. What i can't accept though, at my age, is to be told that i am making an uninformed decision and that i believe Oz is utopia.
I am a grown up, literate, with a fair degree of common sense, BUT with a big sense of adventure.
"can't stop the spirits when they need you. This life is more than just a read through"
There, i'm off me soap box now, time to go clear out some more crap, ready for the big move!
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:34 am
Nov 27th 2003: Brisbane

BrisbaneBrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't mind debate, views, opinions etc etc, but when you get accused of bullshitting over something as TRIVIAL as A/C........well....it just defies belief.....

As far as I'm concerned 'Dotty' can go and take a 10 inch piece of plastic battery operated vibro and shove it in that big fat gob of hers, it'll be the only time she makes any sense.

For someone who has become so financially succesful, why is she spending so much time on this forum? Surely she should be looking after all her high profile guests at the many garden parties she throws at the rear of that mansion she owns? *cough* yeah........righto........
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:45 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Well, personally I think this is much better than Coronation Street! What a saga.

I do think Rosy's post could have been worded a bit better but as others have said, everyone is entitled to their opinion and she has lived the life and maybe learned it's not for her. The point is that does not mean the rest of us are doomed to fail due to our idealistic outlook!

Yes everyone (I imagine) is going to Oz in an atempt to find a better way of life but I think it's a bit harsh to constantly criticise those who are willing to try it, after all weren't Rosy and Dotty like this at some point? Living in any country will always be a bit of a wake-up call as there is no way you can imagine it without doing it.

It does seem the people who are most disgruntled are those who went with rose-coloured specs in the first place and found the reality something else, this doesn't mean you should assume we will all make the same mistake as yourselves! I personally like to take these comments on board, it's true with such a massive step, we should be careful to have a reality check now and again. I don't think anyone really thinks Oz is Utopia but maybe Rosy and Dotty have forgotten that neither is the UK - by a rather long chalk!

When I lived abroad for a year I missed home so much and it was a real eye-opener. I came to think of the UK in such a rose coloured way and couldn't wait to get home - what a shock when I did! It was nowhere near as great as I remembered! We all build things up to me more or better than they actually are when we are not there. Snow on xmas morning?? How often does that happen? Dotty's leaving 'grey Australia' to come to the gloriously beautiful Uk - NEWSFLASH, it's a little on the grey side here too!

The point is we do need to be realistic but without the hope of a better life what is there? We have all decided that the UK is not where we want to be anymore and are determined to do something about it rather than sit and whine that we are unhappy.

Good luck to everyone, life is what you make it (I know, it's been said a thousand times, but i am a believer!)

Em.

Last edited by spuds; Oct 1st 2003 at 8:48 am.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by BrisbaneBrummie
I don't mind debate, views, opinions etc etc, but when you get accused of bullshitting over something as TRIVIAL as A/C........well....it just defies belief.....

As far as I'm concerned 'Dotty' can go and take a 10 inch piece of plastic battery operated vibro and shove it in that big fat gob of hers, it'll be the only time she makes any sense.

For someone who has become so financially succesful, why is she spending so much time on this forum? Surely she should be looking after all her high profile guests at the many garden parties she throws at the rear of that mansion she owns? *cough* yeah........righto........
The only time I mentioned the word mansion was in the send up post which quite clearly shows I can laugh at myself. Pity you cant, as for forum time, my business runs on info usually gathered from the internet, so I can pop in and out as often as I like, thank you.

As for 10 inch vibros, thankfully in our house we use a similary sized real one, no need for plastic here. Still I guess with it being Australian I should have guessed it would be bigger, hotter, louder shouldn't I.

Now please excuse me I have some Coronation Street characters coming over for dinner.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:56 am

Well said Emma!
Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:07 am

Originally posted by dotty
quite clearly shows I can laugh at myself.
Good job too.....cos a lot of others are laughing at you too.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:25 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by emmahafryn
Well, personally I think this is much better than Coronation Street! What a saga.

I do think Rosy's post could have been worded a bit better but as others have said, everyone is entitled to their opinion and she has lived the life and maybe learned it's not for her. The point is that does not mean the rest of us are doomed to fail due to our idealistic outlook!

Yes everyone (I imagine) is going to Oz in an atempt to find a better way of life but I think it's a bit harsh to constantly criticise those who are willing to try it, after all weren't Rosy and Dotty like this at some point? Living in any country will always be a bit of a wake-up call as there is no way you can imagine it without doing it.

It does seem the people who are most disgruntled are those who went with rose-coloured specs in the first place and found the reality something else, this doesn't mean you should assume we will all make the same mistake as yourselves! I personally like to take these comments on board, it's true with such a massive step, we should be careful to have a reality check now and again. I don't think anyone really thinks Oz is Utopia but maybe Rosy and Dotty have forgotten that neither is the UK - by a rather long chalk!

When I lived abroad for a year I missed home so much and it was a real eye-opener. I came to think of the UK in such a rose coloured way and couldn't wait to get home - what a shock when I did! It was nowhere near as great as I remembered! We all build things up to me more or better than they actually are when we are not there. Snow on xmas morning?? How often does that happen? Dotty's leaving 'grey Australia' to come to the gloriously beautiful Uk - NEWSFLASH, it's a little on the grey side here too!

The point is we do need to be realistic but without the hope of a better life what is there? We have all decided that the UK is not where we want to be anymore and are determined to do something about it rather than sit and whine that we are unhappy.

Good luck to everyone, life is what you make it (I know, it's been said a thousand times, but i am a believer!)

Em.
Well said Emma. End of subject please??? My inbox keeps on getting clogged up telling me someone else has made a contribution to this thread!!!

TennisOz

Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:33 am

Sorry TennisOz.......just wanted to give you another e mail! LOL
Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:37 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by BrisbaneBrummie
Good job too.....cos a lot of others are laughing at you too.
Brummie please stick to the thread. Comments like the above hardly add to the conversation.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:49 am

Fair point. Sorry, got carried away.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

ellen fedulow is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty
Originally posted by ellen fedulow

sad really isn't it!

ellen1

Dear Me Ellen, how many of us girls here have suffered this same personal attack (although the menstral cycle bit is new, how charming, personal, relevant to all on the forum I must say).

Isnt this the personal attack you use whenver someone prints something you dont want to hear about OZ.

By the way, I dont think you have ever been to OZ have you?

Why dont you go back to last weeks very informative posts about Coronation st Characters and you playing Social worker with them. What was that you were saying about sad?
oh dotty you excell yourself!
I think you'll find reading this thread, that my response to your "informed" and charming attitude towards us "dreamers" is backed my many....you really are sinking to low dephs now... a typical coward who can give it but can't take it back... you really need to see someone, you spend so much time on here, it is worrying...maybe you should get out a bit more God knows how you made your millions!!

All the best to you dotty, you make my day

ellen1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.