Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reading Materials/Location

Reading Materials/Location

Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice
Default Reading Materials/Location

Hi,

Couple of things that I am hoping some of you can offer some advice on.

Reading Materials
Can anyone recommend any reading material (websites/books/magazines etc..) about moving to Aus?

I am currently trying to convince my wife that we should give it ago and she wants to read up as much as possible.

Not really sure about which part of Aus I'd like to go yet. I currently work in IT for one of the big UK banks and have a 3 year old daughter. Obviously I would need to move to an area were there is a chance of me picking an IT job up (so thinking Sydney or Melbourne - though is Brisbane an option?) and have to consider my daughters schooling etc.. So if any one has been in a similar situation I'd love to hear your views on location

If we do agree to give it a go, we'd be looking to sell up completely and give it a minimum of 2 years before making a decision to stay or return.

Would be looking to take the skilled visa route.

Thanks,

Martin
Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:34 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Reading Materials/Location

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
Hi,

Reading Materials
Can anyone recommend any reading material (websites/books/magazines etc..) about moving to Aus?

I am currently trying to convince my wife that we should give it ago and she wants to read up as much as possible.

Not really sure about which part of Aus I'd like to go yet. I currently work in IT for one of the big UK banks and have a 3 year old daughter. Obviously I would need to move to an area were there is a chance of me picking an IT job up (so thinking Sydney or Melbourne - though is Brisbane an option?) and have to consider my daughters schooling etc.. So if any one has been in a similar situation I'd love to hear your views on location

If we do agree to give it a go, we'd be looking to sell up completely and give it a minimum of 2 years before making a decision to stay or return.

Thanks,

Martin
Hi Martin, this website is probably the best resource for general info, including links to other sites and reading material.

I too work in IT for the financial sector, and am deciding Melbourne v Brisbane (can't afford to live in Sydney!), Melbourne seems to win hands down for IT jobs of that kind, but there's the pull of the Brisbane lifestyle and the diving................ drool drool.

There are some good books with titles such as "Live and Work in Australia" but quite honestly all the info they offer is available on here for nothing, and here it is much more specific.

May I recommend doing some searches on this forum and the immigration forum, or just trawling through.

Cheers and good luck.

Buzzy
Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reading Materials/Location

Hi,

Reading Materials

Thanks,

Martin
Hi Martin, we have found this site to be really informative as a lot of kind people regularly post links of interest, here are a few i've found:
www.travelvictoria.com.au
www.BCL.com.au/melbourne
www.schoolchoice.com.au
www.street-directory.com.au
and one for the missus
www.termite.com
Don't let the last one put you off Lol
Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:10 pm
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice

Hi,

Reading Materials

Thanks,

Martin

Books by Bill Hampton are excellent. He also has a website and offers advice via email: http://www.pomsdownunder.com/
Good luck
BS
Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:34 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Reading Materials

Thanks,

Martin
Hi Martin

the obvious website is:

http://www.immi.gov.au/

if you scroll down to life in Australia, then additional info and basic facts about you will eventually get to states and territories and their government portals.

The government websites have info on living there etc

Hope this is of some help

Possoms
Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi Martin, this website is probably the best resource for general info, including links to other sites and reading material.
Just stay away from the beasty threads tho
Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:50 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Reading Materials

Thanks,

Martin
Try www.ourbrisbane.com.au

Also WH Smith were selling a new mag Aus/NwZ Dec/Jan issue...Nothing too exciting but gives a bit of an idea.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 7th 2005, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Thanks all.

Just subscribed to the Australia & New Zealand magazine and looked at the suggested sites.

Thanks again for the info.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 7:17 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all.

Just subscribed to the Australia & New Zealand magazine and looked at the suggested sites.

Thanks again for the info.
Good luck with everything
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:32 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Try reading Britishexpats.com (seriously - you won't find anything better)