Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Read Me - I am desperate for advice

Read Me - I am desperate for advice

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:13 am
Just Joined

Snooze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Read Me - I am desperate for advice

I am new to all of this and I would like to say 'hi' to everyone. I moved from the UK mid-70s to South Africa and then onto WA in 1992.

Now I am in early 50s and ready for a "Sea Change". Thinking of returning back to the UK - what do you think my chances are of getting a job, etc? Where would be the best place to go. Originally I was from East Midlands and have only been back twice to the UK (1980 and 1997). Wasn't thinking moving back on any of those visits but have been giving it serious thought.

Would it be better to rent initially and take any job offered. Am I likely to get offered a job at my age? I am female with a degree in communications (public relations) and hubby has a job in correctional management (prison!) also with a masters degree.

Love to get your input
from Snooze
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I live in Nottinghamshire, & if you're thinking of coming back to this area, there are plenty of prisons for your hubby to work in (my brother works at HMP Nottingham) and I'm sure your overseas experience will stand you in good stead for your line of work, if you were open to it, a PR background would be good experience for a move into Hospitality - although it may be seen as a young industry - management positions are acheivable relatively quickly for those who are driven enough to go for them. Good luck!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:49 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Read Me - I am desperate for advice

I to am from Nottingham.

And if your coming back to the East Midlands this is the only city to come back to.
The place seems to be booming at the moment with lots of growth, and there are plenty of prisons in the area.

Renting in the city could be expensive but there are cheaper areas on the outskirts.

Not called the worlds best city for nothing.

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point

Suggest you investigate this move carefully. The brits we know who moved back to the UK from SA thought better of it after a year. OK, they were from Joburg and moved back to Cape Town.
Hopefully you'll be better prepared having spent time in WA.

As for getting a job when you're over 50, don't expect too much. However, security firms seem to favour people from SA.

Good luck!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:25 am
mackem lad

ian gibson is an unknown quantity at this point

Problem solved,i work in prisons as a senior officer in north east of england and i am trying to get employment in prisons in australia so we will exchange.Seriously,prisons expanding all the time in this country,can give loads of advice if you want to e-mail
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

"There are a lot of prisons in Nottingham"

What does that tell you about Nottingham and the UK in general at the moment?

Sorry, I'm not knocking Nottingham specifically - I think Nottingham is a great City.

Billabong