Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Read if you still play the National Lottery

Read if you still play the National Lottery

Old Sep 18th 2009, 8:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Read if you still play the National Lottery

If you are still playing the National Lottery you need to read this.

https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/p...encaniplay.ftl

If you win whilst not resident in UK then tough!

I edited my details to my sister's name.

Ian
Old Sep 18th 2009, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all
Default Re: Read if you still play the National Lottery

Yes although the rules are slightly different if you are in a syndicate. I have been managing a syndicate so have been buying tickets for the syndicate online. I am moving to Australia soon and have been told by the National Lottery I can still participate in the syndicate but the syndicate will need to be managed by a UK resident. Sorted!
Old Sep 18th 2009, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Read if you still play the National Lottery

Do they have anything similar in Oz???
Old Sep 18th 2009, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

There is the lottery in Oz however the prizes are no where near as big. Of course that only matters if you actually win. If you are like me and seem to just give them money with not much in return it probably won't matter on what the prizes are. In Oz it is actually cheaper to enter though so I suppose that is why the jackpots are generally lower.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

just play oz lotto because if you win £'s in UK it's not worth converting to $'s on the poor exchange rate!

good luck!!
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ebo1608

If you win whilst not resident in UK then tough!
I am not sure this is true. It says that local laws may prevent you from gambling and therefore prizes may not be payable. Ozzies are among the biggest gamblers in the world !

Also if you have premium bonds in the UK and you win, you might be supposed to declare to Oz tax as they treat it as a gambling win and it might be subject to tax (foreign income /captital gain?). Not sure about this, maybe someone can correct me.

As for Oz lotteries, there are quite a few each week. Prizes are smaller, but you may have better chance of winning as there are less people in it.

What I find annoying is that in UK £1 gives you various chances. Over here you need a system to get the division prizes (ie less than all numbers correct) and these cost at least $3 upwards
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlap
What I find annoying is that in UK £1 gives you various chances. Over here you need a system to get the division prizes (ie less than all numbers correct) and these cost at least $3 upwards
Not sure what you are talking about here, but think you are wrong. Any game in lotto in Australia, is eligible for all prize divisions. That is if you buy 1 line in Oz Lotto it costs about $1.10 and is eligible for all divisions, so if you get as few as 3 numbers and the supp you get a prize. What you may be confused about is some games require you play a minimum number of games.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Vicky88
Not sure what you are talking about here, but think you are wrong. Any game in lotto in Australia, is eligible for all prize divisions. That is if you buy 1 line in Oz Lotto it costs about $1.10 and is eligible for all divisions, so if you get as few as 3 numbers and the supp you get a prize. What you may be confused about is some games require you play a minimum number of games.
I hope that is the case and you may be right (have you won anything).

I did see this on the Tattslotto site:
----------------------------------------------------------
Standard entry for Tattslotto, Super 66 and The Pools
A Standard 6 entry for Tattslotto requires you to select 6 numbers from 1 to 45 per game. For Super 66, you need to select 6 numbers from 0 to 9 per game

For Tattslotto the first six balls are the "winning numbers" and the last two balls drawn are the "supplementary numbers". To win a prize you need to get at least three of the winning numbers and one or both of the supplementary numbers in any one game.
----------------------------------------------------------

A standard entry is 6 numbers, so I don't get how you have the 6 ball entry and supplementals which are required to win some of the division prizes.

Also, beware if you play online (I did to avoid queues when jackpots were big). If you pay into your Tattslotto account by credit card, it is seen as a cash advance even if you do not purchase the entries at that point. I put $10in and got $2.50 fee (plus interest). Using bpay I am told is OK, but not tried it.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

To address your issues:

With regards to paying into your account using credit card, whether or not it is treated as a cash advance or a purchase is up to your bank, nothing to do with Tattslotto. I have used a NAB credit card and it has never come up as a cash advance so you may want to check with your bank. Also it does tell you on the Tatts website that your purchase may be treated as a cash advance by your credit card issuer.

I often win on the Australian lottery. I keep a spreadsheet of what I win in what games and I was updating it today because I received a check. I very rarely win on Monday, Wednesday or Saturday lottery. The game I hit on the most is Oz Lotto, followed by Powerball. The odds of winning a small prize on Oz Lotto are probably best of any, because you pick 7 numbers. However, the odds of winning the big prize are greater than the regular lotto. So depends if you are playing for the big one, or are content to pick up smaller prizes as to what you should play.

I am confused as to how you are interpreting the lotto rules. For example for Saturday Tattslotto I select 6 numbers which are as follows:

1 12 23 24 35 36

Numbers drawn as as follows: 1 12 23 7 8 9 - supps 24 and 40

Based on that draw results I have numbers 1 12 23 and the supplementary of 24 so I will the lowest division prize. You are not expected to get 6 numbers plus the supps. The supps just come into play in winning some divisions.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vicky88
To address your issues:

With regards to paying into your account using credit card, whether or not it is treated as a cash advance or a purchase is up to your bank, nothing to do with Tattslotto. I have used a NAB credit card and it has never come up as a cash advance so you may want to check with your bank. Also it does tell you on the Tatts website that your purchase may be treated as a cash advance by your credit card issuer.

I often win on the Australian lottery. I keep a spreadsheet of what I win in what games and I was updating it today because I received a check. I very rarely win on Monday, Wednesday or Saturday lottery. The game I hit on the most is Oz Lotto, followed by Powerball. The odds of winning a small prize on Oz Lotto are probably best of any, because you pick 7 numbers. However, the odds of winning the big prize are greater than the regular lotto. So depends if you are playing for the big one, or are content to pick up smaller prizes as to what you should play.

I am confused as to how you are interpreting the lotto rules. For example for Saturday Tattslotto I select 6 numbers which are as follows:

1 12 23 24 35 36

Numbers drawn as as follows: 1 12 23 7 8 9 - supps 24 and 40

Based on that draw results I have numbers 1 12 23 and the supplementary of 24 so I will the lowest division prize. You are not expected to get 6 numbers plus the supps. The supps just come into play in winning some divisions.
I did ring my bank (Westpac) about the credit charge and they said it was seen as a cash advance. I do understand it is not a Tattslotto thing.

Regarding the buying of games, thanks for clearing things up. I did go through the help and searched online and it was not as clear anywhere as you have made it. I have a few dollars left in my account, so will get some more tickets to check if you are right when all my winnings come flooding in !!!

Last edited by carlap; Sep 19th 2009 at 3:35 am.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Use those dollars to buy Oz Lotto or Powerball. The tickets are more expensive, but you are more likely to get a return.

Odds of getting the lowest division in each game are as follows:

Mon, Wed, Sat - 1 in 297
Oz - 1 in 55
Powerball - 1 in 160

I don't waste my time playing Super 66 as have never ever won anything on it. As I said I keep a spreadsheet of my wins, and I have won the most in Oz, followed by Power and the rest are far behind. I think I have only won once on Sat lotto all year.