British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Reaction from employer re references (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/reaction-employer-re-references-305957/)

JAR123 May 30th 2005 9:10 pm

Reaction from employer re references

Hi I just wondered what sort of reaction you may have had when requsting reference off existing employer for TRA application as by doing this you are laying your cards on the table fairly early on in the process.
Would appreciate your experiences.

Anne4Terry May 30th 2005 9:13 pm

Re: Reaction from employer re references

Originally Posted by JAR123
Hi I just wondered what sort of reaction you may have had when requsting reference off existing employer for TRA application as by doing this you are laying your cards on the table fairly early on in the process.

My husband has his own business so has only had to contact old employers. He's had no problem with this. They have merrily let him type up what needs to go in and then they have transferred that to their own business paper and signed it. In fact at his last job he ended up looking like he could've run the company single handedly.

At my work people have been very pleased for me but I have noticed that they have stopped offering me any more training.

JAR123 May 30th 2005 9:35 pm

Thanks Anne ,it's a difficult one isn't it?

eisb May 30th 2005 10:18 pm

I'm in my fourth job and I keep good relationship with the former three. I called them and explained that "I'm applying for a postgrade scholarship abroad" and I'm requiring employer reference in order demonstrate my work experience in order to the univ assess my experience... bla,bla,bla... Them they just told me write what you need and e-mail it to print it in the company letterhead sheet. For my actual employer, I told them almost the same but I didn't tell them that was abroad but with a local university in order to avoid they "stop them present me any trainning offer" as in the case from Anne4Terry.

So long.

markeh May 30th 2005 10:32 pm

Jar,
Hi there, my employer made it as difficult as possible.

HR told me that they didn't do references :mad:

My supervisor got into a bit of an argument with his manager over it, they obviously had a big difference of oppinoin over it because he later told me to write what I wonted and as long as it was correct he would sign it.

He didn't see the problem, but management took a different view.

I have to remind myself why I work there :confused: thank god the money makes up for it. :)

I hope it goes well for you.
Bye
Mark

JackTheLad May 30th 2005 10:38 pm

I think its a lesson in the old adage 'don't burn your bridges'

I had to contact all my employers from the previous 5 years, and believe me, some of them I had wanted to screw over so badly when I left.... But I didn't, and when it came to the application, they were all more than happy to give me a reference.

It still pissed me off that they got to know about my emigration plans, but at the end of the day, as long as they provided what was required, I was happy.

Cos now I don't give a toss what they think :D

JTL

Sir Les Patterson May 31st 2005 3:37 am

hi all i have been with my present employer for nearly 9 years now and we are good friends (he is my son's goodfather) as soon as we considered moving to oz he was told and agreed to help us all we wanted ...think this may be the odd case where employers is actually happy to help
steve

JackTheLad May 31st 2005 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Sir Les Patterson
(he is my son's goodfather)

It takes a big man to admit that.

I'm sure you treat him like your own though :)

JTL

Zentack May 31st 2005 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Sir Les Patterson
hi all i have been with my present employer for nearly 9 years now and we are good friends (he is my son's goodfather) as soon as we considered moving to oz he was told and agreed to help us all we wanted ...think this may be the odd case where employers is actually happy to help
steve

I asked my employer for a reference telling them it was for my application to the British Computer Society, which was true but I also used the same ref for my visa.

Papa Z

hooperhome May 31st 2005 7:29 am

My hubby is self employed so only required references from previous employers. However we needed various statements from suppliers and customers regarding amount of trade and credit rating.

We white-lied to everyone, didn't want to rock the boat, like you said it is still a very early stage. We told everyone that the bank needed a reference in order to review our overdraft facility. We told them what was required and they provided it on headed paper. Brief but to the point.