Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

REACHING THE TENDER AGE OF 45?

REACHING THE TENDER AGE OF 45?

Old May 21st 2010, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

debs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nice
Default REACHING THE TENDER AGE OF 45?

Hi Guys

I just had a thought and I know this must sound a pretty pathetic question my visa was validated a few years ago and we have until June 2012 to enter the country.

I just wanted to check I will be 45 next year and I know they say that you cannot enter the country once you reach the ripe old age of 45 will this apply to me or because I have now got my visa this wont apply.

Sorry to sound stupid but please can someone put my mind at rest pretty please?

Many thanks

Debbie
Old May 21st 2010, 9:15 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: REACHING THE TENDER AGE OF 45?

You will be absolutely fine...your visa is validated & you have your date of 2012, make your plans & enjoy

The age relates to the age at the time of application...I'm going to be older than you once we finally get to Oz, if it makes you feel any better
Old May 21st 2010, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Good to know that there are a few veterans like us out there.

Any thoughts on migration being harder/ easier depending upon age or is it mostly down to personal circumstance and personality?

Bezza
Old May 21st 2010, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Yes it is good to know that some over 40`s and over 50`s are heading off to OZ for their new lives. My hubby is 50 this year and we`ve just returned to Adelaide for a 2nd shot at staying here.

Bluekipper
Old May 22nd 2010, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

We both just turned 47 and will be returning to OZ in a couple of months to start our lives over. Our 2nd time in OZ. Hopefully this time we'll get it right and can stay on (property sold, etc.).

I think it might make it easier in that you know what your mind is and not as easily swayed by family and friends opinion. Just my take on it.

Good luck
Old May 22nd 2010, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tiger222
We both just turned 47 and will be returning to OZ in a couple of months to start our lives over. Our 2nd time in OZ. Hopefully this time we'll get it right and can stay on (property sold, etc.).

I think it might make it easier in that you know what your mind is and not as easily swayed by family and friends opinion. Just my take on it.

Good luck

Good on ya,, good luck and im sure it will be perfect,, we are not regretting it so far,, we are a month in,, still finding it tough but not homesick !!!

Bluekipper
Old May 22nd 2010, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bluekipper
Yes it is good to know that some over 40`s and over 50`s are heading off to OZ for their new lives. My hubby is 50 this year and we`ve just returned to Adelaide for a 2nd shot at staying here.

Bluekipper
Bluekipper,

Out of ineterest what made you leave in the first place and do you think this move is for good?

We've already lived in Oz, some time ago mind you, and are now planning to return in our mid-forties with 2 children so it will be a different experience 'for sure'.

Bezza
Old May 22nd 2010, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tiger222

Good luck
Not sure about being swayed by family and friends but planning on continuing to rent out our homes in the UK - some people suggest this makes it easier to consider retruning. Thoughts?
Old May 22nd 2010, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

It's much easier to have your house waiting for you if you get cold feet. When you sell it's really forever. You won't have that house back again. It's tough to do that without having "a life" in OZ

We rented our house out the first time we lived in OZ 2008 - 2009. We stayed for 8 months. There were some problems with the renter that we found difficult to work out considering the distance and time difference, etc.

When we got our house back, it didn't feel like "home" for a long time. It also took friends a while to remember to include us as we'd been gone for so long.

This time we're selling - at least trying to. But the market is soft and we might end up renting again....
Old May 22nd 2010, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bluekipper
Good on ya,, good luck and im sure it will be perfect,, we are not regretting it so far,, we are a month in,, still finding it tough but not homesick !!!

Bluekipper
Bluekipper - thanks for the encouragement. We are looking forward to our return - and so are most of our children (7 year old has made some wonderful friends at her school here and sad about losing them) - we have 4 children. We'll return to the area we lived in previously to start. Depending on where OH works, we might have to consider relocating later....

Where are you settled? Do you still wake up in the morning and say "wow, we're in Australia"?
Old May 22nd 2010, 2:23 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if it's true for others, but it's certainly true for me, that as I'm older I feel more of my own person, if that makes sense. I used to be very worried about the opinions of my parents & my ex, spent probably 30 of my adult years trying to appease other people.

My girls are older, they want to go & now I just think "what the hell, it's now or never & it's my time!" Fortunately, OH feels the same

I'm realistic about the problems to expect when we're out there, but I feel emotionally very capable of dealing with it...I think thats one thing that comes with being older, you do feel more confident, children are older. I also have a sense of personal responsibility I never had when I was younger - no looking around for things or people to blame if things go wrong, it's down to us to make a go of it at the end of the day
Old May 23rd 2010, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

We're most certainly at the now or never stage of moving to Oz. Whilst in the past we might have hesitated a bit I think we are now much more ready to make the big decision and then to make this work - always the real challenge!

We know whet we're going in to and the attractions are not so much the big house on the block with the pool but the outdoor life.

Even in winter Victoria has some good days - we know we were there last year - and whilst we'd miss the snow, knowing we could get out and about more often really will make a difference.

Bezza
Old May 23rd 2010, 12:27 pm
Da bing bing!

There's plenty of snow in Victoria, no need to miss it

http://www.mtbuller.com.au/Winter/
Old May 23rd 2010, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not at the moment it seems!
Old May 23rd 2010, 1:21 pm
Da bing bing!

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
Not at the moment it seems!
Errrr....not quite winter yet though, is it? It'll be here soon enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.