Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Re-training, which professions best?

Re-training, which professions best?

Old Sep 28th 2004, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

lexmorrell is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re-training, which professions best?

if i was looking to re-train in a profession, which would be most successful if i wanted to emmigrate to australia?
Old Sep 28th 2004, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

odaat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Re-training, which professions best?

Originally Posted by lexmorrell
if i was looking to re-train in a profession, which would be most successful if i wanted to emmigrate to australia?
Suggest you go to the Australian dept. Immigration + Multi cultural affairs DIMA, and look up occupations shortages in Australia.

IE
Nursery nursing
general Nursing
Para medical
Medicine
Legal
Teaching
IT
Building Trades
Engineering
Electrical

You will also need a few years post grd experience in the job.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 5:24 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

If it comes down to satisfying the points system, I would strongly recommend a job or skill listed on the MODL, which is a shortlist of occupations in demand. There are also State lists which show which skills are in short supply for certain States should you wish to be State-sponsored.

As for 'most successful', I'd say you can't go far wrong with Nursing which would include various specialities of General Nursing and Mental Health Nursing. I'm training to be the latter just to make myself more employable. It also helps that I love the job, and I can work in Australia and elsewhere with this skill. Also, if you underwent your three year's training, you would in all likelihood find that your skills are still in big demand at the end of it, whereas in some other professions on the MODL, it's harder to predict if they would still be on that list in years to come.

That's my take on it anyway. Just follow the link in the previous post and good luck in whatever you decide to do!
Old Sep 28th 2004, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

JerrySpringer is an unknown quantity at this point

Is picking an occupation off the MODL advisable? By the time you have re-trained and accrued the necessary experience and qualifications, will those occupations still be on the MODL? The MODL changes regularly. Unfortunately, it is probably not easy to predict what is going to be on - or off - the MODL in the future, by the time you come to apply for residency.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JerrySpringer
Is picking an occupation off the MODL advisable? By the time you have re-trained and accrued the necessary experience and qualifications, will those occupations still be on the MODL? The MODL changes regularly. Unfortunately, it is probably not easy to predict what is going to be on - or off - the MODL in the future, by the time you come to apply for residency.
I agree, which is why I highlighted nursing, as it is one of the few professions consistently in big demand in Aus. In the case of Mental Health Nursing, skills shortages have continued to become more acute for quite a while now.

I think it would be relatively difficult to predict future trends for most professions, but i would confidently predict that shortages of nurses and their presence on the MODL list or at least the State Sponshorship/employee sponsorship routes, would at least give you a very good chance.

If anything, getting into Aus as a nurse has become easier in the last few years. As I say, that's my take on it anyway.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 9:19 pm

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point

if you're prepared to take the risk and study in Australia, with the possibility you would not achieve PR at the end, then post qualification work experience (recent work experience) would not be an issue as DIMIA waive this requirement for overseas students (although there are some important rules to be adhered to)

You can also gain points for studying and living in a regional area which all helps. The area of study I embark on in Feb 05 has just come back onto the MODL, but I do not need those points so it'll be abonus if it's still on there when I qualify.

Do you have close family in Australia??

Old Sep 28th 2004, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Hairdressing....We're still DESPERATE for good hairdressers over here........!!! :scared:
Old Sep 30th 2004, 9:19 am
Just Joined

lexmorrell is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Re-training, which professions best?

Thanks for all your help!Nursing was a direction i had seriously considered anyway. Might make the three years training much easier knowing whats at the of of it!
Old Oct 1st 2004, 12:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
If it comes down to satisfying the points system, I would strongly recommend a job or skill listed on the MODL, which is a shortlist of occupations in demand. There are also State lists which show which skills are in short supply for certain States should you wish to be State-sponsored.
It's also important to study something that *interests* you - it will be an awful drag otherwise.

Choose something which is easily transferable across borders - eg accountancy is not perfect but is much better than law.

Also choose something that should serve you well at home should PR plans not work out (as they may not do - much can change in three years, plus you'll be older).

Jeremy
Old Oct 1st 2004, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, but training to be a nurse just to get into a country is not the way to go. I know everywhere is desperate for nurses, but you do need something more than the desire to emigrate to get you on to and through the course.
Good luck anyway

Gill {RGN}