Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Re-qualifying as a solicitor in Au?

Re-qualifying as a solicitor in Au?

Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Tasha* is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re-qualifying as a solicitor in Au?

Hello all!

I would be very thankful if you could give me some advice.

I am doing my law conversion now, and I am going to do my LPC and my training contract, and then to apply for the immigration to AU.

I have read a lot of threads about the qualification as a solicitor in AU, but I still don't fully understand the picture.

The thing is, before I read this forum, I was thinking that I will take 6 months off between the LPC and the start of my training contract, and go to AU to take some courses there and thus to satisfy the academic requirements for admission. Then I was going to do my training contract, qualify and apply for the practical exemption (I've got the idea, that once you are qualified in England, you just fill in the application form, enclose some documents and send the to NSW, and they say that the practical requirements are satisfied, am I right?), and then to apply for the admission in NSW.

But now, after reading all the threads here, I have got the idea that it may be not the simplest way to re-qualify. It was written here that to qualify in Queensland is much easier, but I can't find anything about this on their Law Society Website.

Do you think that my original plan was OK, or is there anything else I can do about it? I would be really thankful for any information, because I am just at the beginning, and the only thing I have found out so far is the address of the Law Society in NSW and Queensland, which is not very helpful, really!

Cheers!
Tasha
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-qualifying as a solicitor in Au?

Originally Posted by Tasha*
Hello all!

Asked and answered on the immigration forum.

Jeremy
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

finsbury will become famous soon enough

Tasha

I don't know what your exact plans are but I am curious why you are qualifying in England only to transfer to Australia. Is it because you want to immigrate in three years time? Or is it dictated by visa requirements?

I have a spouse visa but I am in a similar boat as I plan to do the NSW equivalent of the LPC/training contract next year. What is immediately apparant is that it is much cheaper and much quicker to become a qualified legal practioner in NSW than it is to become a solicitor in England. There is an academic course that can be done full-time or part-time by correspondence, which lasts 4 or 7 months respectively, and then 75 days of work experience, which may be reduced, depending on previous experience.

You can get more information on this and for re-qualifying at www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au and www.collaw.edu.au.

I'm not sure what the Queensland requirements are as qualification is based on individual state and I've only looked at NSW.

Originally Posted by Tasha*
Hello all!

I am doing my law conversion now, and I am going to do my LPC and my training contract, and then to apply for the immigration to AU.

I have read a lot of threads about the qualification as a solicitor in AU, but I still don't fully understand the picture.

The thing is, before I read this forum, I was thinking that I will take 6 months off between the LPC and the start of my training contract, and go to AU to take some courses there and thus to satisfy the academic requirements for admission. Then I was going to do my training contract, qualify and apply for the practical exemption (I've got the idea, that once you are qualified in England, you just fill in the application form, enclose some documents and send the to NSW, and they say that the practical requirements are satisfied, am I right?), and then to apply for the admission in NSW.

But now, after reading all the threads here, I have got the idea that it may be not the simplest way to re-qualify. It was written here that to qualify in Queensland is much easier, but I can't find anything about this on their Law Society Website.

Do you think that my original plan was OK, or is there anything else I can do about it? I would be really thankful for any information, because I am just at the beginning, and the only thing I have found out so far is the address of the Law Society in NSW and Queensland, which is not very helpful, really!

Cheers!
Tasha
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Tasha* is an unknown quantity at this point

To JAJ - thank you very much for the answer!

To finsbury

The thing is, that I have got a training contract here with a really good firm, and I was thinking that it would be easier for me to find a job in Au as an experienced lawyer.

Also I am not ready to immigrate now, and I can't do that anyway, because I don't have a spouse visa

Originally Posted by finsbury
Tasha

I don't know what your exact plans are but I am curious why you are qualifying in England only to transfer to Australia. Is it because you want to immigrate in three years time? Or is it dictated by visa requirements?

I have a spouse visa but I am in a similar boat as I plan to do the NSW equivalent of the LPC/training contract next year. What is immediately apparant is that it is much cheaper and much quicker to become a qualified legal practioner in NSW than it is to become a solicitor in England. There is an academic course that can be done full-time or part-time by correspondence, which lasts 4 or 7 months respectively, and then 75 days of work experience, which may be reduced, depending on previous experience.

You can get more information on this and for re-qualifying at www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au and www.collaw.edu.au.

I'm not sure what the Queensland requirements are as qualification is based on individual state and I've only looked at NSW.