Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

RBA Raises rates .25% to 5.25%

RBA Raises rates .25% to 5.25%

Old Dec 2nd 2003, 9:45 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RBA Raises rates .25% to 5.25%

Interest rates have just been raised another .25% and dollar is nearly at .73USD

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...351615577.html

This is where it gets interesting with the housing.
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Plus side - house prices will slow right up
Minus side - like a buffoon all my money is in the UK and the $ will go up on this news.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 3:57 am

Some interesting conversations from people at work who have overstretched themselves on property. Generally these people would be fine except they have bought investment properties. A loss of tennant would push their finances over the edge. The current rate rises are making them think of cashing in.

There is someone else who has land and their current property. They have ordered the builders in and combined with the rate rise has pushed them into the red. They have a redraw facility on their loan but that will last them 6 months.

They were thinking of holding their current property as an investment but are considering selling.

Another colleague who lives with his mum but has an investment property is going to have to stop going out at weekends.

A lot of peole are reducing their spending and it will be interesting to see the effect on the retail sector.

All anecdotal evidence but a definate change in sentiment from last year.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Interesting isn't it.

We've got a bloke in our office who thinks that property can never ever lose you money.
Thing is all these folk with investment units are negative gearing for all they are worth. so they are running the place at a loss on the given that the price of the unit will sky rocket. This is fine in a booming market, but now they will be running at a loss whilst the value is also potentially falling - a lose lose scenario.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 6:23 am

Originally posted by RichS
Interesting isn't it.

We've got a bloke in our office who thinks that property can never ever lose you money.
Thing is all these folk with investment units are negative gearing for all they are worth. so they are running the place at a loss on the given that the price of the unit will sky rocket. This is fine in a booming market, but now they will be running at a loss whilst the value is also potentially falling - a lose lose scenario.
I tell them they obviously know nothing of house price trends in the last 20 years.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 5:02 pm
Badge

they mean that over, say a generation, you can't lose - it's just the cycles in between and rates going to 15-18pc..whilst you sit it out..

I think aussie rates went to 18pc. In the UK it was 15...?

Badge

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 7:46 pm

Originally posted by badgersmount
they mean that over, say a generation, you can't lose - it's just the cycles in between and rates going to 15-18pc..whilst you sit it out..

I think aussie rates went to 18pc. In the UK it was 15...?

Badge
On average you correct that long term the trend is above interest rates. I have encountered the attitude RichS is on about and they seem to be suffering amnesia. They reckon houses can carry on going up 20% a year every year even though the market is overvalued by 20%.