Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rates Of Pay For Australian Teachers?

Rates Of Pay For Australian Teachers?

Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

ian27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rates Of Pay For Australian Teachers?

Hello...

I am curious about something. I am a PR of Australia but I am currently teaching overseas in Poland. Does anybody know what the rates of pay for teachers are in Australia? I have experience of teaching in primary schools, high schools, and teaching English as a foreign language to adults.

Thank you in advance.

Ian
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:46 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Re: Rates Of Pay For Australian Teachers?

Originally Posted by ian27
Hello...

I am curious about something. I am a PR of Australia but I am currently teaching overseas in Poland. Does anybody know what the rates of pay for teachers are in Australia? I have experience of teaching in primary schools, high schools, and teaching English as a foreign language to adults.

Thank you in advance.

Ian
In WA the top of the scale - after 7 years of teaching i think, is $81000 approx! Couldn't comment on the other states!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:51 am
ABCDiamond

2009 Australian Teachers Salary Scales
Beginning Teachers (4 yr trained)
State

Qld $48,829
NSW $52,745
ACT $52,128
Vic $52,571
Tas $48,638 Tas teachers expecting 5.9% increase in March
S A $51,465 Includes 3.75% pay rise as handed down Feb 9, 2009.
WA $52,931 Includes $1600 allowance for WA Beginning Teachers
NT $54,290

more: teachers-wages-in-australia/

Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:56 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
2009 Australian Teachers Salary Scales
Beginning Teachers (4 yr trained)
State

Qld $48,829
NSW $52,745
ACT $52,128
Vic $52,571
Tas $48,638 Tas teachers expecting 5.9% increase in March
S A $51,465 Includes 3.75% pay rise as handed down Feb 9, 2009.
WA $52,931 Includes $1600 allowance for WA Beginning Teachers
NT $54,290

more: teachers-wages-in-australia/
WA starting teachers actually get $58807 plus the $1600 on top of that.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 1:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kar-kier
WA starting teachers actually get $58807 plus the $1600 on top of that.
Hmm, the Queensland Teachers' Union say that's the rate for WA

However, WA now quotes:

Salary as at October 2009
Level 1.6 $53,898*
Level 1.7 $58,807*

* this does not include the $1,600pa graduate allowance

I'll update my figures

Old Oct 14th 2009, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Are you 4 year trained teacher? As this is usually the important bit.
They do not accept GTP here.
You have to have a 4 year teaching degree or a 3year degree and a Post graduate in teaching.

Gems
Old Oct 14th 2009, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Yes I have a 4 year teaching degree that was finished in 2000 when I was still living in the UK. It is a BA (hons) Music (with Qualified Teacher Status). It was quite useful in England because it allowed me to teach in any school I wished.

I also have a few years of experience in Primary Schools and High Schools, and I am currently teaching English as a foreign language in Poland. My current contract finished in June 2010, and I am wondering what my next move should be.

Thank you for the posts so far... Very helpful... Did any of you manage to secure a teaching position before you arrived in Australia?

Thank you in advance...

Ian
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:32 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Are you registered in QLD? It could take about 4 months to get registered, so if you're not I'd start looking into that.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by comet555
Are you registered in QLD? It could take about 4 months to get registered, so if you're not I'd start looking into that.
I would agree with this time scale. I sent off my QLD teacher registration forms back in the beginning of July and as of yet I have not heard anything. get something soon.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nbn8
I would agree with this time scale. I sent off my QLD teacher registration forms back in the beginning of July and as of yet I have not heard anything. get something soon.
Hello... Thank you for all of the responses. How do I go about registering as a teacher in Queensland? Can I fill out the forms online?

Also, does anybody know the procedure to register as a teacher in WA? And does anybody know what what the prospects are for teaching English as a foreign language in Australia? I have been doing this for some time now also and enjoy it.

Last edited by ian27; Oct 15th 2009 at 4:11 am.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:16 am
Living the dream!

Hello... Thank you for all of the responses. How do I go about registering as a teacher in Queensland? Can I fill out the forms online?

Also, does anybody know the procedure to register as a teacher in WA? And does anybody know what what the prospects are for teaching English as a foreign language in Australia? I have been doing this for some time now also and enjoy it.
You need to registar with WACOT just google it, you just print out the forms, fill them in and send them off.

I could be wrong, but don't think there is a huge call for English as a second language teachers, mainly because most people speak English!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:14 am
ABCDiamond

And does anybody know what what the prospects are for teaching English as a foreign language in Australia? I have been doing this for some time now also and enjoy it.
Check with somewhere like Mission Australia, as I think they do language courses for new migrants.

Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:23 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

For Queensland it's the Queensland College of Teachers:
http://www.qct.edu.au/registration/new.html
Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:04 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
For Queensland it's the Queensland College of Teachers:
http://www.qct.edu.au/registration/new.html
Does anyone know what a Primary Teacher with 10 years teaching experience would earn in QLD. I've had my skills assessed by TA and they're recognised for me to teach in Australia (4 year BEd with honours).
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Does anyone know what a Primary Teacher with 10 years teaching experience would earn in QLD. I've had my skills assessed by TA and they're recognised for me to teach in Australia (4 year BEd with honours).
Hi Jen are you heading to QLD? May see you out there would be lovely to get together. I will check back as I am sure someone gave me a link a while ago with the rates etc for teaching in QLD. Im out tonight back to school for Awards evening so when I get a sec will pop the link on for you. Nicky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.