Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rate this job offer

Rate this job offer

Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rate this job offer

Originally Posted by spalen
f'n programmers, shouldn't be allowed to play with real people
G'Day Spalen! Haven't seen you for a while.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
My questions are:

Have you actually been offered the position?

If not, you don't even know if the job is for real - they might have an internal candidate for whom this job was created.

If you have already been offered the job, what sort of role is it? What do you do in IT?

Is this going to be your first job in Australia? Have you been looking for a job for long? Is this the only offer after dozens of applications? Are you under financial pressure? If yes to all these questions, may be it's not that bad an offer. At least get yourself some local experience.

Mrs JTL
I am a Linux sysadmin. This will be a continuation of my present job. I used to work there as a contractor and now I am going to be employed permanently. This was my first job in Australia and I have worked here for a year. Considering the complexity of the job and expertise required, it should have been 80k at least.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_gripmaster
I am a Linux sysadmin. This will be a continuation of my present job. I used to work there as a contractor and now I am going to be employed permanently. This was my first job in Australia and I have worked here for a year. Considering the complexity of the job and expertise required, it should have been 80k at least.
$75k plus super seems pretty fair to me for Linux system admin and it's not that far off $80k. Take the offer and if you find a better job you can always leave.

I think government jobs are great for the hours, stability, and flexibility with family.

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
f'n programmers, shouldn't be allowed to play with real people

Sometimes we have to talk to real people. The annoying bit is when they use words.

JTL
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Pixie77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just sticking my nose in here- hope nobody minds

What IT companies does everyone else work for? I'm looking for sponsorship for OH who is MCSE Avaya, CCNA into networks/systems etc anyone got any tips/hints/ contacts please?

What chances do we really have ??