Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Random Breath Tests

Random Breath Tests

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 9:02 am
ABCDiamond

Default Random Breath Tests

Random Breath Tests in Queensland:

Just on the news today, in the last 2 weeks 205,000 random breath tests were carried out in Queensland, and 1,606 people were caught driving over the limit.

That is almost 8 out of every 1,000 Queensland drivers who were driving over the limit, during the extended Christmas period.

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random Breath Tests

Japan has very strict limits, the default is zero and not far up the scale its an automatic 12 months in jail unless you are rich. Their driving tests are very hard with much theory covering not just driving but car maintenance emphasising diagnosis of problems that can cause danger, you would do very well to qualify in 18 months there. With all this they still have some terrible drivers, might be that they become over confident. I have read that people who take advanced driving courses tend to have more insurance claims.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:56 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Strangely never been tested.. Got a feeling the cops go to bed at 8pm with everyone else.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 11:02 am
Outback Club Member

Paddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant future

I was tested when I was over in Aus last July....road block and about 20 cops, lights flashing, 'drug squad' vans etc. Never come across anything like this is the UK. Quite scary until I realised what is was!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 11:52 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Past 2 road side efforts near Castle Hill, didn't get waved in either time.....
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:19 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Random Breath Tests in Queensland:

Just on the news today, in the last 2 weeks 205,000 random breath tests were carried out in Queensland, and 1,606 people were caught driving over the limit.

That is almost 8 out of every 1,000 Queensland drivers who were driving over the limit, during the extended Christmas period.
Been tested a few times here in Perth, always when you never expect it.
One night about 2.00am on the way to the airport there was a booze bus and they often set up at Whitfords Beach where I live, so get tested if driving.

Personally, I think it's fantastic, should do it in the UK. I never drank and drove in the UK but also I never go tested, meaning more people might be tempted to risk it and drive when over the limit. Knowing there could be a Booze Bus around the corner is a great deterrent.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:21 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

But i was the non drinker at Christmas and got pulled coming out of the pub, i don't mind as i never drink and drive so it was not a problem.

Kerry.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

We got pulled over in NSW... not a prob as werent over the limit..

I am very single minded on DD... if you have had a pint then don't bother driving... either drink at home or leave the car at home..

Em x
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:35 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

A friends dad told me yesterday that he crashed a car a few years ago, he had fallen asleep behind the wheel while clutching a bottle of beer, pissed out of his head.

Personally I cannot believe how many people in Perth think it is acceptable to drink and drive, saying that 'they drive better' or 'they are in control' and other such shite.

Or 'we can never get a taxi' kind of crap to justify driving their car when they know full well they will be drinking.

Last week they had loads of roadblocks where we live and booze buses and lots of people stopped and breath tested.

Something isnt working though, it goes on, nothing seems to deter people from doing it and what is more, from justifying it.

Perhaps if every person that thinks it is OK to drink and drive, lost a loved one by a drunk driver, they might think differently.

Another friend admitted driving home after our xmas party completely pissed up, people laughed and some said 'good on you my son'. Perhaps they are thick, perhaps their intellect has sunk down at the same time their stupidity rose to new levels - or perhaps they just cant help it - being a plank.

Oh to depend on alcohol so much that you have to break the law to get your 'fix' and genuinely believe that you won't ever knock anyone down and of course you are not at risk because you are super human and the best driver in the world.

Out of interest, I wonder how many people were killed through drunk driving last year and how many lives were ruined as a result

And that rant was dedicated to a good family friend who had his life taken by one such idiot who I do believe is still enjoying his life.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:36 pm
Outback Club Member

Paddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant future

I also think it's a great idea.
Also wish they did it in the UK...would surely act as a great deterrent
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Been tested a few times here in Perth, always when you never expect it.
One night about 2.00am on the way to the airport there was a booze bus and they often set up at Whitfords Beach where I live, so get tested if driving.

Personally, I think it's fantastic, should do it in the UK. I never drank and drove in the UK but also I never go tested, meaning more people might be tempted to risk it and drive when over the limit. Knowing there could be a Booze Bus around the corner is a great deterrent.
Only ever been breath tested once and that was at Whitfords beach also, Been waved on twice at the same spot. Think there should be more of them far too many pissed up drivers on the road. Its a shame that most that get caught only get banned for 3 months.
What i can't get over is the fact they can appeal and get an E Plate "Extraordinary License" after being caught for pissy driving but you can't get if you get banned for speeding.
Seems that Pissy Driving is ok and speeding is worse
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:57 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Having worked in Ambulance and having dealt with parents and youngsters saying "if only"... my tolerance is low with drink driving. First patient that ever died on me was during when I was still studying nursing in Finland, 2 yr kid playing on front lawn, DD comes to his road and wiped him off infront of his mum. Never want to experience that again from any side of the fence, as a parent, driver or as a nurse. Trully shocking.

As for punishment in Oz, our former property manager was named and shamed in local paper for drag racing on main stip, over 100km/h on 50km area (before the hoon laws), blew 0.2121 and got fined $900 plus 4 wks later she showed up to ours to do property inspection wearing E plates.... Let her know exactly what I thought of her actions, not that she liked my reaction but had to say it!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:06 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
Having worked in Ambulance and having dealt with parents and youngsters saying "if only"... my tolerance is low with drink driving. First patient that ever died on me was during when I was still studying nursing in Finland, 2 yr kid playing on front lawn, DD comes to his road and wiped him off infront of his mum. Never want to experience that again from any side of the fence, as a parent, driver or as a nurse. Trully shocking.

As for punishment in Oz, our former property manager was named and shamed in local paper for drag racing on main stip, over 100km/h on 50km area (before the hoon laws), blew 0.2121 and got fined $900 plus 4 wks later she showed up to ours to do property inspection wearing E plates.... Let her know exactly what I thought of her actions, not that she liked my reaction but had to say it!

Hmmm, an agent we know said he has crawled to his car under the influence before, said with a huge element of pride on his face.

I think EVERYONE that drink drives is a fully paid up member of the 'Mrs Palm and her five lovely daughters' Club.

I told a guy at work that admitted to doing it, to imagine a copper knocking on his door to say his 13 year old kid had been taken out by a DD.

'Thats a bit harsh' he said shocked that I was so graphic.

'yes but you would still think it worth the risk' I snapped back at him.

The emergency services/doctors/nurses are the ones that pick up the pieces of this habit and its the families that pay the price forever.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Just been watching them from the window not far from North Stradbroke ferry terminal so beware people they do tend to turn up at the least most expected spots Results out of about 50-60 i saw them testing ,2 people given sheets of paper for whatever reason and 1 carted off in the UNMARKED police car (a female ) for what i assume was being OTT
Old Jan 4th 2009, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I have been tested loads of times. Once I was tested in remote roads near Exmouth (mid WA) on my way to buy milk....10 mins later they were checking the other side of the road and I was tested again! Apparently they catch loads of fishermen this way.
I was also tested on my way to hospital to be induced- young copper was very nice and wished me well!

The driving/drinking culture is definitely alive and kicking- see the number of abandoned cars after a blitz on the Westgate Bridge.

I was annoyed to read in the paper today that some supposedly famous bloke (Dermot Brereton) was pissed on NYE, so got a bike out the back of his car and rode home. Surely this is also illegal? If he fell off and under someone's wheels, how would the other person feel. Can't understand why this was held up as a 'good thing"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.