Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

rambling thoughts on finally being in Melbourne.

rambling thoughts on finally being in Melbourne.

Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice
Default rambling thoughts on finally being in Melbourne.

I’ve been here in Melbourne for about three weeks and thought I’d write some notes in my experiences. People that do not rambling posts leave now. As should well researched people that think they'll learn something.

Some background. I’m married to a non-Brit and have a three year old daughter. We’ve had our visas for nearly two years, and had done a validation/recon trip about a year ago so knew our target suburb. I’m a white collar professional with no job as yet (haven’t looked) and carried about GBP60k with me as proceeds from my flat sale in Croydon – so more money than some, and less than others. Although from Croydon, I am not a chav, though nearby Frankston has many.

I’m not a flag waving Brit, love European art and architecture (and had hang-ups about missing going to A-list galleries etc), am moving for financial reasons, and also to scratch that itch about ‘giving it a go’. Feel close to my small family, though I only see mum and dad three or four times a year as they lived two hundred miles away from London.

Well I got here and having just spent two weeks in Hong Kong and Taiwan my head and already been simmering with currency conversions. Being in Australia that first morning started burning the conversion fuses, until realising that there is no longer any point converting currencies. It is totally irrelevant how much something is in the UK and whether it is cheaper or more expensive here. I live here now and must deal with it on its own terms.

Having an Australian address is absolutely key to getting things started. I was in a hotel so that wouldn’t do, and it took me two weeks before I had somewhere rented. Luckily I had a friend that lived in the suburb of Elwood who said I could use his.

Medicare:
Needed a passport and verbal communication of an Aussie address to get a Medicare number. Card was sent through about 10 days later.

Bank
Well I had done the Commonwealth migrant banking thing, and thank the Lord I did. I needed a passport and a verbal communication of address to get the account activated. Got the plastic one week later. Got a credit card three weeks later with a stingy AUD1000 credit limit. At least this marks the beginning of getting a local credit record – which was my real objective. I kept all my UK credit cards anyhow, and the providers have no problems with my living in Australia. Of course, I may leave CBA soon anyhow, but I got my start.

I also tried to open up a HSBC account by walking into a branch, but fell foul of the address thing. They needed written evidence from an official source.

Tax File Number
Can only get this online, and when in the country. You need your passport number with you and an Australian address. It took to the ATO about 10 days to send through my TFN.

Renting a Place
Easy and smooth. They are so used to migrants that this is no issue. As I had no job, I ensured that I could prove that I had funds to pay the rent. No problems.

Driving Licence
Need a primary ID (passport) and official letter from a government agency sent to your address to change to a Victorian licence. In my case I had a letter from the government department that holds the deposit to the house I’ve just rented, so this was good enough. VICROADS invalidate my UK licence by punching a hole through it. Damn, they did NOT transfer my speeding endorsement. How I cried.

Driving.
Easy, especially after living in London for eight years. More big cars than UK, and if only I had bought a ute!!!! Ute drivers, go!

Shipping.
Accepted the most expensive shipping quote (Allied Pickfords) and took a full container, which we didn’t fill. We wanted to control timing and have the same company on the other side of the world in case things went wrong (my wife used to work in import/export and advised this was worth paying the extra for). Arrived on time in Melbourne. Customs are taking three weeks to clear stuff so I’ve got an empty house (mad dash to Ikea to buy a cheap thing to sleep on). Am now incurring extra costs via shippers to pay for costs of the customs service. So far this is about $300. If anything requires fumigation then this will be more still. Am staying chilled out.

As an aside, for those intending to buy furniture over here, I have noted that the aesthetic is different here – not worse, just different. While Ikea (which I loathe) is Ikea anywhere, most furniture is modern in style, usually wooden, and of a clean cut. There is much less sense of buying something of a European rustic style. Asiatic furniture (aged or new) is more common and cheaper than in the UK. We had previously bought much of our furniture from John Lewis, and I feel that I am struggling to find stuff of a similar ilk, and that’s having been up and down the shops on Frankston-Dandenong Road, along Bridge Street, Richmond and all those places on the Nepean Highway. So, one thing I had not previously considered that I’ll have to change about myself.

Weather
Admittedly it is exceptionally dry – and there’s the drought thing – but Melbourne weather is fine by me. Have a slight tan. And I’ve got culture on my doorstep too so not envying you wannabee Brisbane-ites at all!

Food
The Age – Cheap Eats Guide is checking out to be rather reliable so far. Though I’ve never had a good curry in this country ever, the Chinese dumpling shops, French bistros and Italian bite places have been solid. Brekky in Mt Eliza (where I live) and Mornington have been par excellance.

So Far Away
Hmmmm. Well only a few weeks in so my ability to comment is limited. The time difference is what tells, as I can’t spontaneously ring my parents or sister. Otherwise no big shakes. The distance from high European culture has transpired not be a big deal. I seem to put all his in some compartment of my brain and put it to one side.

Things I Did Right and Would Do Again
Choose to go to Melbourne
Bought the Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia. Jolly good stuff compactly written.
Ensured that I spent good time with family before I left.
Said goodbye to family and did not avoid doing so.
Didn’t go with parents to the airport.
Had a stopover on the way (that’s easy for me, as my in-laws are in HK).
Replaced my front-loader washer dryer while in the UK. Cost a fortune over here.
Get a migrant account with Commonwealth Bank for ease of set-up.

Things I Wouldn’t Do Again
Notwithstanding the washer dryer mentioned above, well, we had been buying things in the UK for taking over with us, say glassware, ceramics. Though I feel we were right to ship everything, I am more hesitant about buying extra stuff in UK-side. Melbourne shopping is fine and the prices okay.

Surprises
Having a peacock in my back garden.
Having a lemon tree in full fruit in my back garden too.
Ute drivers! Go again!
That many Aussies think a one hour commute to work is unthinkable.
The price of organic food (high).
That for creative media, such as music, film etc….Aussie usually quote how it did in the UK, whereas in the UK people comment on how it did in America.
Lack of news programs with good in-depth editorials. I was previously a Newsnight/Channel 4 news type person (okay, so that puts me in a tiny minority). Haven’t, so far, found that kind of analytical news style except on ABC Pacific/Asia, which you can’t get in Australia.

Help
Where can I buy porcini mushrooms in the CBD or SE?

Neil
Old Jun 7th 2005, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

caz41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: rambling thoughts on finally being in Melbourne.

Welcome to Mount Eliza we have been here 6 months, can't help with the mushrooms though.

Caz

Last edited by JAJ; Jun 7th 2005 at 2:23 am.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Originally Posted by caz41
Welcome to Mount Eliza we have been here 6 months, can't help with the mushrooms though.

Caz
Yeah, Mt Eliza's great.

As for porcini mushrooms, well it was never that important at first. What with the import restrictions it started off with me just wondering whether one could get them, after all, they are nice. So when I was in a supermarket I would always check. I'd just about concluded that one couldn't get them when The Sunday Age published a porcini chicken recipe......and now the search is taking on a quest-like aura. Maybe there is a secret code locked inside The Sunday Age and I have to write a book about it called The Porcini Code. Now where's a good publisher in Mt Eliza?

Neil
Old Jun 7th 2005, 2:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Some background. I’m married to a non-Brit and have a three year old daughter. We’ve had our visas for nearly two years, and had done a validation/recon trip about a year ago so knew our target suburb.
By the way if your wife meant to apply for British citizenship before leaving the UK, it may not be too late to do so provided she acts immediately (it will make things a lot easier for any future return to the UK). What's her current nationality?

I also tried to open up a HSBC account by walking into a branch, but fell foul of the address thing. They needed written evidence from an official source.
As a new migrant you should be able to open a bank account with only a passport as proof of ID, in the first few weeks.

Tax File Number
Can only get this online, and when in the country. You need your passport number with you and an Australian address. It took to the ATO about 10 days to send through my TFN.
Are you sure you can't get one by going to an ATO office?

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Jun 7th 2005 at 2:32 am.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wongstonn

Help
Where can I buy porcini mushrooms in the CBD or SE?

Neil
You should be able to get them at Coles or safeway...unless you are looking specifically for organic
Old Jun 7th 2005, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I thought I had seen dried porcini mushrooms in Coles, with the pasta sauces.

Katie
Old Jun 7th 2005, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
You should be able to get them at Coles or safeway...unless you are looking specifically for organic
The food hall at David Jones and Myer in the CBD should have them stocked as well. Failing that, try Prahran Market next time you're in the Chapel Street area. Oh, you're not a woman, never mind Chapel Street!

Mrs JTL
Old Jun 7th 2005, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Have you tried Queen Vic Market for your mushrooms? If you can't get them there, then you probably can't get them at all

Regards
Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting post, those 1st impressions are the most important, as I'm finding with this holiday I'm taking in the UK after 16 years.

Only thing I find strange is the bank account issue, How can the commonwealth bank give you a worse credit rating than my oldest daughter, who has never worked more than a week steadily in her life. The banks keep trying to give her a 5,000 dollar limit.

Only other point i can raise In UK v aussie, is the vast difference in the TV service, all I can say about the UK sky box service is 'wow' !! Got everything innit !!

Missing the greenery yet ?
Old Jun 7th 2005, 7:57 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Neil,

This must be one of the bests posts I've seen on here.

Just what a newly arriving pom needs to know!!!

(we're hoping to head for Melbourne (Mornington/Mount Eliza area).

Thanks again

D D

Last edited by JAJ; Jun 7th 2005 at 11:32 am.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:39 am
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Talking Re: rambling thoughts on finally being in Melbourne.

Fab, fab, fab.... this is brilliant - just hope I'm going to be able to access all the info once I arrive... any cyber cafes in Mt Eliza/Frankston??? Anything else you feel like adding as the days/weeks go on would be really good - I feel a little like Odie from Garfield... so very eager and thrilled with any titbit!!

Hope things continue to delight and that the frustrations are only little ones.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Sebastian will become famous soon enough

fantastic posting.

Selfless....

Hope i could use this info it when it's my time.

Thank you

Sebastian
Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Neil,

Fantastic post as others have said.

Melb'n is a great city and I hope you'll all have a wonderful life there. Take care.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 1:59 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

And he still likes Melbourne even after a couple of beers with yours truly.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 2:07 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Neil,

This must be one of the bests posts I've seen on here.

Just what a newly arriving pom needs to know!!!

(we're hoping to head for Melbourne (Mornington/Mount Eliza area).

Thanks again

D D
I agree, good useful info for those of us heading elsewhere too. Sent you some k

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.