Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Railway Vacancies (WA)

Railway Vacancies (WA)

Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Jonny_C23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Railway Vacancies (WA)

Hello all, new member here looking to get some advice.

I've been actively looking to move over to Oz, in particular Perth or extended areas of WA. My background is Pway with experience in Project Engineering, Project Management and Compliance Management. Ideally I want to get back into Project Engineering and was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on up coming projects or any companies that a looking to recruit?

I've submitted my CV to several recruitment agencies and online websites but would also like to go direct to employers.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Jonny
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Railway Vacancies (WA)

Originally Posted by Jonny_C23
Hello all, new member here looking to get some advice.

I've been actively looking to move over to Oz, in particular Perth or extended areas of WA. My background is Pway with experience in Project Engineering, Project Management and Compliance Management. Ideally I want to get back into Project Engineering and was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on up coming projects or any companies that a looking to recruit?

I've submitted my CV to several recruitment agencies and online websites but would also like to go direct to employers.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Jonny

My company are expanding pretty quickly into the rail sector here. We have just won a major project here in South Australia, and I know we are looking for engineers for that project. Also there are quite a few projects being targeted in Victoria over the coming months/years. Maybe send in your CV? see if you hear back from them.

I don't know what the job situation is like in WA with our company, not really heard anything from them so am assuming there's nothing coming up at present. But if they are successful on the project here (can't see why they wouldn't be), then we are going to be in a very strong position going forwards.

If you want any more info let me know
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that Wendy, it does seem like there is lots coming up Nationwide over there. Like I say Perth is my main option, mainly because I have friends who are already there, and since i'd be travelling alone, the more people I know there, the easier it would be to settle. However, if I don't find anything that suits me in WA I am not against the idea of looking elsewhere, anything to escape the rainy, cold UK night shifts and weekends ha ha.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonny_C23
Thanks for that Wendy, it does seem like there is lots coming up Nationwide over there. Like I say Perth is my main option, mainly because I have friends who are already there, and since i'd be travelling alone, the more people I know there, the easier it would be to settle. However, if I don't find anything that suits me in WA I am not against the idea of looking elsewhere, anything to escape the rainy, cold UK night shifts and weekends ha ha.
Plenty of weekends and nights here too unfortunately. But at least some of the time it's at least a warm night or weekend

I'll keep my eyes open for rail jobs out that way for you.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:17 am
Just Joined

I don't mind the nights and weekends one bit, its the dull, rainy part ha ha

Thanks for your help Wendy
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

pbmufc is an unknown quantity at this point

Jonny

I too am a Railway Engineer who, both lives in York and is actively looking emigrate (with my wife and two kids) to Perth, WA.

Who do you currently work for? - I work for a small(ish) contractor based in Doncaster called Trackwork.

How are you getting on with your job search? - I'm struggling with mine to be honest as I can't seem to find any big contractors (ie. the Australian equivilent to a Balfour Beatty or Babcock etc) to contact regarding job vacancies. All I've been able to do so far is send my CV to a load of recruitment agencies. I think, the fact that I've only got an HNC is going to make it harder for me to get over.

Can you recommend any recruitment agencies or companies you've come across? - If I find anything that I think will suit you I'll get in touch. The only companies I've found so far are; Laing O'Rouke and Fortescue, if you haven't already, they're definately worth a look as they both have a few vacancies, right across Oz.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Geraldton, WA (coastal town on the coast 5hrs from Perth) will likely need more rail workers in the future.

They are upgrading and think it said adding new part of the rail link for the mines and new Geraldton port.
Boom area in the next few years due to new port.

However this is reflected by the stupid price of houses in the area.

Gems
Old Mar 21st 2011, 12:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
Geraldton, WA (coastal town on the coast 5hrs from Perth) will likely need more rail workers in the future.

They are upgrading and think it said adding new part of the rail link for the mines and new Geraldton port.
Boom area in the next few years due to new port.

However this is reflected by the stupid price of houses in the area.

Gems
If it goes ahead. Costs for Oakajee have blown out to over $6b and the investors are getting cold feet. I think it will get up eventually as it's backed by the WA and Federal governments but will take a lot longer than originally planned.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pbmufc
Jonny

I too am a Railway Engineer who, both lives in York and is actively looking emigrate (with my wife and two kids) to Perth, WA.

Who do you currently work for? - I work for a small(ish) contractor based in Doncaster called Trackwork.

How are you getting on with your job search? - I'm struggling with mine to be honest as I can't seem to find any big contractors (ie. the Australian equivilent to a Balfour Beatty or Babcock etc) to contact regarding job vacancies. All I've been able to do so far is send my CV to a load of recruitment agencies. I think, the fact that I've only got an HNC is going to make it harder for me to get over.

Can you recommend any recruitment agencies or companies you've come across? - If I find anything that I think will suit you I'll get in touch. The only companies I've found so far are; Laing O'Rouke and Fortescue, if you haven't already, they're definately worth a look as they both have a few vacancies, right across Oz.
I have 16 years experience in UK rail industry, 6 years in design with Scott wilson Railways, 6 years in construction with Carillion Rail and 4 years with Network Rail, I also only have a HNC. I arrived in Brisbane 3 weeks ago and the amount of upcoming work is unbelievable, don't know how set you are on Perth, but there will be plenty of demand in QLD.

My advice would be to register on www.railwaypeople.com, set up an automated search that emails you when vacancies come up and apply for as many as possible. I got my job through Morson who I believe have several vacancies up just now, they also got me an interview with Westnet in Perth, but the thought of spending time regularly in places like Kalgoorlie and Geraldton put me right off that side of Australia.

Try Thiess, they are one of the biggest rail construction companies, the next two biggest are Leightons and John Holland I think.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bingobob777
I have 16 years experience in UK rail industry, 6 years in design with Scott wilson Railways, 6 years in construction with Carillion Rail and 4 years with Network Rail, I also only have a HNC. I arrived in Brisbane 3 weeks ago and the amount of upcoming work is unbelievable, don't know how set you are on Perth, but there will be plenty of demand in QLD.

My advice would be to register on www.railwaypeople.com, set up an automated search that emails you when vacancies come up and apply for as many as possible. I got my job through Morson who I believe have several vacancies up just now, they also got me an interview with Westnet in Perth, but the thought of spending time regularly in places like Kalgoorlie and Geraldton put me right off that side of Australia.

Try Thiess, they are one of the biggest rail construction companies, the next two biggest are Leightons and John Holland I think.
I currently work in Doncaster for Network Rail 'pbmufc' and yes i've heard of Trackwork.

I went through Morson's and was interviewed by Westnet too, i had a couple of interviews and a medical but wasn't offered a job. I have since then sent my CV to loads of places, think i've applied for 25+ vacancies.

I was over in Perth a fortnight ago looking around the sites of BHP and am hoping to hear something back from them this week.

I would agree with Bob, submit your CV to online recruitment sites and do Googles searches for jobs, thats what i did.