Rail jobs

Old Jun 26th 2013, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

paddym is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rail jobs

Hi,

I am currently on the lookout for a job within the rail industry in Australia that would provide a 457 visa also.

I am a senior engineer within network rails track geometry design department.

Does anyone know where I should be looking as I am not having much luck at present.

Cheers folks
Old Jun 27th 2013, 12:32 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rail jobs

Originally Posted by paddym
Hi,

I am currently on the lookout for a job within the rail industry in Australia that would provide a 457 visa also.

I am a senior engineer within network rails track geometry design department.

Does anyone know where I should be looking as I am not having much luck at present.

Cheers folks
Hi paddym,

Is this the sort of thing you're looking for - http://www.seek.com.au/job/24711384

I searched engineering, all Australia, using keywords rail and 457 on seek. Total in the UK advertise some jobs from Australia as well. Sorry, not a lot of help I know, but hopefully someone else will be along with some more suggestions soon
Old Jun 27th 2013, 5:14 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

try www.railcareers.net.au and www.artc.com.au as well as some of the main contractors such as John Holland Rail, Leightons, Coleman Rail, Downer etc.
a consortium inc Theiss/John Holland has just won the first part of the North West rail link in Sydney

Good luck!
Old Jun 27th 2013, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Thank you, I'll have a look into these and see what comes of it and if anybody else has any more advice I would really appreciate it.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 6:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, I'll have a look into these and see what comes of it and if anybody else has any more advice I would really appreciate it.
Are you not eligible for an independent visa?....probably a much better option.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

I'm not sure, what are the requirements?

Is it not a huge risk going on an independent visa and then looking for work?
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

No more risk than going on a sponsored visa and being tied to an employer.
Work sponsored visas are usually 457s and are temporary

Look here: www.immi.gov.au
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:17 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

If you are successful in gaining an independent visa, you do not have to move immediately. You can carry on living and working in the UK (or whatever country you are in) whilst trying to find a job in Australia. Any visa will have a first entry date within 12 months of issue to validate the visa, and if you are not ready to move, you have a holiday and go home. You would then have the remainder of 5 years from date of issue to migrate. However, even with a permanent visa, there is no guarantee that you will find a job whilst not in the country. The process is not cheap tho, with the cost of skills assessment, IELTS if needed, visa application costs, and medicals / police checks.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey mate, I came over with Leightons 5 1/2 years ago, have worked for John Hollands, Laings, Calibre and Ansaldo since, loads of work here at the mo, I'm over West on the mines at the moment, and there's always someone asking if you want to leave. I'm a points fitter/construction manager, and whilst it's a little tricky fitting the PR requirements, there's always someone willing to sponsor a 457. Leightons own John Holland and Theiss, so send your CV to one of em and it'll get to the other 2. I've had 2 stints at Ansaldo now and they're my favourite employers just ahead of JH. For what it's worth I absolutely hated Leightons. If you need any contacts I'm sure I can help out, what part of the UK you working in? I was South East, Eurotunnel/HS1

Never know we may have crossed paths
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

I will look into the visa costs etc and check what the requirements etc are, in my mind it seems a little better having the 457 and having a company ell with relocation etc but maybe that's just asking for too much.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Hey mate, I came over with Leightons 5 1/2 years ago, have worked for John Hollands, Laings, Calibre and Ansaldo since, loads of work here at the mo, I'm over West on the mines at the moment, and there's always someone asking if you want to leave. I'm a points fitter/construction manager, and whilst it's a little tricky fitting the PR requirements, there's always someone willing to sponsor a 457. Leightons own John Holland and Theiss, so send your CV to one of em and it'll get to the other 2. I've had 2 stints at Ansaldo now and they're my favourite employers just ahead of JH. For what it's worth I absolutely hated Leightons. If you need any contacts I'm sure I can help out, what part of the UK you working in? I was South East, Eurotunnel/HS1

Never know we may have crossed paths
Hey pal, have you enjoyed your time out there and would you recommend the move?

I work on the west coast mainline in scotland mate.

If you could maybe mail me some people to get in touch with that would be great mate.

Cheers
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

I will look into the visa costs etc and check what the requirements etc are, in my mind it seems a little better having the 457 and having a company ell with relocation etc but maybe that's just asking for too much.
On the up side the 457 worked well with me and a host of other poms at the time, but on the down side aload of testers in Newcastle NSW have just been laid off and sent back to UK. It's frought with danger if you've not got the right company, but can be a godsend.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
On the up side the 457 worked well with me and a host of other poms at the time, but on the down side aload of testers in Newcastle NSW have just been laid off and sent back to UK. It's frought with danger if you've not got the right company, but can be a godsend.
Yeah I was already thinking that. You would really need to vet the company to check how secure they are before taking the plunge.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey pal, have you enjoyed your time out there and would you recommend the move?

I work on the west coast mainline in scotland mate.

If you could maybe mail me some people to get in touch with that would be great mate.

Cheers
Paddy, I left Network Rail in Glasgow in Feb 2011 and moved to Brisbane. Unfortunately the rail market in QLD and WA took a real dive late 2012. I left and came back to the UK, more money and more work. My employer and plenty other consultants in Brisbane and Perth ditched most if not all there 457 Visa holders.

Currently plenty of rail work in the Middle East and Asia.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Paddy, I left Network Rail in Glasgow in Feb 2011 and moved to Brisbane. Unfortunately the rail market in QLD and WA took a real dive late 2012. I left and came back to the UK, more money and more work. My employer and plenty other consultants in Brisbane and Perth ditched most if not all there 457 Visa holders.

Currently plenty of rail work in the Middle East and Asia.
Hello mate,

Sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience out there. This is what kind of worries me about ditching a secure job and taking a risk especially when I hear of stories like yours.

I am open to having a go in the Middle East and Asia too but that would really be for monetary reasons more than quality of life which is why iv been looking into Australia.

Have tested the water with regards to Middle East and Asia but not had any sort of replies so its all hard to come by it seems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.