Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rail Industry in Australia

Rail Industry in Australia

Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rail Industry in Australia

Hi all,

does anyone on the board work in or have experience of the Australian rail industry?

looks like I'm going to be offered a job with a rail consultant based in Brisbane and I'm trying to establish whether it's the right move or not.

I keep being told about these billion dollar contacts that are due to start, cross river rail and Gold Coast Light rail in particular. But how certain is it these are all going to happen? Are all the infrastructure projects being proposed in Australia totally dependent on income from selling commodities to the Chinese? If there was a global downturn to the extent some predict what would happen to the Austalian economy?

Just how bad is the shortage of experienced construction engineers over there?
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Monkey_boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rail Industry in Australia

Hi there,

I'm due to start my new job with KBR in Melbourne this September. I had an interview with a rail consultant to work in Melbourne too. Unfortunately the rail consultant couldn't get their job offer out before my offer from KBR expired. It's a shame, because I would have probably chosen <snip> based on how well I got on with them during the interviews (not exactly much to base a decision on I know).

Platform extensions for new 12 car trains, of which orders have been 'postponed', seems to be the latest trend in UK railway investment projects.

I couldn't comment on whether all the large projects in Australia are going to get off the ground, but I sincerely hope so

I'd like to think Australia's projects will keep me busy until HS2 kicks off in the UK (well... that's if HS2 happens). Perhaps I will decide to stay in Oz... who knows?! I think the opportunity to work in a foreign country doing what I love is too good to pass up

Congratulations on the job offer!

Jez

Last edited by Sue; Aug 23rd 2010 at 6:37 pm. Reason: name of company removed for privacy
Old Aug 17th 2010, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Mate, although I hope we're not competing for the same job on HS2 in 4 years, that's my plan as well
Old Aug 17th 2010, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Monkey_boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Great minds and all that

A work colleague joined a rail consultant in Sydney a few weeks ago. I must drop him an email to see how he's getting on.

Let us know whether you decide to go for it or not