Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Raging Teenagers

Raging Teenagers

Old Mar 8th 2005, 9:01 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Raging Teenagers

Anyone else have this problem??? My teenager (almost 15) is in such a bloody foul mood this evening....chucking stuff round his room...banging, crashing & yelling periodically....

This rage is because he's had to spend most of his evening doing maths homework...which he hates....and he's struggling with just one question. But he's sooooo stubborn he won't tell his teacher he's finding it hard...NO he'd rather trash the place in a temper and give me a right old tongue lashing..

He's also adopted the attitude of 'what's the point???' As we're almost on our way he feels his education here is a waste of time as it'll be different in oz. Both me and my other half have tried telling him that every day of his schooling is vital...more so now than ever as he'll be missing a few weeks school when we first get over. But being a teenager means that everything your parents say must be crap.

Before you ask...no I can't help him with it as his maths went way beyond my dumb brain years ago...

Anyone else experiencing the full joys of teenagers???

Petra
Old Mar 8th 2005, 9:05 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Raging Teenagers

Originally Posted by artep
Anyone else have this problem??? My teenager (almost 15) is in such a bloody foul mood this evening....chucking stuff round his room...banging, crashing & yelling periodically....

This rage is because he's had to spend most of his evening doing maths homework...which he hates....and he's struggling with just one question. But he's sooooo stubborn he won't tell his teacher he's finding it hard...NO he'd rather trash the place in a temper and give me a right old tongue lashing..

He's also adopted the attitude of 'what's the point???' As we're almost on our way he feels his education here is a waste of time as it'll be different in oz. Both me and my other half have tried telling him that every day of his schooling is vital...more so now than ever as he'll be missing a few weeks school when we first get over. But being a teenager means that everything your parents say must be crap.

Before you ask...no I can't help him with it as his maths went way beyond my dumb brain years ago...

Petra

Not yet but we've got it all to come......... :scared:

And 3 GIRLS.......... even more :scared:

You'll be best friends again soon - It's just a phase (she said confidently!)

Binbird
Old Mar 8th 2005, 9:10 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binbird
Not yet but we've got it all to come......... :scared:

And 3 GIRLS.......... even more :scared:

You'll be best friends again soon - It's just a phase (she said confidently!)

Binbird
eek!!! 3 girls!!!!!!!! My 2 eldest are boys....and I have a 9 year old girl who thinks she's 27..

All is quiet above my head at the mo....I reckon its best to leave him to it when he's in such a mood. Apart from anything else he's a 6ft tall, 11 stone lump of hormones...best to keep my distance!!!!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Welcome to the club Petra....just thought I would let you know he will get worse before he gets better!!!
We are 'just turning the corner' with Toby, he is now almost 18 and mostly has 'chilled' out.
However Jake is approaching 14, and although much, much calmer and easier going than his brother, he has recently got a bit on the cocky side. ime i put a stop to that!!!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like we're all going thru the 'kevin and perry' stage' spots an all!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by artep

Petra
Been there done that & then the second one came around & wrecked my darn T-shirt!

I've got one 17 yo, one 15 yo & one 13 yo. All boys. :scared:

You've got my sympathy. This is a hard time and even worse when you are immigrating. I almost put my lot up for adoption when we were going through the process.

Have to say though that I don't care much for the amount of homework the children seem to get nowadays. If the school can't teach them in 6 hours then they should be fired! My 15yo comes home from school at 4pm, eats, chills for about 15 mins and then hits the books. The school is of the opinion that a child his age should spent 3 hours per day at study - I say BOLLOCKS! When must the child eat and play? I often write him notes telling his teachers that his homework was too much & that I told him not to do it as he has to have a life too. They take me in their stride and don't bother the boys if they have a note from me.

My 17yo is the one that gives me the most lip. He reckons he's all grown up & since he's taller than me too he gets a little cheeky at times. Many a time I've had to remind him that I still have the weight advantage!

Just love them and set firm groundrules, that's all you can do. Eventually they do turn into decent human beings - that's the hope that keeps me going....
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

hi petra,yes my daughter is excactly the same,if she finds something a bit difficult instead of just asking she throw a wobbly,and we ve told her all the same things as you have,but she s really not intersted in school at all.To be honest she is 17 now and ive given up trying to make her,it only makes all of you stressed,i know it certainly did me,and you dont win anyway,my atitude now is once she finds something she enjoys she will go for it,and she does,if shes interested in a subject she will sit at it for hours,but if she s not she just wont do it,and i cant make her.
She has a job at weekends and in the holidays so its not that she bone idle,shes just got to be intersted inwhat shes doing,and i think we can all relate to that.

tracey
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:35 am
....is FAB

Thanks for all your encoraging replies!!!

This morning he was totally back to normal....if there is such a thing!! He's normally a really great kid, very grown up for his age and a logical, sensible thinker. BUT just occasionally he 'loses the plot' completely....I think sometimes things just get on top of him....happens to us all. I just guess his way of dealing with things is to scream,shout and throw his stuff..

Think out of my 3 kids, my middle one is the one who'll cause me the most trouble....he's 12 and has a real fiery belly to him!!!!! He's what my dad diplomatically calls 'passionate' He's a very emotional boy....extremely loving but on the flipside can be an arrogant little sh*t...
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

Welcome to the club
Becci (middle just 18) invented middle child syndrome is registered at College but hates every minute of it If I ask her how its going she tells me its none of my business as she is an independant adult now !!(living at home off us of coarse) then acuses me in the next breath of not being interested and not caring

said we cant abandon the cats then when I told her we would take them with us she said its a waste of money as the cost would get her 2 trips "home" feels we are dragging her to the back of beyond bu t when I suggested we wont go said its not fair etc etc etc
just take a deep breath and accept I will never win
she melts my heart though dont they always and I know with certainty I couldnt be permanatly on the other side of the world from them
good luck to ebveryone with errant teenagers do you remember when thwy were babies and having temper tantrums people said to me it gets worse you know i thought not possible
Big fat wrong that was !!
mary