Radison - Port Douglas

Radison - Port Douglas

Old Jun 29th 2005, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

of2oz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Radison - Port Douglas

Originally Posted by JP1
Hi,

Has anyone stayed in the Radison Hotel in Port Douglas. What was it like and are there better places for the same price there?

Also, does anyone know of any 2 or 3 day boating excursions that can be done near Port Douglas or Cairns for between $300-$500 per person? We would want our own room with an ensuite (don't fancy sharing!!)

Many thanks.
Hi
We have booked for a few days in the Rydges in August as we are 3 adults, 2 children and they have 3 bed villas and were really reasonable in price.
They are a little way out of port douglas about 4km but we will hire a car so should be ok. There are some lovely appartments/ villas - see the website link
http://www.portdouglasinfo.com/accom...20Village/612/
I fancied the Cayman villas - they look fantastic, but they couldnt accomodate us. (lucky really cause I saved $800)
The site also has some excellent boat/reef trips and other types of excursions.

We fancy a trip to the reef but not to scuba dive, more snorkelling or semi-submersible trip (will have the mother in law with us) - I have looked and fancy the trip to green island with big cat tours - http://www.bigcat-cruises.com.au/fullday.html
The trips go from palm cove or cairns.

If you prefer a brochure Sunlover Holidays do a Queensland brochure which details most accomodation and trips as listed above.
Hope this is helpful.

Paula
Old Jun 29th 2005, 12:47 pm
JP1
Forum Regular

JP1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would a week in Port Douglas be too much and, if so, is it a good idea to spend some time in Cairns and, say, Daintree? We want a relaxing beech holiday but want to see a few new things too!

How do I get hold of the Entertainment Book that can be used in relation to the Breakfree Resorts?
Old Jun 29th 2005, 12:51 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Don't know what kind of budget you have but this place is lovely http://www.peninsulahotel.com.au/index.htm we spent a week in Port Douglas last year, we hired a car in Cairns and drove up so we could drive to The Daintree and other places. Once you have a couple of days of the beach some shopping some sight seeing a few boat trips it soon flys by! Would definitly recomend Quiksilver for the Barrier Reef they are great.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

of2oz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JP1
Would a week in Port Douglas be too much and, if so, is it a good idea to spend some time in Cairns and, say, Daintree? We want a relaxing beech holiday but want to see a few new things too!

How do I get hold of the Entertainment Book that can be used in relation to the Breakfree Resorts?
I have an entertainment book and tried getting discount but truthfully they say 50% off the rack rate and its often cheper via the internet. I've tried a couple of hotels and its not been cheaper. However I do find it usefl for other trips/video rental/ local attractions and resteraunts and have already recouped my $60.
The site is www.entertainmentbook.com.au
Paula
Old Jun 30th 2005, 12:47 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JP1

A full week is a fair amount of time in PD, depends how much you want to do I guess, we stayed a couple of days in Cairns, 4 days in Palm Cove and 4 days in PD.
Next time I would skip the time in Cairns and add it into the time at Palm Cove.
There's not much to do in Cairns itself in the daytime, but it was good for bars/restaurants in the evening. The accomodation is dearer than PC or PD so id stay in PC and get a bus down (onlyabout 20mins) in the afternoon a couple of times and spend the night there.
If you want a beach holiday then PD doesnt have the greatest of beaches, PC is nicer (IMO)

You can check out the entertainment section by going to www.breakfree.com.au/entertainment (you supposedly need the card when you checkin, but we never had to show ours, and had paid in full online about a month before we stayed)
I've just checked the book itself and the offer doesnt look as good as last year, it used to be a straight 15% off the best rate. So was better than you'd find elsewhere on the internet.
Im not so sure now, you'll have to do some checking no various sites and see how they compare.
Regardless it's still excellent value for money.
They were doing stay 7 nights and you get another free 7 nights for the following year, might be worth considering.
Steve