Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Radio stations in Australia

Radio stations in Australia

Old Jun 15th 2011, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

hwilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Radio stations in Australia

Australia has a lot going for it, but its radio stations are not the best, with the same tracks being played over and over again.
I have taken to tuning in to UK stations live using my iPhone, and this has the added benefit of being able to pause, or record, but I would like a more permanent, better-sounding solution. Does anyone know if Digital radios bought here can be used to tune in to, and play UK stations?
Old Jun 15th 2011, 11:08 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Radio stations in Australia

Originally Posted by hwilson
Australia has a lot going for it, but its radio stations are not the best, with the same tracks being played over and over again.
I have taken to tuning in to UK stations live using my iPhone, and this has the added benefit of being able to pause, or record, but I would like a more permanent, better-sounding solution. Does anyone know if Digital radios bought here can be used to tune in to, and play UK stations?
I use i-tunes to listen to music, either mp3 or live radio. (there are hundreds of stations on i-tunes)
I then stream the music to an Apple Airport express which is linked to a hi-fi and numerous speakers. That way the music is played with good sound quality and I can control what is played with the Remote app on the ipod touch.

http://www.apple.com/au/airportexpress/

http://www.apple.com/au/airportexpress/setup.html
Old Jun 15th 2011, 2:39 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hwilson
A digital (DAB) radio is only going to pick-up local digital signals. What you need is a system that's connected to the internet to access hundreds of radio stations that stream live over the internet.

You could do this with a PC, but a more satisfactory solution is to get a dedicated media player. I have a Sonos zone player which not only lets you listen to radio stations from all over the world, but it also streams your own music from your network, and then for $10 a month you can also subscribe to the Rhapsody music service to listen to virtually any song you can think of. All controlled via your iphone/itouch or android phone, and with the added ability to create and control multiple zones in your house all wirelessly playing something different or all synced together for a mega party. Has been the best system around for some time now, and keeps on getting better.

www.sonos.com
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kalenge
A digital (DAB) radio is only going to pick-up local digital signals. What you need is a system that's connected to the internet to access hundreds of radio stations that stream live over the internet.

You could do this with a PC, but a more satisfactory solution is to get a dedicated media player. I have a Sonos zone player which not only lets you listen to radio stations from all over the world, but it also streams your own music from your network, and then for $10 a month you can also subscribe to the Rhapsody music service to listen to virtually any song you can think of. All controlled via your iphone/itouch or android phone, and with the added ability to create and control multiple zones in your house all wirelessly playing something different or all synced together for a mega party. Has been the best system around for some time now, and keeps on getting better.

www.sonos.com
Dab is just local stations. I'm in Brisbane and find the digital stations just as bad. I have an Internet radio. It's a bit like the radio app on iTunes but it's a radio type thingy. It works through my wifi. You can listen to any radio station anywhere in the world. I got mine off eBay for about fifty bucks
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sormesher
Dab is just local stations. I'm in Brisbane and find the digital stations just as bad.
Lucky you. Down here in the Illawarra we haven't even got any digital stations !