Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

RACQ any experience good or bad

RACQ any experience good or bad

Old Sep 27th 2012, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute
Default RACQ any experience good or bad

just bought an oldish car, six years old will be driving up and down the coast to see friends and family. just worried if i break down on a ouback road what i will do who do call. who do i call to get a toe, who does everyone use, what sort of cover would you advise, are they worth the cost. any feed back wud be great. thanks
Old Sep 27th 2012, 10:00 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RACW any experience good or bad

No experience of RACW, but the RACQ has proved its worth to us. If you are going bush get the Ultimate or Ultra cover as the standard cover usually has a limit on kms for recovery. We got our car brought back from Mt Isa to Brisbane plus bus fares for us (we took the cash equivalent and put it towards the air fares). That was Ultra, we now have Ultimate to cover the camper trailer as well!
All the motoring organisations are linked, so RACW should be similar.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RACW any experience good or bad

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
No experience of RACW, but the RACQ has proved its worth to us. If you are going bush get the Ultimate or Ultra cover as the standard cover usually has a limit on kms for recovery. We got our car brought back from Mt Isa to Brisbane plus bus fares for us (we took the cash equivalent and put it towards the air fares). That was Ultra, we now have Ultimate to cover the camper trailer as well!
All the motoring organisations are linked, so RACW should be similar.
RACQ thats what i meant sorry can any mod change my title to RACQ
btw thanks for the help
Old Sep 27th 2012, 11:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RACQ any experience good or bad

Originally Posted by sign
RACQ thats what i meant sorry can any mod change my title to RACQ
btw thanks for the help
Sorted
Old Sep 28th 2012, 1:28 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

We had a good experience with RACQ.

Had a car with a dead battery and we were stuck nowhere near anywhere selling car batteries. I wasnt 100% sure it was battery failure anyway.

RACQ showed up and sold me a slightly overpriced battery. I knew it was overpriced, but at that point the convenience of getting going was important and the over-pricing wasnt so severe....

Fast-forward 2 years and the car battery died again - this time at home. The wife called RACQ, who came, took a look determined that battery was still under warranty, ran a few tests then gave us a new battery for no cost.

All happy here.

(But seriously why the hell don't car batteries last any longer than 2 years? - I've had the same problem with motorcycle batteries too - 2 years tops and then they die.....)
Old Sep 28th 2012, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Like many things in Oz, there is little competition. i.e. RACQ for QLD, NRMA for NSW etc...not like UK with AA, RAC, Green Flag etc all after your business.

I feel it is good security to have the NRMA max cover for our campervan (that is the other thing here, vehicle is covered, not the driver).

Never had to use it, but memembership does often give partner discounts - I escpecially use NRMA's repco 10% discount (and 20% some weekends).
Old Sep 28th 2012, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
(But seriously why the hell don't car batteries last any longer than 2 years? - I've had the same problem with motorcycle batteries too - 2 years tops and then they die.....)
Do you fill the battery water up regularly? - evaporates quick in Oz.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 2:02 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

The RACQ have been good to us, we even have the private number of the 'local' guy just in case we need help with getting the MG back and running (currently de-registered) , he's a fan of the classics.

There are discount opportunities for various things too.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 2:45 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger

I feel it is good security to have the NRMA max cover for our campervan (that is the other thing here, vehicle is covered, not the driver
Not true - my wife is the member in our family and the cover is for any vehicle she is in. The recovery from Mt Isa was in the Jeep which is not listed on the membership.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 3:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Battery on my Navara lasted 5 years
Old Sep 28th 2012, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Not true - my wife is the member in our family and the cover is for any vehicle she is in. The recovery from Mt Isa was in the Jeep which is not listed on the membership.
OK may be not for RACQ. NRMA at least when I checked again last November was vehicle only.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Plus Care 135 dolars pluss 33 dolars joining fee reckon that is the one which will do me thanks for all the help
Old Sep 28th 2012, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

With 2nd hand cars, almost pays for itself.

Last year I had to stuff around with a car to get it on the road - various garages. I also had to get to work.

As I had total care, I was able to get myself and the car shifted around from home to Melbourne CBD (50km+) work, and garages, just about every day for a week - no questions asked.

The tow truck pulled up - and we were off and to our next location.