Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is racism still a big problem

Is racism still a big problem

Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:39 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is racism still a big problem

I'm sorry, but I tend to agree with what your friend has said.....believe it or not he is trying to help you .....although it does sound like he's a bit bitter about his own experiences I know it is somewhat scary to hear these viewpoints when you have given your all to getting a new life in Australia, but please take them on board.

Hopefully you will arrive here and land on your feet as most do. It's a very subjective matter and alot of it will depend on where you came from (geographically) and what your bonds are like with family and friends and where you are in life (single, got kids etc)...there are so many aspects to emigrating and alot of them will not hit you until you are here and actually 'doing it' for real.

As for the Pom hating....from my experiences that's not true, but I've never really felt as if I 'fit' here either, you can't possibly make up for the differences in the cultural side of your upbringing and slot right in...straight away anyhow,you will always stand out somewhat. Australians are rather accepting on the whole, just so long as don't put down Australia or start any sentence with 'Back in the U.K we used to.......' in a critical way

It took me approx 2 years to feel like I was anywhere like 'at home' here and I can agree with what your friend has said but also see many positives about life in Australia.

Try posting this in the 'Moving back to the U.K' and you will undoubtedly get an entirely different viewpoint from the rather defensive ones on here. Don't take your rose tinted sunnies off completely, but just slide them up into your hair occassionally....forewarned is forearmed and all that.

Jan (in Australia)
Old Dec 7th 2007, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

I don't know why you are calling it "Racism" if you are caucasian or asian then you are the same race as most Australians.

Patriotism may be a better word for it.

Most Aussies are British descendants so I don't 'get' this Pom Bashing thing.
I love Poms! Except my MIL she's one of the whinging ones
Old Dec 7th 2007, 2:04 am
Banned

LIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to all

I'm an Aussie and I have heaps of British friends and one British employee. There is no differerence between a Brit and an Aussie except that the Brits 'speak betta than 'Strayans'!
Liana
Old Dec 7th 2007, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

cabaj will become famous soon enoughcabaj will become famous soon enough

I tend to agree with Jan3kids. I strongly suggest that you take into account *all* comments/advice (whether positive or negative) before migrating. Weigh up the advice, gauge how it may affect you, and add it (or not) to your pro's/con's list. I think that to assume your friend is talking garbage/from bitterness/'cause thing didn't work out here is short-sighted. He has been here, done it and that's his view. Question his reasoning.

We had a lot of advice from friends and colleagues before we left the UK. Some had lived in Aus, some had done business, some had been on holiday, others simply had a view. A lot of it was negative. Most we ignored simply because one gets a little too focussed on the goal and so immersed in the whole migration whirlpool that your rationale becomes skewed. Some bits of advice still burn in my ears today!
Old Dec 7th 2007, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

kaz101 will become famous soon enoughkaz101 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wewantoz
Yesterday he was very negative about our prospected move to oz, he was saying it has no culture, they people have no intelligence the weather will get on our nerves being hot all the time, despite us loving warm weather, he went on to moan that the Australians think their shit don't stink and they are racist to us brits and hate us all
Maybe your friend was trying to help you (as others have suggested) and maybe he's just a little bitter since it didn't work out for him. I don't know. I can tell you about my experiences so far. We (myself & husband) arrived in South Australia in July 2007 so we've been here 5 months. The job hunting was slow for my husband and he's now a trainee car salesman. I was lucky in that I have an online business and I'm also an IT contractor (like Datamile - Hi Ian ) but I have contracts back in the UK although I'm in Oz. In South Australia it's a Mediteranean climate, although yesterday was hot We've have no trouble from the locals and I'm getting along with migrants and Aussies alike. My husband was told that there was someone who didn't like Poms at work but we haven't found out who that was and my husband is a Paddy any way

We love it here even though we have to pay the mortgage, pay bills, work etc. It's not like when you're here on holiday but there's no place I'd rather be right now. The only time we really compare things to the UK is in online forums and when my parents were over for a month.

Hope that helps,
Karen
Old Dec 7th 2007, 4:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I have recently met an old friend who lived in Australia for 3 years both in Perth and Brisbane,he was a diving instructor in the great barrier reef,and he said when he heard all the ozzie kids on the plane flight back to pom land they all shouted wow were actually here in the uk, he said that reinforced to him its home, and he ping ponged a while then stayed in the uk with his visa running out.He was a permanent resident but he didnt care to loose it through coming home.

Yesterday he was very negative about our prospected move to oz, he was saying it has no culture, they people have no intelligence the weather will get on our nerves being hot all the time, despite us loving warm weather, he went on to moan that the Australians think their shit don't stink and they are racist to us brits and hate us all....I said how the hell can you generalize and say all , he seems to think he has met many pom bashers.

My wife and I are so excited about the move she has been there before and loved it, but this old friend said yes she loved it because she didnt have the same old life there paying bills and working, holidays are different to real life, which I know Is true, however it has put a real dampener on everything, I told him how much money we have spent in this process and he said just push it aside and make life happy here , life can be what you make it where ever, however we want a better life a new start in a warmer climate different place same shit if you get my drift.

there are lots of reasons for us to move we have written all the pros and cons , why do people try and control others lives ,he kept saying he does not want to put me off just give me a reality check but all he pointed out was the negatives !! .

what are your views ??
Your friend is a tool. Ignore.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 4:44 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
Try posting this in the 'Moving back to the U.K' and you will undoubtedly get an entirely different viewpoint from the rather defensive ones on here.
very good point.

In fact, give it a go and see what happens...
Old Dec 7th 2007, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Your friend is a tool. Ignore.
I totally agree ..and I've been in Australia for nearly 36 years. Never, ever had any problems
Old Dec 7th 2007, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

wewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to allwewantoz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Teabag
I don't know why you are calling it "Racism" if you are caucasian or asian then you are the same race as most Australians.

Patriotism may be a better word for it.

Most Aussies are British descendants so I don't 'get' this Pom Bashing thing.
I love Poms! Except my MIL she's one of the whinging ones
Hi thanks guys for all your views , I simply used the words he did ....he kept saying ozzies are rasist they hate anyone not australian, I guess it is patriotism

He is not a close friend however someone I haven't seen in a while and just had a catch up, however it does seem he is pushing his failures on to us. Although he just spouted negativity and saying you have to change schools for the kids , get furniture shipped ship pets, when you can have the life you love here !!! what a spanner hey !! .someone lecturing me, that its too hot in oz ,and they are thinking about moving to srilanka which is hot.

I know people give you advise and sometimes it seems like they are having a go at you, but in reality they dont want you to make a mistake or fail, I can't work this one out he either doesnt want us to have the life he messed up due to jelousy that he never made it work but we may, or he simply is trying to give us his views of his experience in a caring way.?but to tell me to push aside all the money we have spent on this process and time and effort and just stay put ...............NO WAY HOSE

We will just take on board what everyone says and come over with an open mind, and give it a go, I have not really had any doubts until now because of him, it has been something we have discussed for the last 10 years and wiffe has been there too and loved it. everyones experience will be different, and hope ours is a good one and hope it turns out to be a place we like.If not we at least gave it a go, but wiffe is not intent on coming back to england !!! It would be a case of try somewhere else.

Last edited by wewantoz; Dec 7th 2007 at 2:09 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

holsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to all

Thanks wendy for your advise and help, My wife on her travels there said how helpful everyone came across and here they turn their nose up at you. There are good and bad people in all walks of life, but my friend made out that all ozzies are pom haters and that to me just made me think what about everything, will I be able to work with them or even get work.............what an ass he is hey !!
I suggest that the Ozzies WERE "pom haters" in this case as his attitude clearly "stunk" towards them:curse:. If you go in with an attitude like he did was he really that nieve to think they would react otherwise

Let me guess he is also a "meat and two veg" man
Old Dec 7th 2007, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

jimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nice

I must say as a South African who's been in London for the last 3 yrs i've worked with,played cricket with drank with etc many wonderful English friends.My dad's from Liverpool so I was fortunate to be allowed to live and work in this fine country.My only problem is that I miss the sun and the surf, S.A unfortunately doesnt provide me with many opportunities and my company has just arranged a transfer to Melbourne-got the contract this morning so im having a few beers and celebrating.Any where you go you will have some negative responses to your background and nationality, these people are generally upset with themselves and there failures in life so take it with a pinch of salt.They are probably disliked by there own countrymen because of there bad attitudes so just ignore them.Most of us are good solid people enjoying lifes riches and thats why we gravitate towards each other.
Have a great x/mas and a successful and healthy new year
Jimmi x
Old Dec 7th 2007, 7:18 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

he went on to moan that the Australians think their shit don't stink
problem being?

and they are racist to us brits and hate us all.
Bewarned some areas of Oz like other countries contain idiots. But majority treat you as they find you (with your comment below I think they would be inclined to warm up to you - just stop refering to "back in the UK")

My wife and I are so excited about the move she has been there before and loved it,
Keep this to the forefront of your minds

but this old friend said yes she loved it because she didnt have the same old life there paying bills and working, holidays are different to real life,
True its alot of hard work and a real emotional roller coaster no matter your budget or the amount of planning you have undertaken. But it does help to know everyone goes through it and its not just yourselves.

Every one has different experiences and these evolve around interactions with different people - it could be this guy had the misfortune to meet with the wrong people or perhaps it was destiny for the locals to meet him and help him decide.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if there is a website around for Eastern Europeans saying: " I'm thinking of going to UK but someone told me that they hate all Eastern Europeans- what do you think?"

I have met some who are derogatory to Brits, but one pissed angry Bogan went for me (5ft 4 female!) and called me "Fxxxxxx Kiwi"- so Kiwis cop the flak too. Most could not care less where you are from as long as you don't keep saying things are better in UK. That would bug me too!

Most Pom comments are relatively lighthearted- and I take them that way even though I am Welsh.

Some people come and settle here in minutes, (hubby) some take a couple of years (me) and some never settle. Come, try and keep your options open.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

where ever you go in life...on holiday/ emigrate etc you will always here stories from people, but you will never know what it is like till you go and experience it yourselve! Lived in Glasgow all my life, but if you asked someone from xy and z what Glasgow is like to live in there story would be different from mine! Do you get my drift?!

Debbie
Old Dec 8th 2007, 2:53 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

i have just been to a scouts bbq. in the sunshine in a park. there's an irish family who have been here for 18months..they are so happy..their little lad had just got his red cord and was so chuffed...his grandad had just arrived from Ireland and thinks it's so good to see his family so well settled..my mum and him where just saying how much more friendly and family orientated it is.....so it's nice to see how others perceive it all......
in Adelaide most of the population is first second and third generation UK and i often meet Australians who will say " you sound just like my gran". As i have said before it would be really annoying all the time if people keep saying UK is better all the time...it annoys me!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.