Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Racism in Queensland

Racism in Queensland

Old Aug 19th 2006, 5:53 pm
IS VICK THERE

foopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud of
Default Racism in Queensland

We are thinking of a move to Queensland (from UK). I have read in one or two books that there is a particular antipathy towards Japanese.

Since my OH is Japanese it may have some influence on our decision.

Is it the case in Queensland or is that what it was like in the past?

I would like to think that world has moved/is moving on and that being a decent, hard working individual is enough.

Any views greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by foopsy; Aug 19th 2006 at 5:55 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 8:55 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism in Queensland

Originally Posted by foopsy
We are thinking of a move to Queensland (from UK). I have read in one or two books that there is a particular antipathy towards Japanese.

I would like to think that world has moved/is moving on and that being a decent, hard working individual is enough.

Thank you.
As a Queenslander(hand on heart ), I would be interested to know when the books were that you read were published?
I will say there maybe a degree of anti-Japanese sentiment which is still carried by some of the older generations, particularly those who served in WW2. On a whole however, I think most of the generations born after WW2, and brought up in the new multicultural society, are more tolerant towards the Japanese and people of other ethnic and social backgrounds. I think the older generation find it harder to forget the atrocities committed during the war and the big spending "invasion" by Japanese businesses in the late 70's and 80's, which bought up huge chunks of Queensland, which coined the phrase "they couldn't take Austraila with a bayonet so they took it with a chequebook".
Regardless of where you are in the world, you will still find people who are biased on race, religion, sexual orientation etc, as you could probably guess.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 10:07 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foopsy

Thank you.
Hi Foopsy

Agree with The Bloke comments above. If you come across it you will be most unlucky. I came across some as a Kiwi while in Brisbane but so did I encounter some great guys and hey I support the Maroons so its not that bad

My OH is Chinese so faced the same issues as you.

If Queensland doesnt work out come down to Victoria and enjoy Melbourne
Old Aug 19th 2006, 10:13 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Hi Foopsy

Agree with The Bloke comments above. If you come across it you will be most unlucky. I came across some as a Kiwi while in Brisbane but so did I encounter some great guys and hey I support the Maroons so its not that bad

What a Kiwi "Mexican" supporting the Maroons?
Old Aug 19th 2006, 10:20 pm
IS VICK THERE

foopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thebears
Hi Foopsy

Thanks for the input guys - I guessed as much. Bloke - the book is Live and work in Australia and New Zeland by Deborah Penrith and Susan Kelly - but there is an additional 'however.....' at the end of the bit I read.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 10:23 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
What a Kiwi "Mexican" supporting the Maroons?
Only during SOO

Wally is GOD