Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Racism - have your kids or you experienced this, mine have?

Racism - have your kids or you experienced this, mine have?

Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:38 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism - have your kids or you experienced this, mine have?

I have never heard so much **** in my life. i think its you that has the Problem here

Originally Posted by sassenach
Really ,not my impression especially in glasgow ,they live and breath bigotry and hatred .
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

Why would an Englishman be offended at being called a Pom or a Pommie? It's just another one of the many Aussie slang words - it's not derogatory in any way. The Aussies are infamous for their slang, just as the Brits have their own version. Aussies shorten everything - it's just their way. When it comes to sport, the Aussies play the Poms, the Pakies, the Kiwis, the Wogs, etc. There is no disrespect intended. Brits quite opening call Australians Aussies and New Zealanders Kiwis - they are not offended by this and nor should Brits be when it's the other way around.
There will always be exceptions to the rule, when slang is used with an element of menace. To opening insult all Aussies, or any race for that matter, because a handful of them portrait this image is reckless and could well be construed as racism in itself.
By the way, Scots will always be Scots (or Haggis's!!) to the Aussies because Jocks are something boys wear!!
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Why not? if he is proud of where he comes from then go for it!
I also see many other things like car reg names with Scotland or other place names, which shows they must want others to know where they come from, or other things like Arsenal etc...
mind you i have seen some real funny ones too, Commando, Utopia ,
daft lass, midlfecrisis!!
I didnt get my england tattoo until i got to australia ,somehow living here has made me more proud of the fact i was born in england .
And a scot should feel no different ,i say go ahead and get it done and make sure it can be seen.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:43 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tuxtrip
Why would an Englishman be offended at being called a Pom or a Pommie? It's just another one of the many Aussie slang words - it's not derogatory in any way. The Aussies are infamous for their slang, just as the Brits have their own version. Aussies shorten everything - it's just their way. When it comes to sport, the Aussies play the Poms, the Pakies, the Kiwis, the Wogs, etc. There is no disrespect intended. Brits quite opening call Australians Aussies and New Zealanders Kiwis - they are not offended by this and nor should Brits be when it's the other way around.
There will always be exceptions to the rule, when slang is used with an element of menace. To opening insult all Aussies, or any race for that matter, because a handful of them portrait this image is reckless and could well be construed as racism in itself.
By the way, Scots will always be Scots (or Haggis's!!) to the Aussies because Jocks are something boys wear!!
Im english and i find it derogatory ,if you arnt english you wouldnt understand .There are heaps of english who dont find it derogatory ,good for them its a put down full stop thus depending on the context it is a form of verbal bullying by the community [ie medis etc]and if you dont take it your a friggin whinger ,well i dont take it and i give it back and believe most of the time recipient of my verbal barage gets the hump ,and why ? because they cant take it .
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:44 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

thats why i dont say it ,i find it offensive and those that say it just to please their australian brethern are just hoping the snide remarks will stop if they put themselves down first thus taking the power out of the word before it starts getting used in the form of you F--k--g pom

I wouldn't have described that as 'sucking up to their Australian cousins' - each to their own. I still find it bizarre that you use the name 'sassenach' when you have such strong views on Brits calling themselves Poms.

As I say - thats probably just me

Lynne
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
I have never heard so much **** in my life. i think its you that has the Problem here
really why is that ?is that a glasgow rangers top onyour avatar ,if it is you know exactly what im talkin about .
My father is an ulsterman and one of the biggest lambeg bashing flute playin sash wearing billy boy singing prods going .I know what the west coast of scotland is like .Oh by the way i like rangers too but i dont like the politics of either side of the divide ,and it was this i was refering too .
And to try and say it doesnt exist is crap .
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:56 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Ah!!! Now i understand, this is a football thing then

really why is that ?is that a glasgow rangers top onyour avatar ,if it is you know exactly what im talkin about .
My father is an ulsterman and one of the biggest lambeg bashing flute playin sash wearing billy boy singing prods going .I know what the west coast of scotland is like .Oh by the way i like rangers too but i dont like the politics of either side of the divide ,and it was this i was refering too .
And to try and say it doesnt exist is crap .
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I wouldn't have described that as 'sucking up to their Australian cousins' - each to their own. I still find it bizarre that you use the name 'sassenach' when you have such strong views on Brits calling themselves Poms.

As I say - thats probably just me

Lynne
brits dont call themselves poms ,english in general do .
i have yet to hear a welshman ,scotsman,irishman call himself a pom ,god knows why as i was always under the impression prisoner of his/her majesty and there was bound to be convicts from all over the british isles taken on the prison ships all them years ago .I reckon the welsh ,irish ,scots know its a derogatory remark and thats why they alway deny they are a pom and the english just havent woke up to it yet .
I call my self sassenach because thats what i am ,born in england .
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:11 pm
Banned

Ah!!! Now i understand, this is a football thing then
yea right ,what happens in scotland aint got eff all to do with football ,its down to small mindedness on all sides .
just as it is perceived to be ok to call someone a pape ,croppie ,taig .by some of the community makes it some how acceptable and eventually it becomes the norm amongst the wider community .
Just as the word pom is acceptable here in aussie and is bandied around so much its acceptable to the wider community ,it creates division .
Ive seen it all in the media here ,if there aint nothing of newsworthiness out come the pom bashing articles .The letters in the papers go through cycles of blaming poms for just about everthing that is wrong in australia .
When the economy is down ,who do they blame ?,oh its the poms takin our jobs,oh its the queen you know ,and if we was a republic everything would be sweet so its the poms fault .
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

All the Poms I know call the Scots 'Jocks'. They don't seem to be offended by this.
I love the Scots - they're thick-skinned like the Aussies. Knock 'em down and they get back up again, and again, and again. Tomorrow's rubgy match should be a good one.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:26 pm
UK is Home

Ok, I hear what your saying BUT! from what your saying does this mean you simply have a problem with society in general. What is it exactly your trying to say?

yea right ,what happens in scotland aint got eff all to do with football ,its down to small mindedness on all sides .
just as it is perceived to be ok to call someone a pape ,croppie ,taig .by some of the community makes it some how acceptable and eventually it becomes the norm amongst the wider community .
Just as the word pom is acceptable here in aussie and is bandied around so much its acceptable to the wider community ,it creates division .
Ive seen it all in the media here ,if there aint nothing of newsworthiness out come the pom bashing articles .The letters in the papers go through cycles of blaming poms for just about everthing that is wrong in australia .
When the economy is down ,who do they blame ?,oh its the poms takin our jobs,oh its the queen you know ,and if we was a republic everything would be sweet so its the poms fault .
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:28 pm
UK is Home

Aye, but sometimes when you get knocked down ( especially in Glasgow) you should stay down. they may just give you a big sloppy Glesga kiss

Originally Posted by Tuxtrip
All the Poms I know call the Scots 'Jocks'. They don't seem to be offended by this.
I love the Scots - they're thick-skinned like the Aussies. Knock 'em down and they get back up again, and again, and again. Tomorrow's rubgy match should be a good one.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aye, but sometimes when you get knocked down ( especially in Glasgow) you should stay down. they may just give you a big sloppy Glesga kiss
Thanks, I'll remember that!!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

brits dont call themselves poms ,english in general do .
i have yet to hear a welshman ,scotsman,irishman call himself a pom ,god knows why as i was always under the impression prisoner of his/her majesty and there was bound to be convicts from all over the british isles taken on the prison ships all them years ago .I reckon the welsh ,irish ,scots know its a derogatory remark and thats why they alway deny they are a pom and the english just havent woke up to it yet .
I call my self sassenach because thats what i am ,born in england .
I am half Welsh and half English and regularly refer to myself as a Pom - raises a laugh at work, does me no harm. Quite proud of it actually, instead of being an anonymous person in an office, if I sign an email "the Emergency Services Resident Pom " then the recipients know exactly who I am
Old Nov 24th 2006, 5:19 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Racism - have your kids or you experienced this, mine have?

Originally Posted by ali south
thanks to everyone who has replied

I personally find it hard to talk to the kids about the way sports are advertised here, the cricket ads are really irratating Jack, I find the jokes funny???

A couple of other points

One fifth of the staff at the school where I work are English or Irish, the cultural jokes are funny and in jest - that is great

secondly as a family we are all (including the kids) very proud to be able to live in this fantastic country, it has cost us many tears and lots of heartache over the years in trying to get here

lastly my concern today was that an adult felt the need to approach a young adult, totally unecessary, of course he is going to wear his England shirt, it looks nice, he is 15 and he is proud to be British, does not mean he does not love Australia, as another post said, it is not the kids that make the decision to move here

thanks everyone, your replies have been interesting
Tara
Good for you Tara, you've got the right attitude.

I think it's great that your son is proud to be British and wears his English shirt. Aussies are patriotic (but not in the American way) and they respect patriotism in others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.