Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Racism - have your kids or you experienced this, mine have?

Racism - have your kids or you experienced this, mine have?

Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:57 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Racism - have your kids or you experienced this, mine have?

Originally Posted by sassenach
i agree the word pom is used a lot by the english ,i suppose its a bit like the blacks using the N word .
Personally when in England I never heard English people running around calling each other Pommies where as here you frequently hear it but from the Aussies. Can't see the point in the English calling the English Pommies as we aren't it's actually the Aussie convicts that were and I'm sure they are dead now.

Think the whole thing is just in the forefront at the moment as the English or just warming up to beating the Aussies at cricket which they hate more than sarcasm.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:58 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Racism - have your kids or you experienced this, mine have?

Originally Posted by Tuxtrip
That is absolute bollocks.
Really ,not my impression especially in glasgow ,they live and breath bigotry and hatred .
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:01 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by annqldau
Personally when in England I never heard English people running around calling each other Pommies where as here you frequently hear it but from the Aussies. Can't see the point in the English calling the English Pommies as we aren't it's actually the Aussie convicts that were and I'm sure they are dead now.

Think the whole thing is just in the forefront at the moment as the English or just warming up to beating the Aussies at cricket which they hate more than sarcasm.
i have never heard the english calling each other poms in england either ,its just said here in aussie as a self put down by the english to suck up to their australian cousins .
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:13 pm

i have never heard the english calling each other poms in england either ,its just said here in aussie as a self put down by the english to suck up to their australian cousins .
None of my cousins here and I just wouldn't think of calling another English person a pommie are you sure the ones doing it aren't second generation and Aussies really.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

But its ok to say we dont like water and are a dirty load of gits and avoid soap at all cost .
There are generalisations about every nation ,but the english are expected to swallow it here in aussie without a right of reply .Because if you do yo aint playing the game and lieing down and takin the rubbish they say to you .
You tell me why the OP children should put up with that crap ,it will only make a young adolescent dislike the people he is living around beacuse he feels he doesnt fit in ,in what is supposed to one of the most multi cultural countries in the world .
My children have experienced it their whole lifes and the eldest especially has developed an unhealthy attitude towards aussie and cant wait to get out of here ,this has had a knock on effect to the whole family over the years ,and although we migrated here with every intention to assimalate it hasnt happened because i dont like the racist undertones of the australian character ,especially towards aboriginals .
You are right i dont like australians ,but i have tried to like them .
I am sorry that you have experienced this. My experience has been the opposite. I have two Scotitsh born sons who feel more Australian than Scottish! They have never experienced the attitude from Australians that you describe. This is an example of how experiences are different and why generalizations should not be made.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:14 pm
Banned

None of my cousins here and I just wouldn't think of calling another English person a pommie are you sure the ones doing it aren't second generation and Aussies really.
no i have heard it and it makes me cringe .
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:17 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

I have just read through most of this post and thought this would be a good place to ask this:

My OH is planning to get a tattoo at the top of his back which anyone will be able to read from what i think 20metres away, which will read!

Son Of Scotland

Do you think this would be wise? or will he get a few bashings?
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
I have just read through most of this post and thought this would be a good place to ask this:

My OH is planning to get a tattoo at the top of his back which anyone will be able to read from what i think 20metres away, which will read!

Son Of Scotland

May get called a Jock as a result which some may find offensive... .

Think having country obvious anything that you can't remove quickly is always a bad move for if the mood of an area changes as it labels you straight away. I'm shagged anyway as I just have to speak but then again they think I'm everything but English so could get away with it.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:21 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Its probably just me, but I find that a bizarre comment from someone with the name 'sassenach'

Lynne
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:25 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

I`m sure being called a Jock is something he will take in his stride.

May get called a Jock as a result which some may find offensive... .

Think having country obvious anything that you can't remove quickly is always a bad move for if the mood of an area changes as it labels you straight away. I'm shagged anyway as I just have to speak but then again they think I'm everything but English so could get away with it.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga

Son Of Scotland

Why not? if he is proud of where he comes from then go for it!
I also see many other things like car reg names with Scotland or other place names, which shows they must want others to know where they come from, or other things like Arsenal etc...
mind you i have seen some real funny ones too, Commando, Utopia ,
daft lass, midlfecrisis!!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:27 pm
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GreenTea
It realy doesn't matter whether your Scottish or English at the end of the day people are always a little anti the other side of the fence, i remember this summer in Scotland, England fans being assaulted for wearing the England colours. I also have memories of visiting England and being called a jock (which I hate) because I am Scottish and not a jock. so this attitude is prevelant all over the world, and by the way yourve got to remember when we visit other countries we are the imigrants, and how are imigrants treated in the UK?

GreanTea
Thats Pants Green Tea,

I'm English and I've lived in Scotland for 16 years, and at one point the racism i experiences from my boss was so bad that I had to leave my job! On the other hand, I have NEVER EVER EVER been racisct towards a Scot or any other race.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Gibbo
I am sorry that you have experienced this. My experience has been the opposite. I have two Scotitsh born sons who feel more Australian than Scottish! They have never experienced the attitude from Australians that you describe. This is an example of how experiences are different and why generalizations should not be made.
True ,every persons experience is different but at the end of the day our experiences in life are what shape us as people and also makes us form opinions .
Just as the australian aboriginal looks at the white man with utter disgust because he sees him/her as nothing buta robbing barsteward who has come to take more land off them ,its a generalisation and i am sure the couples arriving on the planes from the uk etc dont see them selves like that but the australian aboriginal has formed an opinion of all whites ,just as i and my childern have formed an opinion of white australians rightly of wrongly its all down to experience .
I dare say the people in different parts of australia would possibly seem different in attitude and approachability compared to the people in perth ,perth and west australia is well known for being parochial and i dont think they like themselves let alone anyone else but that is a generalisation too .
I have travelled briefly over to the eastern states and i indeed found the people much more amenable ,but wether that was because i was in holiday mode and everything seems rose tinted ,i cant really say .
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Its probably just me, but I find that a bizarre comment from someone with the name 'sassenach'

Lynne
thats why i dont say it ,i find it offensive and those that say it just to please their australian brethern are just hoping the snide remarks will stop if they put themselves down first thus taking the power out of the word before it starts getting used in the form of you F--k--g pom
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:35 pm
UK is Home

Well! your boss was a complete slaphead! I hope you gave him a right telling before you left

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
Thats Pants Green Tea,

I'm English and I've lived in Scotland for 16 years, and at one point the racism i experiences from my boss was so bad that I had to leave my job! On the other hand, I have NEVER EVER EVER been racisct towards a Scot or any other race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.