Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Racism - have your kids or you experienced this, mine have?

Racism - have your kids or you experienced this, mine have?

Old Nov 24th 2006, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

mardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Racism - have your kids or you experienced this, mine have?

We have encountered light-hearted jokes such as "look at your white Pommy legs" etc since we've been here, to which we reply - "nah, not Poms, Welsh"!
But seriously, I agree wholeheartedly with the previous comment - the real victims of racism here are the Aboriginals, and not just from the Aussies. I had to listen for a frustrating few hours to an English woman who has been here a year and a half and knows the bloody lot call them every name under the sun. I was apalled.
In addition, we all live with racism each and every day in all the world's countries. You will get nowhere worse than the U.K for it!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

thanks to everyone who has replied

I personally find it hard to talk to the kids about the way sports are advertised here, the cricket ads are really irratating Jack, I find the jokes funny???

A couple of other points

One fifth of the staff at the school where I work are English or Irish, the cultural jokes are funny and in jest - that is great

secondly as a family we are all (including the kids) very proud to be able to live in this fantastic country, it has cost us many tears and lots of heartache over the years in trying to get here

lastly my concern today was that an adult felt the need to approach a young adult, totally unecessary, of course he is going to wear his England shirt, it looks nice, he is 15 and he is proud to be British, does not mean he does not love Australia, as another post said, it is not the kids that make the decision to move here

thanks everyone, your replies have been interesting
Tara
Old Nov 24th 2006, 10:58 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mardybum
We have encountered light-hearted jokes such as "look at your white Pommy legs" etc since we've been here, to which we reply - "nah, not Poms, Welsh"!
But seriously, I agree wholeheartedly with the previous comment - the real victims of racism here are the Aboriginals, and not just from the Aussies. I had to listen for a frustrating few hours to an English woman who has been here a year and a half and knows the bloody lot call them every name under the sun. I was apalled.
In addition, we all live with racism each and every day in all the world's countries. You will get nowhere worse than the U.K for it!
Fair comment ,i have heard it too they are the most marginalised people in australia and the people of australia should be trying to give them a leg up and stop putting them down .
I have heard terrible things about aboriginals by and large by people who wouldnt dare sat to their faces as they would be on the end of a good floggin
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:02 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sassenach
Fair comment ,i have heard it too they are the most marginalised people in australia and the people of australia should be trying to give them a leg up and stop putting them down .
I have heard terrible things about aboriginals by and large by people who wouldnt dare sat to their faces as they would be on the end of a good floggin
yes that would be true! i do find them intimidating and i got stared out by one which scared the life out of me! A group of them fire-bombed a school near to me just for the fun of it. So i'm not too sure what i think of them yet!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

But its ok to say we dont like water and are a dirty load of gits and avoid soap at all cost .
There are generalisations about every nation ,but the english are expected to swallow it here in aussie without a right of reply .Because if you do yo aint playing the game and lieing down and takin the rubbish they say to you .
You tell me why the OP children should put up with that crap ,it will only make a young adolescent dislike the people he is living around beacuse he feels he doesnt fit in ,in what is supposed to one of the most multi cultural countries in the world .
My children have experienced it their whole lifes and the eldest especially has developed an unhealthy attitude towards aussie and cant wait to get out of here ,this has had a knock on effect to the whole family over the years ,and although we migrated here with every intention to assimalate it hasnt happened because i dont like the racist undertones of the australian character ,especially towards aboriginals .
You are right i dont like australians ,but i have tried to like them .

Is there another part of England you like less than others by any chance. The reason I ask, in all honesty I found more antigonism towards me in the UK Up North, for being a Londoner, than I've ever found in all of my 26 years here in Aussie for being a pom.

Mind you I would have been giving it the big up, on my Youthful and football orientated forays up north, and probably overstating the bar approach with My ,"Light and Bitter ta Luv" in any boozer that I found myself in...... So little wonder really

Can't get Light and Bitter here

I reckon it's all to do with approach.... followed by Perth

BTW... No kids with English accents in any school that our kids have been to in the North Subs of Melbourne, Irish and Scottish ...yes.. But no English in all our time here.

I've Definitely been called a Cockney K..t, with venom far more times than I've ever been called a Pommy Bas...rd.... Thats despite the fact that I'm from Sarf London and not a Cockney

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 24th 2006 at 11:07 am.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:06 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

If we are being honest about it the entire human race has a tendancy towards racism.. we are all more confortable with people who look like us.. its a genetic fact. Its more an issue of how we handle that and how each society handles it. I still say that Australia is more casually racist than the UK, but its all down personal experience.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

"POMMY-BASHING'' will be outlawed if WA's Ethnic Communities Council gets its way.
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...4-2761,00.html
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Eagle. I agree with the N/S thing.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

callie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paulrachel
yes that would be true! i do find them intimidating and i got stared out by one which scared the life out of me! A group of them fire-bombed a school near to me just for the fun of it. So i'm not too sure what i think of them yet!
Um guys,

really don't think you should be referring to a group of individuals, the majority of which you will never meet as 'them'. People are people, good ones and bad ones.

just a thought
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Eagle. I agree with the N/S thing.
Looks like it happens at different levels around the country this having a go at Poms stuff. With it hardly happening in Melbourne. Similar to travelling to Plymouth as a Londoner. To Perth, where everyone seems to cop it occasionally, Same as a Londoner going to Manchester, 25 years ago. (does it still happen ?)

Personally I dont see any difference in the type of Abuse we used to get N/S in the UK as what seems to happen to Poms here.

I'm surprised at the seemingly different levels of this intolerance around the Country.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:20 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Is there another part of England you like less than others by any chance. The reason I ask, in all honesty I found more antigonism towards me in the UK Up North, for being a Londoner, than I've ever found in all of my 26 years here in Aussie for being a pom.

Mind you I would have been giving it the big up, on my Youthful and football orientated forays up north, and probably overstating the bar approach with My ,"Light and Bitter ta Luv" in any boozer that I found myself in...... So little wonder really

Can't get Light and Bitter here

I reckon it's all to do with approach.... followed by Perth

BTW... No kids with English accents in any school that our kids have been to in the North Subs of Melbourne, Irish and Scottish ...yes.. But no English in all our time here.

I've Definitely been called a Cockney K..t, with venom far more times than I've ever been called a Pommy Bas...rd.... Thats despite the fact that I'm from Sarf London and not a Cockney
I think with the uk it has always been about economics ,the south is always perceived to richer and thus they are softer ,whereas anybody up north has worked in pit and has had to eat their children for breakfast because life is so hard and tough .
All a load of hogwash of course ,if you are living in the north and you want money you go south ,which is what i did but if you want a cheaper way of life with less stress and good pubs ,you go north they both have their pluses and minuses just like australia i suppose .
I found the people in the south of england very welcoming but i do know northerners who just wanted to get back up north beacause of the baiting that went on .
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I think with the uk it has always been about economics ,the south is always perceived to richer and thus they are softer ,whereas anybody up north has worked in pit and has had to eat their children for breakfast because life is so hard and tough .
All a load of hogwash of course ,if you are living in the north and you want money you go south ,which is what i did but if you want a cheaper way of life with less stress and good pubs ,you go north they both have their pluses and minuses just like australia i suppose .
I found the people in the south of england very welcoming but i do know northerners who just wanted to get back up north beacause of the baiting that went on .
In my observations its normally the northers that do the baiting(!) In the forces I felt sory for southerner soldiers who were outnumbered by northern soldiers.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:40 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callie.rocky
Um guys,

really don't think you should be referring to a group of individuals, the majority of which you will never meet as 'them'. People are people, good ones and bad ones.

just a thought
Spot on
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
In my observations its normally the northers that do the baiting(!) In the forces I felt sory for southerner soldiers who were outnumbered by northern soldiers.
you may well be right .
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

yes ,edinburgh
I am well aware of the bigotted claptrap in scotland and the strange thing is a fair amount of the population thinks its ok ,developing a hatred towards anybody because they are different is not healthy for any nation and the white australian has an inbuilt hatred for any new arrivals ,you only have to ask the italians,vietnamese,lebanese,yugoslavs and of course the never ending supply of brits who come here and just because a large percentage of the population think its right to be racist towards these people is in my book no different than the orange and the green crap with all the croppie ,pape ,jokes that go around .As far as i have seen there is only one nation thet is disliked more in australia than the english and thats the australian himself and i mean the true australian and thats the black man.

That is absolute bollocks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.