Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Racism in Australia against Asian people

Racism in Australia against Asian people

Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism in Australia against Asian people

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Nah, you're confusing it with www.indiangodowndownunder.com
Is it safe?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
not really

what do you think would be said on here if i`d opened a thread saying english only non english need not answer??

it works both ways
Sometimes, I wish someone would!!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:59 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Is it safe?
I took a quick peek and got hit by a virus. I think it might be telling me that it is about to format my hard drive but I can't really tell as the pop-ups are all written in Urdu...
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Just had to ask Tr1, is there any difference in reactions here in Aus v the UK to your partner and yourself.
Well it's a bit hard to say in terms of working day to day normal life, because apart from 3mths in 2006, and about 3 holidays to the UK on top of that, we've never lived in the UK as a couple.

But we are planning a permanent move there at the end of this year. Whenever we've been to the UK we have never been on the receiving end of any adverse reactions. My parents come from Somerset which is not exactly the pinacle of enlightened sophistication, but everyone at my Dad's bowls club were very interested in our story and took an instant likening to my wife. But she is very friendly and has lots of respect for older people.

Amongst my old motorbike racing buddies, whenever we went to to the pub, evryone was friendly. Closer to London and around Bucks where my sister lives, we hardly got a second glance. Mrs Triboy does think England is very Anglo (not London though) and we are quite 'citified', but even she has commented on the changes she's seen there in diversity (good and bad) since her first trip in 05.

She was received very well in all interviews, and nobody made any mention of the fact that English wasn't her first language. She is in the top 3% for academic achievement in her chosen degree, and they seem to like that (here and there).

Here in Sydney obviously nobody bats much of an eyelid and they love me in Eastwood because I can speak Korean. I've only once ever heard someone call her 'a f***ing gook' and that was shouted by some brave warrior in a car whilst we were walking along in Lane Cove, where we live (north of Sydney City).

Nearly all of our social life revolves around triathlon and cycle racing, but mostly the former, nobody has ever said anything there either. To be honest it's been pretty neutral all around. We get most 'looks' when we're in Korea and the questions seem to be of a curious nature than anything vindictive. I'm sure things would be different in different parts of Oz, and I'm sure they might be different in some parts of the UK, but generally, all good

The type of jobs we do, and the company we keep probably dictate that we'll always be close to large, sophisticated cities (but not right in them) and mix with people of different backgrounds, so we probably don't notice even if there is a reaction.

Others might see it differently, but I reckon some people go looking for it, if you know what I mean. I'm used to being surrounded by difference through the countries I've lived in.

I guess the most common reaction in the UK is that they assume my wife is Japanese. I guess we are very different from the norm, but like a frog in ever hotter water, I've not noticed the difference. (until it's too late )
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

what do you think would be said on here if i`d opened a thread saying english only non english need not answer??
No problem if you had a particular issue relevant to only English people?! you're not being insulting, it's like me asking woman what they think of Aussie men, or teachers asking other teachers for advice??! I may be missing something though, this site seems extremely aggressive lately....Im a bit scared...
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
. . . this site seems extremely aggressive lately....Im a bit scared...
We're coming into the rutting season . . . don't be alarmed, it'll soon pass.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spartacus
We're coming into the rutting season . . . don't be alarmed, it'll soon pass.
Judging by ever increasing number of white-asian couples it's just starting
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:16 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mipik
Judging by ever increasing number of white-asian couples it's just starting
Is this a Jihadist 'Call to Arms' as I don't understand what it means?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

You do make me laugh!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

That was an observation on the rutting season....

My wife of many years is SE Asian so things like that catch my eye. I honestly think that the the numbers of mixed couples in here are increasing fast.

That is a sure sign of growing tolerance and acceptance.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:24 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by Mipik
That was an observation on the rutting season....

My wife of many years is SE Asian so things like that catch my eye. I honestly think that the the numbers of mixed couples in here are increasing fast.

That is a sure sign of growing tolerance and acceptance.
I'm guessing that my love of 'Chicken Jalfrezi' doesn't really fall into this category?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

That is a sure sign of growing tolerance and acceptance

Are you advocating something along the lines of "make love not war"!?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Aware of the danger of steering this thread into serious direction for a short moment I've talked with the wife about her perceptions of living here and in a bit over 2 years she has not noticed any "racist" attitude towards her.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Back to norm.

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde

Are you advocating something along the lines of "make love not war"!?

Not so much advocating as observing.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing that my love of 'Chicken Jalfrezi' doesn't really fall into this category?
Not if its cooked by our local excuse for a Indian takeaway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.