Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Racism in Australia against Asian people

Racism in Australia against Asian people

Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:04 am
Banned

ajsingh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Racism in Australia against Asian people

I am starting a new thread to hear comments/opinions/views on racism in Australia against people from Asian decent. I started this discussion last time some uneducated morons hijacked the topic. So please respond if you fall in the catergory of asian decent and have some helpful input to this matter. If you do not fall in the category, please dont waste your time and move on.

I know Racism exists every where in the world to some degree. What I really want to know is - obvious racism. For example,
Have any one of you experienced some thugs making derogatory remarks or jesture towards you in public place like in trains etc.
Do you feel unwelcome in Australia because your neighbor is pain in the ass?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:08 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism in Australia against Asian people

Originally Posted by ajsingh
I am starting a new thread to hear comments/opinions/views on racism in Australia against people from Asian decent. I started this discussion last time some uneducated morons hijacked the topic. So please respond if you fall in the catergory of asian decent and have some helpful input to this matter. If you do not fall in the category, please dont waste your time and move on.

I know Racism exists every where in the world to some degree. What I really want to know is - obvious racism. For example,
Have any one of you experienced some thugs making derogatory remarks or jesture towards you in public place like in trains etc.
i think you`ll find that this is a public forum,
and as such any one can put forward their views
if you want it asian only then i suggest that you open your own forum and vet the menbers

regards steve
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

if you want it asian only then i suggest that you open your own forum and vet the menbers

Thats a little bit harsh isn't it? isn't the poster is just asking specific people for their experiences? and not wanting it to descend into a debate on racism in general?
Not really any different from the loners forum, or the Sydney forum or whatever...
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Thats a little bit harsh isn't it? isn't the poster is just asking specific people for their experiences? and not wanting it to descend into a debate on racism in general?
Not really any different from the loners forum, or the Sydney forum or whatever...
No, the OP was specifically excluding non-asians from the thread. Hence being racist. So yes, there is racism in Australia, and it appears to be coming from someone purporting to be asian.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I didn't really see that myself, but don't want to contribute to the said descent!.......
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James516
No, the OP was specifically excluding non-asians from the thread. Hence being racist. So yes, there is racism in Australia, and it appears to be coming from someone purporting to be asian.
Yes, I think its quite funny to start a thread on racism and then exclude every race other than Asian!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:37 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Not of Asian decent myself - but my wife is... (and therefore my kids too)

Certainly no noticable issues with anti-asian racism here in Brisbane. Having said that you might want to qualify the term 'Asian'. As a general term Asian ( in Australia) is used most often to describe those of a Chinese/Japanese/Korean/SEAsian background and not so much subcontinental Asian background. (For the record my family are of Philippino origin)

Whilst SEAsian immigration has been common in Australia for a long time and large populations have become accustomed and adjusted to their presence, the large scale immigration of subcontinental Asians is a far more recent affair and there may still be a lack of familiarity in some sections of society - and with that lack of familiarity and perceived increase in immigration there may be resentment by some of societies dregs.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajsingh

I think you are going to find there is not a large asian membership on BE. The members here are for the most part British so would not have the experiences you are looking for.

As for rasicm? It's not only directed toward Asians or blacks or Aboriginals. Nor is it only perpetrated by Australians. A lot of it comes from immigrants as well and is aimed toward anyone who doesn't fit with their idea of someone who belongs.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:38 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o

regards steve
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:39 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I think you are going to find there is not a large asian membership on BE. The members here are for the most part British so would not have the experiences you are looking for.

As for rasicm? It's not only directed toward Asians or blacks or Aboriginals. Nor is it only perpetrated by Australians. A lot of it comes from immigrants as well and is aimed toward anyone who doesn't fit with their idea of someone who belongs.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

The poster asks for people of Asian DESCENT, they would be British.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Not of Asian decent myself - but my wife is... (and therefore my kids too)

Certainly no noticable issues with anti-asian racism here in Brisbane. Having said that you might want to qualify the term 'Asian'. As a general term Asian ( in Australia) is used most often to describe those of a Chinese/Japanese/Korean/SEAsian background and not so much subcontinental Asian background. (For the record my family are of Philippino origin)

Whilst SEAsian immigration has been common in Australia for a long time and large populations have become accustomed and adjusted to their presence, the large scale immigration of subcontinental Asians is a far more recent affair and there may still be a lack of familiarity in some sections of society - and with that lack of familiarity and perceived increase in immigration there may be resentment by some of societies dregs.
Yes concur with the above post. If one uses the term Asian in Australia, most Australians will think of people from South East Asia and China. Chinese Migration has been going on here since the Gold Rush of the mid 1850's.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:43 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

not really

what do you think would be said on here if i`d opened a thread saying english only non english need not answer??

it works both ways
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

The poster asks for people of Asian DESCENT, they would be British.
Possibly. I thought the OP was asking for Asian members who were migrating from Asia, though. I have been known to be incorrect, though.

As for "rasicm", I think the word is used far too often. Discrimination is the word I would use for a lot of what goes on. People are discriminated against because they are the wrong sex, because they speak with a different accent, because they are from a different country, or because their opinions may be different.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:49 am
Worongary

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Possibly. I thought the OP was asking for Asian members who were migrating from Asia, though. I have been known to be incorrect, though.

As for "rasicm", I think the word is used far too often. Discrimination is the word I would use for a lot of what goes on. People are discriminated against because they are the wrong sex, because they speak with a different accent, because they are from a different country, or because their opinions may be different.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...searchid=86190

having read the OP`s other posts i`d suggest deleteing the thread before its turned into another slanging match

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.