Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Racism in Australia

Racism in Australia

Old Dec 11th 2010, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism in Australia

Originally Posted by ponyrama
So you are saying that indigenous people have made racist comments towards you? And that they are "usually nice people when not under the influence"

I said I worked in an Indigenous community (not people) and had racisit comments made towards me by a few individuals about the colour of my skin. The individuals who made the comments (sorry will correct that) are usually nice people when not under the influence.

Its racist because you first you labelled them as indigenous, then you commented on the fact that they are usually "nice people" when sober. Not only are you stereotyping, you are passing judgement on their character based on their state of intoxication. You may not have intended your post to come across that way.............but it does!

Unless of course you are saying that its the non-indigenous residents of this community that have made racist comments towards you?
I used the correct term for the community as it's not a native community. I wasn't labelling anyone with any tag.

As I get to know an awful lot about the previously mentioned individuals, I know if they require services for their addictions, as it's part of my work, so not stereo typing, simply going from work I've done with these individuals. They give me their issues and I assist them in solving their issues through the correct services, I don't judge as they tell me what their issues are!

Hope that's cleared it up for you. Can see why you're on your high horse, from my initial post, but you're very wrong in your assumptions.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 11:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
30 years 6 months and 11 days.
Late starter then.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 11:33 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Late starter then.
It's how long I've been married.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 11:35 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

But being a new immigrant of English and Irish descent, I regularly experience racism. <snip> they are being racist. And it ****** pisses me off!
No, they are not being racist. Bigoted, intolerant or prejudiced, but not racist. Being English or Irish is not a race; it is a nationality.
If I (or anyone else) is offended by comments made, or treatment they receive because of their country of origin - its racism.
Again, no it's not. From Dictionary.com: rac·ism   /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Show [rey-siz-uhm]
–noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gh_be_aussie
Forgive me to discuss this topic. but this is something really serious and point of view of many millions ..

Most of the people i told that i am moving to OZ, they reacted with feeling that i am moving to a racist country (against Asians in particular). I do not know the basis of this image and how i can remove it but i know people opinion always has some solid background.

Can you please share opinions what kind of racism issues an asian (indian, pakistani) in particular can face at the work and family life. I think probability of racism incidents should be less in sydney though than suburbs....
As I understand, your question is "Will I be discriminated against in Australia for being a Pakistani?" The answer is yes. This discrimination can manifest itself in many ways in your day to day life. Here's a few example:

1. If you travel late night by bus, a few drunk Australians will throw racial comments at you.

2. In pubs, bartenders will tend to notice you after serving everyone else, though you've been standing there for quite a while.

3. If you go to a car dealer and check out an expensive car, you will get a bizarre look from the sales guy that says 'you can't afford that!'

4. Submit your application for a rental and you are less likely to get it than some others.

5. Other things being equal, you have to be twice as good as a local Australian in order to get the same job.

6. Your Australian neighbour will have little interest in mingling with your family. Apart from a few workplace acquaintances, you are unlikely to make any Aussie friends, even if your communication skills are good.

7. In shopping malls, your bags will be checked more thoroughly than others.

8. Sydney airport customs will likely ask you to open your luggage but let your fellow passengers walk past.

9. In Sydney northern suburbs, you will often get this 'why are you here' look.

10. In Sydney's southern suburbs, you will often get that 'we are full' look.

11. Australians will always behave with you in a way that shows they are doing you a favor by letting you live in their country.

12. The same suggestion/recommendation at a work place will be taken more seriously if it comes from a local. You will generally be less trusted at work places.

You will mostly face discrimination from the younger or older segments of the population. I am not suggesting that all Australians are racist, probably only 10%. But you will likely remember this 10% more than the other 90%.

Last but not the least, I am not also suggesting that the Pakis are any angels. Perhaps you quite deservingly earn some of the above treatments.

Hope it helps.........
Old Dec 11th 2010, 3:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caliburn
As I understand, your question is "Will I be discriminated against in Australia for being a Pakistani?" The answer is yes. This discrimination can manifest itself in many ways in your day to day life. Here's a few example:

1. If you travel late night by bus, a few drunk Australians will throw racial comments at you.

2. In pubs, bartenders will tend to notice you after serving everyone else, though you've been standing there for quite a while.

3. If you go to a car dealer and check out an expensive car, you will get a bizarre look from the sales guy that says 'you can't afford that!'

4. Submit your application for a rental and you are less likely to get it than some others.

5. Other things being equal, you have to be twice as good as a local Australian in order to get the same job.

6. Your Australian neighbour will have little interest in mingling with your family. Apart from a few workplace acquaintances, you are unlikely to make any Aussie friends, even if your communication skills are good.

8. Sydney airport customs will likely ask you to open your luggage but let your fellow passengers walk past.

11. Australians will always behave with you in a way that shows they are doing you a favor by letting you live in their country.

12. The same suggestion/recommendation at a work place will be taken more seriously if it comes from a local. You will generally be less trusted at work places.

You will mostly face discrimination from the younger or older segments of the population. I am not suggesting that all Australians are racist, probably only 10%. But you will likely remember this 10% more than the other 90%.

Last but not the least, I am not also suggesting that the Pakis are any angels. Perhaps you quite deservingly earn some of the above treatments.

Hope it helps.........
To be fair, a lot of the above could be applied to Brits - or indeed any immigrant - though.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
To be fair, a lot of the above could be applied to Brits - or indeed any immigrant - though.
Yes you are right..... number 4 and 7 specifically apply to Brits...
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:01 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are right..... number 4 and 7 specifically apply to Brits...
i,2 and 5 often apply to women too
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:15 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Stay away from bogan north queensland and you'll all be fine
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
i,2 and 5 often apply to women too
Wow, what a day.... you're right again! 2 specifically applies to shorter women and 5 to smaller.............boobs. Such a racist country...
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:35 pm
Home and Happy

Wow, what a day.... you're right again! 2 specifically applies to shorter women and 5 to smaller.............boobs. Such a racist country...
Hmmm not sure I'd quite agree, 5'6 and not the smallest but getting served in pubs here ain't easy, staff almost always go to the blokes first ....or maybe its just me they don't like the look of
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

aahmed is an unknown quantity at this point

In India we have Religionism and at so high level that people kill each other then we have regionalism like Maharashtra ( Marathi Manus concept) and then citism works. Similarly in Pakistan, Shia , Sunni etc .

I see , any *ism as an integral part of human dark side physiology , No city , no State ,No Country ever got rid of it completely , it will exists and bound to exist in different shape. Only intensity changes as per time.

When I decided to migrate, I did a brief evaluation (Believe me, Its really difficult but still I did with available resources) and I found Australia least dangerous *ism country.

My country “India” is much much ahead but that’s my home and I can fight back and I know people from both sides will help me to fight with dark side of the people ,same with Australia.

So I see white side (Now please don’t tag me that I am being racist) not black side, I want my children to grow up in clean society but I can’t have completely clean one so I selected most one.

In short: Australia is the best & safe country by today considering any kind of *ism , a large amount of expat continuously poured in every day , it’s like a bowl of water and there are so many different color streams coming in continuously ,you can’t expect water color to be colorless always , its changes but at the end of day it got balanced. I hope & pray for the same.

Like in India & Pakistan, you take some precaution in a new place to keep yourself and family safe , Follow the similar one , ask locals from your race or nationality, You will be fine.

Above is completely my view.

Last edited by aahmed; Dec 11th 2010 at 4:54 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:20 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No, they are not being racist. Bigoted, intolerant or prejudiced, but not racist. Being English or Irish is not a race; it is a nationality.

Again, no it's not. From Dictionary.com: rac·ism   /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Show [rey-siz-uhm]
–noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
I'm not sure those definitions apply anymore. To say that the anti-semitic actions of The Third Reich were anything but racist would be wrong. Yet Jews are not a race, they are people who follow a religion. A similar behaviour is seen today towards Islam. I think the racism we see today is very little to do with colour of skin. If your definitions of racism were still valid today, then the terms "Paki" and "Abo" could not be deemed racist, after all they are not references to the colours of their skin, but more about where they come from.
I do strongly believe that racism has evolved from those definitions you listed.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:49 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Australia is based on immigration and therefore its situation is a bit different to that of nation-states. Here in Europe we get this debate all the time how people who are against immigration are labelled as racists. FFS, being racist and being against mass-immigration are two different things. After all, very few people are racist if we stick to the true meaning of the word which means that you believe to be better than someone else by the virtue of your birth.

Why don't we ever get to hear about the caste-system of India which is entirely based on this belief that your origin of birth automatically makes you superior or inferior to others?
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

dhama is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent caliburn. your high lights are exact replica of what's happening in oz.

cheers

Hope it helps.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.